Im curious about this now. A few days ago I was jammin with a friend and he let me play his guitar. I dont remember what it was exactly, I just remember Dime and razorback on the headstock. Suffice to say, it was shaped like a flying V (but, 'sharper') and I noticed some things while i was playing it.
At first its an awkward feeling. All my guitars are strat style, so this was new to me. I found palm muting to be easier. So was alternate picking and tremolo picking. I think its because the way its shaped kinda forces your hand in a position that would make things like that easier? I'm not very sure. But it was an interesting experience.
(btw, he offered me to trade for my peavey nitro III. I'm thinkin about it. Any advice on that pm me)

Tl;dr what are advantages and disadvantages of certain body styles.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Its too broad of a question. What body styles are we talking about here?

Also the guitar you played was a Razorback.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Body shapes?
The only changes a body shape will give you is balance, and fret access:
-A guitar with very good balance standing up would be an explorer
-Fret access, Les Pauls will give mediocre fret access while V guitars will give you complete fret access
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000
ESP EDWARDS LP-92CD
Shchecter ATX Blackjack
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster (H-S-S)
LP's (or similar) are very heavy and have poor fret access but the thickness of the body gives them lots of sustain. They are somewhat balanced with a strap .

Explorer's are similar to LP's but more are comfortable sitting down.

V's (or similar) are light, resonant, good fret access and are very well balanced with a strap, but many find sitting down with them uncomfortable. Average sustain.

SG's are similar to V's, but are more comfortable for many people sitting down, but on the flipside they're unbalanced with a strap.

Generally Strats and Superstrats are comfortable, balanced and are reasonably weighted. Sustain is not great however.

Tele's are similar to Strats but fret access is a bit more hindered. But they have a bit more sustain than Strats as they're fixed bridge.

ML's and similar shapes tend to have good sustain, but they're bulky, heavy and some of them (like Razorbacks and even Warlocks) are very uncomfortable sitting down due to sharp edges. They tend to balance poorly too, especially Warlocks.

Thats just a few.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 14, 2012,

Add ergonomics to that. I've personally found many "pointy" guitars to be uncomfortable to play, and I know some people who feel likewise about deep-bowl Ovations.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
interesting stuff.

Gibson Les Paul:

-Pros: Looks good for any situation or style, comfortable to play when sitting down, feel good when standing up. Great sustain, sounds really dark.

-Cons: Toggle switch can get in the way when strumming or tapping (does this count in this thread?), difficult upper fret access.

BC Rich Mockingbird:

-Pros: Looks awesome if you are into that sort of thing, surprisingly comfortable to play sitting down, surprisingly good upper fret access thanks to the contours, feels good when standing up. Great sustain, sounds really dark.

-Cons: Some complain about the horn being uncomfortable when sitting down but it doesn't bother me, toggle switch can get in the way when strumming or tapping.

Fender Strat:

-Pros: Looks good for any situation or style (besides extreme metal), good upper fret access, feels fine when sitting down, sounds really bright.

-Cons: The thin body turns me off and throws me off balance personally when standing up, if that counts for this thread, the volume knob is a bit in the way. Sustain could be better.

Dean V:

-Pros: Looks awesome if you are into that sort of thing, great upper fret access, knobs and toggle switch are out of the way. Sustain is average, sounds brightish, I'm not exactly sure how to describe the sound. I think resonant was a good word from the poster above.

-Cons: The body is really large relative to other guitars and looks funny on teenagers or shorter people such as myself, and tends to poke me in the thigh sometimes. People that find the classical-style sitting position uncomfortable won't like it.

That's all I've got I dunno if some of the stuff like knob locations matter or not, but thought I'd throw em in.
Last edited by Thermon at Apr 14, 2012,
Quote by sehnomatic
Body shapes?
Actually, the body shape can and does drastically effect the tone of the guitar, especially when comparing body styles that have different styles of cutaways, and thus different mass around the neck pocket/heel/join. This is why Telecasters inherently sound darker and more powerful than Strats, even if you put a Tele pickup in a Strat or Strat pickups and a bridge in a Tele.

Not to mention common construction differences. Explorers and Firebirds are similar shapes but the neck-through and tiered body design of the Firebird gives it a much, much brighter tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually, the body shape can and does drastically effect the tone of the guitar, especially when comparing body styles that have different styles of cutaways, and thus different mass around the neck pocket/heel/join. This is why Telecasters inherently sound darker and more powerful than Strats, even if you put a Tele pickup in a Strat or Strat pickups and a bridge in a Tele.

Not to mention common construction differences. Explorers and Firebirds are similar shapes but the neck-through and tiered body design of the Firebird gives it a much, much brighter tone.

+1
mostly it depends on your preference regarding to ergonomics, controls, and balance.

Sustain comes in to the mix a bit, but not as much given this dicsussion.

TOODEEPBLUE (the guy with the gay pony avatar =p) had an excellent post, so +1 to him.

Fret access is not quite as cut and dried as everone says. Most people will argue that "neckthrough" guitars have the best sustain/fret access, due to the lack of blocky joint between neck and body. This argument is easily defeated by handing them a EBMM JP, a bolt on with ridiculously easy fret access.

If you have larger hands, many of the fret access issues can be overcome, especially with the Les Pauls (I have huge hands, and I own a LP With a bolt on neck, generally regarded as the guitar with one of the worst fret access's. I have little problem with it)
I am currently looking into a V guitar for better fret access/24 frets, and becasue I want another guitar, so no matter how good you are with limited access, the want for more will always be present.

Superstrats (like Jackson Soloist/dinky, Ibanez Rg/Rga/Rgd, many of the schecter designs, some prs's -they have wierd titles for theirs though- and some ESP/LTDS) generally have good ergonomics, knob position, and sustain, which is better on hardtail (non trem) models.
I seem to be the only one who doesn't like the position of the pickup switch in superstrats.

Ergonomics are generally stereotypical, unless your dealing with PRS guitars. It seems o me that Paul himself gets in front of a huge outline of his newest models and plays "blindfolded darts" in order to determind switch and knob locations.

this post will end here with this question: is there a specific question you can give us ts?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
actually, i was just trying to start a discussion.

BC Rich shapes can be used for self defense against bears.

That's something, right?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by Nico the Great

That's something, right?

the new Mick Thomson sig from ibanez can be used to fend off wallstreet protesters...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
The kxk karl sanders V can be used to impale people. Just saying
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Nico the Great

That's something, right?

This gave me quite a chuckle Might have to steal that for a signature...
Quote by losing battle
The kxk karl sanders V can be used to impale people. Just saying

I can be used to impale people...

Just sayin'.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 15, 2012,