hey i own a cheap acoustic. Im not a beginner (been playing for 4-5 years), but I want an acoustic to diddle around on. I accidentally broke it and the neck (right where the body ends and the actual neck starts) cracked. Its not at the point where it comes off, but its kind of close. Is there a way I can fix it easily? Plz help
Any chance of you uploading a couple of pics? It'd help to know exactly what's broken, and at what angle, etc., then plan our attack from there.
Quote by Captaincranky
Any chance of you uploading a couple of pics? It'd help to know exactly what's broken, and at what angle, etc., then plan our attack from there.

how do i upload a pic?
Quote by Captaincranky

it says the file is too large. Can i send you an email with the images?
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/001wzp.jpg/]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5467/001wzp.jpg
Is the neck separation in the photo the extent of the damage?

Can you see daylight behind the neck, or is there a piece of wood that extends into the body?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 15, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
Is the neck separation in the photo the extent of the damage?

Can you see daylight behind the neck, or is there a piece of wood that extends into the body?

i dont rele understand the first question (im a dumbass lol). and there isnt a piece of wood that extends into the body.
I just meant is there anything else you can see wrong with the guitar. For example, is the body cracked? Is the bridge lifting? Like that.

Perhaps there isn't any part of the neck you can see at the bottom of the heel, where it's separating. But, there is normally either a mortise or dovetail joint that extends into the body. It's normally higher, under the fretboard.

You may have to do a Google search for photos that explain what I'm talking about. You can't just glue the neck to the body of an acoustic guitar or it will fall off. Yeah, I know it's falling off, but I meant more in the immediate, "fall off right away", sense.

The reason I'm asking, is because we may have to try to get glue into the broken joint, from inside of the body.

You're going to need a small mirror that will fit through the sound hole, so you'll be able to inspect the inside of the guitar.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 15, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
I just meant is there anything else you can see wrong with the guitar. For example, is the body cracked? Is the bridge lifting? Like that.

Perhaps there isn't any part of the neck you can see at the bottom of the heel, where it's separating. But, there is normally either a mortise or dovetail joint that extends into the body. It's normally higher, under the fretboard.

You may have to do a Google search for photos that explain what I'm talking about. You can't just glue the neck to the body of an acoustic guitar or it will fall off. Yeah, I know it's falling off, but I meant more in the immediate, "fall off right away", sense.

The reason I'm asking, is because we may have to try to get glue into the broken joint, from inside of the body.

You're going to need a small mirror that will fit through the sound hole, so you'll be able to inspect the inside of the guitar.

there isnt anything else wrong with the acoustic. Its just the neck. But actually, now that I think of it, I might just save up for a new acoustic. :P
When things like this happen, you just need to get a new acoustic. The neck is going to bend forward more and more as you tighten the strings and glue won't help it at all.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
When things like this happen, you just need to get a new acoustic. The neck is going to bend forward more and more as you tighten the strings and glue won't help it at all.
These statements need to be qualified a bit.

First, you're right if you're insisting that glue won't do much if it's applied to the neck heel. The reason for this is, wood glues don't do well gluing to themselves. They're designed to glue raw wood together. The neck heel really isn't where the damage is anyway. It's most likely in the neck set joint, and the heel pulling away from the body is a symptom, not the real problem.

If you want to fix something with this type of damage, be prepared to reset the neck completely, or work inside the body, by wicking CyA type glues into the damaged area.

As to whether guitar, "X", is worth all the aggravation or money invested by having a pro do the job, that's up to the individual.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 17, 2012,
why not take your guitar to a tech for an appraisal?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Can everybody see from this small line diagram, that most of the neck joint is inside the body? The set block, (bottom part), is fully inside the body.

(This is a dovetail neck joint, which is the best possible way to install an acoustic neck. Simple mortise and tenon joinery isn't as sturdy).-
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 17, 2012,