I have recently discovered scales that are used in japen like the Hirajoshi

Lately ive been enjoying jazz and the chords that come with it and their diff sounds.

Because of that, i have found a new love ! These scales!

They are soo different, has anyone tried them? or composed with them yet?
I am fairly new with improvisation but the past month I have been addicted to the japanese scale. I cant get enough of it. I love it! Here is a video of musicman1066. Im sure you have heard of him But some of it is in the japanese scale (mostly toward the end) to give you some ideas. He also posted the tabs in the description if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fO5hl_osrE&feature=plcp&context=C4e7d9c4VDvjVQa1PpcFMJh4rYyK5s6gbJz_rZvyQ-1cU_2md6yRU%3D
To me they are just notes and colors. What makes them different to you? I think there's a subtle inference that seems to permeate the attitudes of many here and that is the idea of:

"If I find the right exotic scale, it will make me sound more interesting"

It's just not true, any more than the idea that the following exotic words make me more interesting.

OSTENSIBLY SPEAKING SUPERFLUOUSLY DENIGRATING THE STATUS QUO PARADIGM CONSTRUCT OF THE BOURGEOISIE

It's not the words, it's how you use the ones you know to communicate.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
To me they are just notes and colors. What makes them different to you? I think there's a subtle inference that seems to permeate the attitudes of many here and that is the idea of:

"If I find the right exotic scale, it will make me sound more interesting"

It's just not true, any more than the idea that the following exotic words make me more interesting.

OSTENSIBLY SPEAKING SUPERFLUOUSLY DENIGRATING THE STATUS QUO PARADIGM CONSTRUCT OF THE BOURGEOISIE

It's not the words, it's how you use the ones you know to communicate.

Best,

Sean

+7,000.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I haven't played around with them for a while but it's cool that you're exploring more 'world' music and getting inspired. This is the way to progress as a musician
Don't listen to some of the guys here that slam you for wanting to learn new scales. New scales and new music open up new avenues of inspiration IMO. Keep it up.
Quote by IbanezMan989
I have recently discovered scales that are used in japen like the Hirajoshi

Lately ive been enjoying jazz and the chords that come with it and their diff sounds.

Because of that, i have found a new love ! These scales!

They are soo different, has anyone tried them? or composed with them yet?

http://www.freakguitar.com/scales.html
http://www.jamtrackcentral.com/jamtracks/mattias-ia-eklundh/
Quote by Matt.Guitar
I haven't played around with them for a while but it's cool that you're exploring more 'world' music and getting inspired. This is the way to progress as a musician
Don't listen to some of the guys here that slam you for wanting to learn new scales. New scales and new music open up new avenues of inspiration IMO. Keep it up.

Are you referring to me about "slamming" guys?

Best,

Sean
Quote by Matt.Guitar

but extraterrestrial civility, toxic olfactory with a lavender ramekin!
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Sean0913
Are you referring to me about "slamming" guys?

Best,

Sean

Kind of, though I didn't mean to accuse you of 'slamming' him.
You didn't slam him - you were perfectly civilised as usual.

You did remind me that there is a selection of people here who are, for whatever reason, against the study of scales.
I think you're better off listening to and studying traditional Japanese music rather than taking a scale shortcut. Asian music does some things differently than Western music (I think China harmonizes in 4ths a lot?), and you'll attain a more full version of the sound by immersing yourself in it. Ignoring that and using a scale will make you hit a progression ceiling very quickly.