I play a dean vendetta and i put an emg 85 in the bridge, and i use a peavey triple x head with an ibanez tone blaster cab that has 2 stock speakers and 2 celestion hot 100s. I am not getting the deep crunchy sound like MOTIONLESS IN WHITE, ATTACK ATTACK, or EMMURE. I tune down to drop b, could using a eq pedal help me get that sound?
In production those bands typically layer in kick drum beats with the bass behind the gtrs to get that massive attack and heavy sound, and the guitars are doubled or tripled and panned hard left and right. You won't get the recorded sound playing a single gtr.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by mitch28152
...ibanez tone blaster...
There's your answer. Your cab is garbage.

Grab yourself something with V30's; your sound will improve by miles.
For a more massive sound, use a Y splitter and send half of the signal to another amp. I do this and it sounds positively huge. Also, I think the EMG 81 would've been a better choice since the magnet is ceramic. You could try an Ibanez TS9 too. Many metal bands use that to improve midrange and tightness.
GEAR:
1987 Ibanez RG550 w/ DiMarzio PAF Pro and Bare Knuckle Aftermath
Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH
Ibanez RGT42 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez AEG10E Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe w/ Celestion Vintage 30
What is your EQ setting? The XXX is very sensitive to EQ, and it has an active EQ, so it doesn't react like you'd typically expect.

Other than that, V30's are magic.

Also note that the bands you listed use 6505's, which are very dark and low mid heavy amps, while the XXX is very bright and has a lot of highs and upper mids. Totally different sounds there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What is your EQ setting? The XXX is very sensitive to EQ, and it has an active EQ, so it doesn't react like you'd typically expect.

Other than that, V30's are magic.

Also note that the bands you listed use 6505's, which are very dark and low mid heavy amps, while the XXX is very bright and has a lot of highs and upper mids. Totally different sounds there.

I crank the low and high but put the mid half way, I was just wondering if the eq could help get a little thicker of a sound.
Quote by mitch28152
I crank the low and high but put the mid half way, I was just wondering if the eq could help get a little thicker of a sound.

i'd say work with your amps eq before bothering with a pedal, xxx have very sensitive and intricate eq and spend some time with it, you'd be surprised what you could get. start with everything at noon, and tweak it, paying close attention to how the knobs work with each other. dont use too much low and high because they'll make your sound too muddy and piercing. and as someone else said, that chunk your looking for wont come from the guitar alone, but get a good sound from the guitar that can have the bass and the kick added to it, that'll give you the chunk. also, use as little gain as possible. a very common mistake is having absurd amounts of gain, but it will hurt your sound more than anything else
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Apr 15, 2012,
Quote by mitch28152

Even though it seems counterintuitive, the secret to getting a heavy sound is cutting bass. While bass can add presences, it also adds flabbiness and takes away from your attack.

Try putting your bass at 9-10 o'clock, mids at 12-1 o'clock, and highs to taste (enough to get the amount of definition you want in your tone). That's usually a surefire way to get a modern tone.

Are you using a tubescreamer type pedal in front? That will make a huge difference.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X