Hi There,

I'm trying to get an electric guitar. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard a while ago but sold it and now want to get another electric (Jimi Hendrix can do that to you). I am planning on eventually getting some effects pedals.

I would like to get a guitar with a floyd. I am looking at a Fender Jaguar Blacktop HH but it doesn't have a floyd. Is it possible to add one? And if so, would you say it is worth it? Here is a link to the guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-blacktop-jaguar-hh-electric-guitar

Any suggestions for guitars, effects...etc?

----------------------
Misc Info:

Budget? - I'm trying to spend around $500 or less if possible.

Favorite Artists? - Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Strokes, Interpol, Rodrigo y Gabriela...wide wide variety

Preferences? - Solid/Semi-Hollow Guitars...

New or Used? - used preferably for price purposes

Location? - Minnesota

Current Gear? - Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar and Bass. Boss RC-30 Looping Station. Behringer Amp.
Its possible to convert almost any guitar to have a floyd. But its far from an easy job and it'll devalue the guitar permanently. Not worth it.

Look for a used Charvel.
Quote by 1120

Preferences? - Solid/Semi-Hollow Guitars...

Gotta be more specific than that.

I'd very strongly advise getting a new amp too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
if a guitar does not ave a floyd on it already i dont recomend adding one(unless its a strat which alreadyy hasmost of the routing done) but its morework than itsworth

now on your budget if you can find a use ibby prestige thatll be a good guitar for a variety of genres with a good floating trem
maybe a used charvel im not to well versed on them but ive played a few and they were pretty sweet
You're limiting yourself tonally with that amp. Is there even a distortion channel on that thing?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Adding a Floyd is almost never worth it. To start with you'd have to pay for the Floyd unit itself - which if you're going for the 'real deal' or for one of the good licensed models like a Gotoh or a Schaller will not be cheap at all. Somewhere in the region of $200 I expect.

And then you've got to have it installed, which will mean a lot of precise body routing. Unless you're really accomplished with woodwork it isn't something you want to try yourself. And if you take it to a tech, you'll be charged an arm and a leg to have it installed.

It could easily end up costing you almost as much as the guitar did, and the net result will be a guitar that's had it's resale value destroyed.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're limiting yourself tonally with that amp. Is there even a distortion channel on that thing?

There are onboard effects but they all kinda suck. When I was getting my first guitar the guy at Guitar Center suggested it and it seemed really versatile. Probably should have gotten a different one and done more research, but you gotta live and learn i guess. It has served its purpose well in the beginning years of learning guitar.

What would you suggest? Just to keep in mind, In addition to the electric that I plan on buying, I have two acoustic/electric guitars (one bass and one guitar) that I use very frequently.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Adding a Floyd is almost never worth it. To start with you'd have to pay for the Floyd unit itself - which if you're going for the 'real deal' or for one of the good licensed models like a Gotoh or a Schaller will not be cheap at all. Somewhere in the region of $200 I expect.

And then you've got to have it installed, which will mean a lot of precise body routing. Unless you're really accomplished with woodwork it isn't something you want to try yourself. And if you take it to a tech, you'll be charged an arm and a leg to have it installed.

It could easily end up costing you almost as much as the guitar did, and the net result will be a guitar that's had it's resale value destroyed.

Are you a user of a floyd? What are your opinions on guitars with floyds?

I have played with floyds before and really enjoyed it, but it isn't something completely necessary on the guitar. Would you say you can replace a floyd(certain aspects at least) with effects pedals?
Quote by 1120
There are onboard effects but they all kinda suck. When I was getting my first guitar the guy at Guitar Center suggested it and it seemed really versatile. Probably should have gotten a different one and done more research, but you gotta live and learn i guess. It has served its purpose well in the beginning years of learning guitar.

What would you suggest? Just to keep in mind, In addition to the electric that I plan on buying, I have two acoustic/electric guitars (one bass and one guitar) that I use very frequently.

So a guy in GUITAR centre sold you a KEYBOARD amp for use with a guitar? Someone needs to be fired lol
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by 1120

For the styles of music you're going for, a Fender Mustang would be a good palce to look. They don't do high gain well but they have nice cleans and a good variety of decent drive and crunch channels.
Quote by 1120

I have played with floyds before and really enjoyed it, but it isn't something completely necessary on the guitar. Would you say you can replace a floyd(certain aspects at least) with effects pedals?

You could try a whammy pedal but it'll never create the same real effect.

Floyds are great but they have a lot of drawbacks. They can be finicky to set up and cheap floyds are very unreliable because the cheap materials they're made from make tuning stability a permanent problem, and that's just two issues. Floyds are great if you're willing to deal with the drawbacks; unless you have a lot of money, getting a cheap floyd is not worth the investment.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by RetroGunslinger
So a guy in GUITAR centre sold you a KEYBOARD amp for use with a guitar? Someone needs to be fired lol

lol. well I was under the impression that I would be using different instruments over time. A bass, a guitar, a keyboard...etc. It is an all in one solution in a way
Quote by 1120
lol. well I was under the impression that I would be using different instruments over time. A bass, a guitar, a keyboard...etc. It is an all in one solution in a way

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Its okay to play a bass through a guitar amplifier just as long as you don't have the amplifier too loud or you'll damage the speaker.

An amp is an amp.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by 1120

I love them - so long as a few criteria are met.

Mainly that it's a solid Floyd unit and it's on a guitar where I'm not going to want to change tuning. I like the way they feel under my picking hand and I like the tuning stability. I don't actually use it that often for what it's meant for - but it's nice to have it there for those times when I do want to divebomb.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Its okay to play a bass through a guitar amplifier just as long as you don't have the amplifier too loud or you'll damage the speaker.

An amp is an amp.

What amp would you suggest for those needs?
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
I love them - so long as a few criteria are met.

Mainly that it's a solid Floyd unit and it's on a guitar where I'm not going to want to change tuning. I like the way they feel under my picking hand and I like the tuning stability. I don't actually use it that often for what it's meant for - but it's nice to have it there for those times when I do want to divebomb.

Well, then that kind of takes the Floyd out of the picture. I love changing tunings often and don't plan on spending that much money on an expensive unit, so I think I'm probably better off without one.
Quote by 1120
Well, then that kind of takes the Floyd out of the picture. I love changing tunings often and don't plan on spending that much money on an expensive unit, so I think I'm probably better off without one.

Yeah, you'd probably be better off without one. Tuning up doesn't take that much longer than it does on a hardtail (once you've got used to it, at least), but a Floyd needs some degree of setup even for small changes in tuning. It's a finely balanced thing and when you mess with the tension in the strings you've got to at the very least adjust the springs in the back.

If you just want to change tuning for one or two songs, you'll spend longer setting the Floyd up for the new tuning than you will actually playing...