Thinking about starting a new band. I'm a guitarist/singer/songwriter but I play bass very well if necessary. I formed a band about a year ago but the drummer wasn't right and we all had creative differences. There wasn't a collective aim within the group. Example, the drummer was into deathcore metal and so every song I wrote and brought to the group he would read and suggest where we can add screams and a metal breakdown.. To be honest, I'm into good music from any genre but that's not the kind of music I write.
Nothing is set in stone for me yet and I am going to university in 2013 if nothing takes off for me here. I'm 18 so people around my age group would be great, but of course I would turn nobody away without a trial/audition. I'm not gonna NOT give you a chance just because of your age. As for band genre, I love anything really, but I would like to focus on Rock music in general. I'm all for adding screaming to a few songs but I don't write metal songs. If you write songs too, that's great because I don't want the pressure to be all on me. I'd love to bring a few different styles together. Just to give you an idea of my style, some of my favourite bands are Fleetwood Mac, Garbage, Punchline, Bayside and Blondie. A lot of the songs I write are a similar sound to Bayside (awesome band if you haven't heard of them. You should have a listen.) It's sort of heavy rock but not OTT. I like to mix up genres a lot and experiment musically. Creative ideas from other people would be fantastic.
I'm at Dukeries College in year 13 right now so anyone else there would be really convenient. If you're in the Sherwood area (preferably with transport) and you're interested get in touch. It'd be great if you have adequate equipment and playing skill. Your instrument/effects don't have to be anything special, but your amp should be something that can compete in a band. My last band tried out a guitarist who had only a 15W practice amp.. you can imagine that situation. Anyone with practice space would be great but I know of places we can go to rehearse (for a small fee unfortunately).
Anyone who is open to genres and wants to be in a band in the Sherwood/Nottinghamshire area, please get in touch.
Thanks for reading if you made it to the end of my rambling.
Last edited by MightyPenguin at Apr 14, 2012,
One of my all time fav songs: Heart of Glass. Will always love that tune! Only just starting to listen to their other stuff though.

Friendly bump from a fellow Brit is all I have to offer lol. I'm looking to be in a band too and the outlook for being in a band where all members can comfortably explore themselves? Man, it's hard!

Do you do any solo gigs or look for bandmates elsewhere out of interest?
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Hello mate, i play guitar and like similar music to you (i know all the words to every song on Rumours ahah) and live in loughborough, so leicestershire however i get the bus to Nottingham all the time.

Also, i am currently in year 13 at the minute and also planning on taking a year out before i go to university so it sounds like we may have alot in common, would be interested in a jam if you are

If your interested reply and il l,ink you my facebook or something.
I'm up for guitar, sherwood is round the corner from me. Can use a practice space in town if you didn't mind paying at all.
Fwang.
Quote by BadBanshee
One of my all time fav songs: Heart of Glass. Will always love that tune! Only just starting to listen to their other stuff though.

Friendly bump from a fellow Brit is all I have to offer lol. I'm looking to be in a band too and the outlook for being in a band where all members can comfortably explore themselves? Man, it's hard!

Do you do any solo gigs or look for bandmates elsewhere out of interest?

I haven't done solo gigs. Always wanted to but I like depth in music, so a few instruments. Finding people with similar interests is hard. Every kid round here seems to be into deathcore metal at the moment. I'd look elsewhere but my problem is traveling. I live in Nottinghamshire in a town that's pretty much the middle of nowhere and I don't have a car, so it's hard to find a way to travel I can afford. Thanks for the bump.
Quote by Mappo
Hello mate, i play guitar and like similar music to you (i know all the words to every song on Rumours ahah) and live in loughborough, so leicestershire however i get the bus to Nottingham all the time.

Also, i am currently in year 13 at the minute and also planning on taking a year out before i go to university so it sounds like we may have alot in common, would be interested in a jam if you are

If your interested reply and il l,ink you my facebook or something.

Hey. Sorry didn't get an email for your reply which is weird. I am interested definitely. The only issue would be practice space and times? I'm gonna post on some other websites to see if I get any other people interested because there might be someone with a good practice space. I've found someone over Gumtree from Sutton who's interested in playing bass, so that might be cool.