So, I just saw a guy selling this amp for like 380 euros, which after quick research seems to be less then half of a stock price. No idea how old is it (the guy bought it used too) but it has a "metal" front panel as opposed to the black one I can see on Engl website. It has a Jet City Eminence speaker (don't ask me, that's what I can see on the photos).

I currently own a Blackstar HT-60 and while it's a better sounding amp then most people would make me believe it already went bust after less then a year of regular usage. And the guy that repaired it told me to expect it to do it on a regular basis judging by what he saw inside. I could easily sell the Blackstar for more then what the Engl would cost me.

The pros I can see in getting the Engl:
1. Cleans seem to sound way better on the Engl.
2. It's pure valve constructions, I assume there's a lot less circuits and no processors and the general components quality is higher then the Blackstar's.
3. It's 10W less and one speaker less then the Blackstar which is way too loud for the place I play it in. No idea if this actually computes to "less loud in small rooms", so feel free to correct me here.
4. Reverb sounds better.

The cons I can see here:
1. Not as much gain as Blackstar. While I'm not a brutal-death-speed-power metal player I like having a lot of gain for post-rock'ish kinda stuff. This could be solved with an OD pedal though I guess and I will be getting a Maxon OD soon anyway.
2. One overdriven "channel" less. This again could be solved with an OD pedal, but I am using all 3 "channels" on Blackstar nonetheless.
3. One speaker less. I know I mentioned loudness before but then again combos with 2 speakers tend to sound much "wider" so to speak. I might be imagining things though.
4. It seems awfully cheap, kinda makes me wary and the guy lives too far away to make it worthwhile going there and testing the thing.

Alright, any opinions on if I should get the Engl or keep the Blackstar?
Any other thoughts guys? I have like 2 days to make a decision, so any input is appreciated. =)
Quote by JoeVertigo
3. It's 10W less and one speaker less then the Blackstar which is way too loud for the place I play it in. No idea if this actually computes to "less loud in small rooms", so feel free to correct me here.

1. Not as much gain as Blackstar. While I'm not a brutal-death-speed-power metal player I like having a lot of gain for post-rock'ish kinda stuff. This could be solved with an OD pedal though I guess and I will be getting a Maxon OD soon anyway.

These are opinions based on my ENGL Screamer 50 Combo, and YouTube-experiences:

@ 3. It's still going to be way too loud for bedroom-practice, but should sound decent also at lower volumes.

@ 1. I believe you could get away with pretty much any kind of metal with the gain on the amp, so don't worry about it.

I have little experience with Blackstars, but as long as it's not a scam, I believe you will be satisfied if you choose to go ENGL.
Are you sure that the speaker is not stock? Most ENGL Thunder combos should have a V30 speaker inside, older models can have some other Celestion speaker models, but an Eminence should not be inside.

That is a really low price, but if the amp has been tampered with maybe it's not worth it.
The price is suspiciously low.

And it has enough gain for most kinds of metal, though at room volume it won't sound like much I'm afraid. The tone really opens up at around 4-5, which is completely unthinkable in a room/house.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by ivan987
Are you sure that the speaker is not stock? Most ENGL Thunder combos should have a V30 speaker inside, older models can have some other Celestion speaker models, but an Eminence should not be inside.

That is a really low price, but if the amp has been tampered with maybe it's not worth it.

Here's the photo of the speaker, along with the rest of the amp photos.

http://www.aukcjoner.pl/gallery/008797176-5.html#I5

I know next to nothing about speakers, is the Eminence bad/worse or something?
Quote by Mad Marius
The price is suspiciously low.

And it has enough gain for most kinds of metal, though at room volume it won't sound like much I'm afraid. The tone really opens up at around 4-5, which is completely unthinkable in a room/house.

It's not for home use, it's for a small small studio. I did some googling and the guy was trying to sell the Engl for something like 470 euros before and he's the second owner, so chances are he also got it cheaper then stock.
The front panel is the same as mine, the black ones are new as of 2012 or 2011, I think.

Don't think the speaker possibly could be stock though, have you tried asking him if he knows anything about it?
Quote by EmilGD
Don't think the speaker possibly could be stock though, have you tried asking him if he knows anything about it?

Apparently he bought it used with the Eminence already in, so seems the first owner might've installed it for whatever reason.
Alright then, I'm gonna take the risk and get the Engl, get a new speaker for it and try to get rid of the Blackstar. O.o