Did anyone watch Jack White's video for "Sixteen Saltines"? I know he's not the flashiest guitarist but I've always loved his style. The song is awesome and the video is.....interesting. The vinyl thing he's doing is also sweet. You can find all this stuff here.

Discuss.
What to say. As Mr. Jimmy Page said "modern day hero". He's not technical but I dont give a !@&%. Songs like Screwdriver, Catch Hell Blues, Black Math blow my face off.
Catch Hell Blues is awesome. I must listen to it now.
I am terrible with song titles, but how he incorporated a Citizen Kane reference song into a song is awesome, I think CFK.
Also Death Letter from the Grammys made my mouth drop. Youtube that. It starts of with Seven Nation Army and folds into Death Letter.
I understand why people might criticize him, but I still love a lot of his stuff. Saltines was alright; I liked Love Interruption very much. I'm excited about hearing the rest of the album.
Last edited by SilentVowels at Apr 16, 2012,
He's the most energetic and quite frankly the epitome of the word guitarist at the moment. Catch Hell Blues really shows of just how well he can write a song and if you don't know what I mean watch 'It Might Get Loud'. He shits on Page and the Edge. Page has clearly got bored of playing guitar and The Edge could never play in the first place. He proves that playing an instrument really is about playing the instrument.
Quote by mnf50
He's the most energetic and quite frankly the epitome of the word guitarist at the moment. Catch Hell Blues really shows of just how well he can write a song and if you don't know what I mean watch 'It Might Get Loud'. He shits on Page and the Edge. Page has clearly got bored of playing guitar and The Edge could never play in the first place. He proves that playing an instrument really is about playing the instrument.

On youtube there is an outtake from It Might Get Loud where Edge asks everyone what strings they use. Jack looked at him like WTF dude. We are sitting here with Jimmy Page and this is what your bring to the table. Jack's short answer was something like It doesn't matter, I break them all.
He's a pretty cool dude, for sure. Not very technical (Then again, neither am I, heh), nor as fast as most shredders these days, but he can compose music like the best of 'em.

Quote by Killsocket
On youtube there is an outtake from It Might Get Loud where Edge asks everyone what strings they use. Jack looked at him like WTF dude. We are sitting here with Jimmy Page and this is what your bring to the table. Jack's short answer was something like It doesn't matter, I break them all.

I saw that. It was hilarious.
I found it odd that in near the beginning Jack laments about technology blah blah and a few sements later we see Edge with a house full of crap to make his guitar make noise.
Quote by FosterHaxby
Full Album is streaming on Itunes now for those interested. Really impressed on first play through.

Thanks for the heads up.
Quote by FosterHaxby
Full Album is streaming on Itunes now for those interested. Really impressed on first play through.

Damn Jack and his pop music piano.
I managed to watch him on Jools Holland the other night. Great performances.
I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Quote by theogonia777
Does anyone else think that Jack White looks kind of like Smeagol?

Quote by Siflyn
He's a pretty cool dude, for sure. Not very technical (Then again, neither am I, heh), nor as fast as most shredders these days, but he can compose music like the best of 'em.

Being "technical" is virtually meaningless to music. It's about emotion, creativity, attitude, and the songs. Tony Iommi wasn't very technical in the 70's Sabbath glory years, nor Angus Young of AC/DC, nor were most of Jimmy Page's best riffs.

Gimme Iommi and Jack White over Satriani and Malmsteen any day of the week.

IMO Jack White is one of the few guys who really knows what "rock n' roll" is nowadays. It's more than a musical style, it's an attitude. It's not about scales, it's about kicking your instrument's ass and not giving a crap about rules or what other people think. It's about punching someone in the face and ripping their heart out with whatever is coming out of your amp.
Last edited by Barricade_28 at May 10, 2012,
In a bit of a Jack White mood.

Pumping out some "Fell in Love With a Girl".

Do you guys prefer his solo or White Stripes work?
I wonder why there are so few posts in Jack White's thread. In my opinion he's one of the most influential and creative musician now. I don't really care if he doesn't play damn 16ths on 200 bpm. He is so expressive that he can easily rock using only the same one note. He's the todays hero of music.

Do you guys prefer his solo or White Stripes work?

I prefer everything Jack White's but he's the best in bands. White Stripes, The Racounteurs, Dead Weather are genius!
like really why is this thread so dead? hes one of the best guitarists of the past century and just put out a pretty solid solo album. is the ug community just not into jack white or what?
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
Thanks to this thread i went and bought a POG and a fuzz pedal........Ive liked his work in general but kinda dropped off my radar. HAd no idea he had gone solo....absolutely love his new stuff. Thx!
Love his White Stripes stuff.... I might be in the minority, but I thought they were getting better with each release. Icky Thump I just love.

I cannot get into his two side projects for the life of me.

His solo stuff is above average. Some real jems in there.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
I keep listening to Blunderbuss every single day from the moment it came out. I think it's one of the best albums i heard in last 5 years
If you haven't seen his "Amex Unstaged" show I highly recommend you-tubing it. Excellent live show.

Also, can someone tell me what telecaster he uses in the video for "Freedom at 21"?
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO