OK so I took my PV-900 pa amp that I just bought to a local music shop to see what was wrong with it. It would only send signal to one side and the side that worked was muddy. After the tech guy looked at it he called me and said there are EQ adjustments in the back that weren't set right (I was unaware of these) and there's nothing wrong with it.

So I go in to pick it up and they wanna charge me 45 bucks. He said it's because he had to take it apart and its the cost of labor. Well if these guys are professionals why didnt they check to see if the eq was set right before he took it all apart? And how long could it possibly take for a professional to take it apart? Certainly no longer than a half hour. I didn't have $45 on me so I left it at there.

Also, I took my marshall dsl head in there a few months ago for repair and they called me with a quote before they started to work on it. So I was expecting them to do the same this time.

Would it be a good idea to call up the store manager and complain?

Oh yeah, it also took them 3 weeks to do this.
Last edited by LeppHead at Apr 14, 2012,
Do you expect a technician to check over your amp for free?
He could have said there WAS stuff wrong with it and charged you to replace things that didnt need replaced.
Yes actually I did. because that's what they did last time with my marshall. It's not my fault that he didnt check the settings on the back before he took it all apart. I shouldnt have to pay for his mistake.
These guys have to make a living. If it took him 3 weeks then he's in demand and their time is valuable, especially as almost nobody (in the general population...) knows how amps work. Your lucky you don't have to pay a bench fee as well.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
The three weeks is along time but you still should be charged the deposit even if there was nothing wrong.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I understand his time is valuable but If he would have checked the settings on the back before taking it apart it would have taken 2 minutes. My main problem with all this is the last time I had something worked on there, they called me with a quote after they found what was wrong with it and asked me if I wanted the work done or not. I was expecting the same thing this time.
This time he called me and told me nothing was wrong with it so I went in to pick it up expecting no charge but was suprised.
Quote by LeppHead
After the tech guy looked at it he called me and said there are EQ adjustments in the back that weren't set right (I was unaware of these) and there's nothing wrong with it.

He told you nothing was really wrong with it, that's what I'm gathering from this anyhow. He deserves payment for finding the mistakes you may have made.

Why didn't you? It is your system, and therefore your responsibility to be able to know how it works.

Also, that's not a rip off.
Ok since everybody seems to be siding with the tech, I'll cough up the 45 bucks. I still think it's rip off paying $45 for him to tell me there's knobs on the back.
Did you know there was? No. You took it to the tech, who assumed you knew how to use your own amp and looked for actual problems in it. He didn't find any, sorted your mistake and told you what you did wrong. The only person to blame here is you.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by LeppHead
Ok since everybody seems to be siding with the tech, I'll cough up the 45 bucks. I still think it's rip off paying $45 for him to tell me there's knobs on the back.

Working in an industry where time is an expense I can assure you even if, as you say the guy could have worked it out in 10mins to EQ it, you'll get charged a minimum 30 or 60min block of their time (or whatever their standard minimum charge rate is). If you're wanting them to contact you to discuss quotes or you have an expectation of cost that you don't want to exceed, you need to let them know that when you take the gear in for repair. Don't assume clairvoyance or historical repetition.

That's the way of the world.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
I understand why you're mad, but in reality I think the tech assumed you knew how to use your own gear so skipped EQing it. I mean EQ'ing it is like the equivalent of having your computer plugged in.
I understand where you're coming from. but the man fixed it, just pay him. You don't get to decide after you've received service whether or not you want to pay for it. You had a problem, he solved it. Thats his job, and he doesnt do it free.
Custom Built Soloist w/ Invader & Sustainiac - Douglas Scope 725 - Douglas Grendle 727 - Squier Affinity Series Fat Strat Electric Guitar - Dean Vendetta XM
Bugera 333 Infinium - Kustom 120 Watt Cab - POD HD500 - Ibanez V70 Acoustic
Quote by LeppHead

That's not what you paid for. He opened up the amp and checked to make sure everything was working properly, then figured that the issue must be due to something else because the amp didn't have any issues. What you paid for was the bench fee to check the amp for issues.
As a tech myself, I will weigh in. I work in two different locations, the local music shop and out of my apartment.

At the local music shop there is $50 bench fee. It covers 1 hour of labor, but no parts. You pay for 10 minutes of work the same for 45 minutes of work (then it's charged by 1/4 hour). This is because the shop is using space that could be dedicated to inventory storage or teaching space. They want to get value out of their floor space. I would probably get this kind of problem within one week.

At my apartment I charge for what I do. I don't get much work this way, normally just from bands that I've come know and their buddies. The problem with this is, I do the work in my free time. I probably would have charged you like $10 for this fix, but it would take a couple weeks.

I don't think you are getting ripped off, but I definitely understand your frustration. A bench fee is just common practice, though.
yeah, you brought it to the shop/tech to fix the problem, well he found the problem and fixed it, so yeah you've got to pay and IMO 45 bucks is pretty reasonable, thats about the price my local shop asks for a regular floyd rose setup :O
Quote by LeviMan_2001
You keep saying "If he would've checked the EQ!!!" Well if YOU would have checked the EQ you wouldn't be here.

He didn't know about the EQ, but he should have really done a better job of inspecting his PA system imo.
Nah, you haven't been ripped off by a music shop until they try to sell you a beat up, scratched to hell Epiphone GT for £165.
ok thanks everybody. I guess I just didn't understand how music shops work. It wouldn't be a big deal to me but I'm 18 and in between jobs and have like $100 bucks left to my name haha