Hey! I'm a bit of a noob with buying guitar things so I was hoping to get some help with buying a new guitar. I've had an Ibanez RG321 for over 4 years now but it's become really battered over the years and to be quite frankly it's put me off playing guitar. I used to play every single day and now I'm finding myself hardly wanting to touch it (although i do have a lovely acoustic which I play sometimes). I've mostly played it unplugged because I only have a rubbish amp and I'm not in a band so I've never felt the need to amplify my sound.

I don't have much other 'gear' but it would be great if I could also get some overall advice on pickups and what else to get with my guitar so I could do some recording of my own bits and pieces. I was thinking of getting an effects processor on top of the guitar (like those boss gt-x ones? line-6 does them as well) but I'm not really sure what would be better. I'd like to be able to do the recording through my laptop through the thing (I know it's not the right section of the forum for that but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone has an opinion).

So, for my budget of up to £400, might stretch it with a good suggestion, I would either like to find:
-Overall good guitar with decent built in pickups (less preferred option)
-Guitar I like the looks of where I could change the pickups to some really good ones within the budget
I would prefer a wooden or glossy white finish, and would quite like the guitar to have a tremolo but not necessary since I've not had one before

I'm looking to play atmospheric black metal so I would like a guitar (and perhaps pickups) which will help me achieve the right sound for the genre. I have no clue on what pick-ups I would want, that's why I'm asking. I also don't know any less well known but good brands of guitar, I feel like I would be buying something way overpriced if I got an Ibanez for £500 for example. I don't mind about the neck as long as it's not too chunky - I don't like Les Paul necks or the ones on those cheap PRS guitars because I've tried one in a shop once upon a time when I was considering buying one of them.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Last edited by Laeriel at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by Laeriel
I also don't know any less well known but good brands of guitar, I feel like I would be buying something way overpriced if I got an Ibanez for £500 for example.

Where do you get that impression? I'm more of a Jackson fan myself, but Ibanez tends to make some of the best value guitars at most price points. They're certainly not just a budget brand.

That £500 Ibanez would probably be a better guitar for your money than most of the alternatives.

---

Do you have any preferences with body style? Superstrat? Singlecut? Explorer? V? We can make better suggestions if we know what styles you're looking for.

Also, I'd say with the budget that you're working in you may as well just get a guitar with decent pickups already installed. It'll be a better guitar overall, because if you want a set of top pickups - Duncan/DiMarzio/EMG/whatever, the pickup set will probably cost over £100 itself. I'd say spend the extra cash on the guitar and get that touch extra build quality. Even if the pickups aren't top notch, there's little point in changing them until you're playing through a quality amp.
Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Where do you get that impression? I'm more of a Jackson fan myself, but Ibanez tends to make some of the best value guitars at most price points. They're certainly not just a budget brand.

That £500 Ibanez would probably be a better guitar for your money than most of the alternatives.

---

Do you have any preferences with body style? Superstrat? Singlecut? Explorer? V? We can make better suggestions if we know what styles you're looking for.

Also, I'd say with the budget that you're working in you may as well just get a guitar with decent pickups already installed. It'll be a better guitar overall, because if you want a set of top pickups - Duncan/DiMarzio/EMG/whatever, the pickup set will probably cost over £100 itself. I'd say spend the extra cash on the guitar and get that touch extra build quality. Even if the pickups aren't top notch, there's little point in changing them until you're playing through a quality amp.

Hm, about the body style.. I don't want anything too mad, just the plain standard body with cutaways either side of the neck is fine, I don't know what it's called. Definitely not a V.
Okay, sounds like you're looking for a superstrat or something like that.

These two are both a touch over budget, but I reckon either would be a good choice -

Jackson SLSXMG

Ibanez S570B

What I've tried to go for here is a quality instrument in white or natural finish with a good tremolo. After all, a bad one would play havoc with your tuning stability.

The Jackson is from their new Indian-built X series. It's a proper neck-through-body soloist. It has active EMG pickups - which are popular with a huge number of metal guitarists. The tremolo is a Floyd Rose Special. Not the best unit out there, but solid. All round, I think a really good guitar for the price.

(btw, I think that page is selling the white one, but the picture is of the natural one - your two colour choices in one!)

For Ibanez, the S series is my favourite of their styles. Especially since they come with the ZR tremolo system, even on the cheaper ones. It's a great unit, using ball bearings rather than the usual knife edges. The downside with the Ibanez is that the pickups aren't spectacular. But as I said, pickups are something you only want to worry about when you've got a good amp. Aside from that, Ibby always give you value for your money, and you can be pretty sure it would play like butter.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

Thanks so much! Is there any you could suggest without a tremolo that would be just as good as those two? I'm not really THAT bothered about it it would just be nice to try a guitar with one for a while. £400 is my upper limit I'm afraid because I want to buy some other bits and pieces as well like I mentioned - some effects and things. If you really think Ibanez/Jackson is good value for money I'll have a look around, that Jackson really looks great I had a look at some other Ibanez guitars actually and compared the sample on that website and the one you linked sounds great, really sort of what I'm looking for, if they're anything to go by. But if there's anything out there within the budget but without the tremolo that would be brilliant.

What do you thinnk of this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_s420bbs.htm

It's well within my budget and doesn't seem to be any different from the one you showed me other than the middle pickup. Not many metal guitarists use that anyway right? Does it make much different to the sound? The samples don't seem too reliable
Last edited by Laeriel at Apr 14, 2012,
You could always block off the trem if you're bothered by it.

Problem with the INF pickups is that you'll want to change them straight away.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Well, having a middle pickup just adds a little bit of versatility, but it's certainly not needed - far more guitars are HH than HSH.

That S420 should be a pretty good guitar. It'll play really well, and it's got just about the best Tremolo unit you'll manage to get in that price range. The pickups are well known as being "meh", but that's something you can change. But I'd still suggest that you're better off investing in a good amp before you worry about changing pickups. If you're playing through your current "rubbish amp", you could spend over a hundred quid on new pickups and barely notice a difference in sound.

One other thing to note is that it only has an inlay on the twelfth fret. That's no probelm, though, since you should get used to using the side-dots in no time.

That blackberry sunburst is sexy. Maybe I'll get one sometime!
It sure is sexy!
It seems that for the £100 difference between that and the s570B all you get is the single pickup in the middle because they're the same INF pickups in both of them, and I don't think I need it. I don't mind that the only inlay is on the 12th fret, in fact I like it more like that I don't know, I tried to look at some Jacksons as well but couldn't find anything for about the same price as the s420? So I think I might just go for that one, since I'm already used to an Ibanez it's probably the safer option.
Indie is a British company making a good name for itself, and they have a few models that may interest you.

http://www.indieguitars.ca/product.cfm

And, as it so happens, they have their "Orphanage", guitars that have minor cosmetic flaws but which are otherwise fully functional, and so are being offered for 30% off. I'm looking at a couple of orphans myself, so I know that they rang around $400 to $700- within your price range.

http://www.indieguitars.ca/index-2.cfm?Title=orphanage

Here's a vid on YouTube demoing Sun Extreme and another guitar in the same line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19kI3wa3pG4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 20, 2012,
if you want to relight your drive for guitar then i personally think a guitar amp would do a lot of good, even a pod of some kind, i find it boring playing metal unamped but amazingly fun through an amp even at low volumes. The rg321 isnt that bad as a guitar, ive played the rg7321 and i was impressed.

if you are set on getting a guitar then look at ibanez s series, secondhand ibanez presitge, jackson dkmg or slsmg,
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner