On its way to me right now is a Marshall MOSFET Lead 3210 (why does mail seem like it takes YEARS when you have a new toy on the way lol?). I have been interested in one for quite some time as my "home-use JCM", and as an affordable live backup should anything happen to my baby (the 800). Just the other night at a show right when we came out and launched into the first song beer came flying. It's a punk rock band, so that's all part of the energy, but now that I finally got an 800 I'm all paranoid using it live at some of the rowdier shows lol. I may even start using the MOSFET live instead at some of the smaller/rowdier shows. ANYWAY, on to the point:

I need a cab to pair with it. Looking for a 2x12, or cheaper 4x12. This is home practice/demo use and would be a backup should anything happen to my live rig cab. That one is actually not my cab, technically, but I've been using it for a few years now so close enough. But it's a 4x12 with greenbacks and it's just the greatest thing ever paired with the 800 (IMHO). I'd like to get as close to possible to that sound with the MOSFET head and the new cab. Any suggestions? I have seen a few used Marshalls for $299 shipped but when I look them up the descriptions say stuff like "custom voiced celestion" to pair perfectly with the MG/Valvestate/AVT (whichever the model cab is says it's paired with a different head) heads. Does that mean they only sound good with those particular heads?

The three I'm looking at are the Marshall MG412, VS412, and AVT412. All three range from $150-200 (before shipping) and all look to be available in straight or angled configurations. Can I go WRONG with any of those with the MOSFET head? I know they aren't greenbacks or v30s but again, this IS just a home rig and possible backup, the whole point is mimicking my 800 main sound but in a cheaper backup setup. Not to mention they are cheap enough that down the line I could always pick up some greenbacks and put them in if I really desired correct?

If any of those cabs would be good for what I'm aiming for then I am going to order one ASAP (after getting enough feedback) so that it will arrive close to the head. I'm looking for that "classic Marshall tone". It sounds so cliche, but it's the best way to describe it. My tones in my punk band are similar to older Green Day, or bands like Bad Religion, te really warm/smooth overdriven sound as opposed to the scratchy fuzzy hardcore sound. And when I play in my side project band I'm more toward Slash's tones, with influences from most of the bands from the 70s/80s. I know the head is capable of the tones I like because I've played a Mosfet many times, a friend gigs with one. So I just need an affordable cab that can get thise tones to accompany it.

Sorry for the read, thanks in advance for any info/suggestions.
"Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a hollywood basement."
Last edited by Agent51 at Apr 14, 2012,
Those three cabs are rubbish.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list%20guitar.htm
Load one up with Celestion G12T75's, Scumbacks or any other high powered greenbacky type thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah Cath beat me to avatar. A little more than the MG cab, but will be way better. Plus if anything is paired to match the tone of an MG, it's probably shit to begin with
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
Yeah Cath beat me to avatar. A little more than the MG cab, but will be way better. Plus if anything is paired to match the tone of an MG, it's probably shit to begin with

Haha, yeah I'm giving mine to my little brother as soon as the MOSFET gets here. I honestly loved that MG, at first. Then I got the 800 and amps changed forever. Now I can't even play through it unless I'm running the Digitech modeller because straight into the amp just sounds.....not right lol.

Has anyone tried the scumback ones? How are they compared to greenbacks?

Also, slightly off-topic, but the MOSFET has the ugly light brown grill cloth, is it easy to change that to black (I wasn't going to pass up one of these in excellent shape just cause kf the cloth color, but it really is ugly)? And would doing so change resale value? Not that I will probably ever sell it, but you never know. I know that seems weird but people sometimes are super specific about "original everything" etc lol.
"Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a hollywood basement."
Quote by jpatan
Yeah Cath beat me to avatar. A little more than the MG cab, but will be way better.

I got my 4x12 for $100.

TS, can you link us to your local craigslist?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Look in the back of the amp, the front panel probably screws on from the back. To get to all the screws you will probably have to slide out the chassis. From there it's easy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
scumbacks are super close to the original greenbacks. plus you can get them in wattages up to 100.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
call up bsharp music and see what they have in stock.

they usually have a cab or two on the floor.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer