The guitarist in my band is having A LOT of trouble getting the right sound and it's become quite a conundrum. The sound he has at the moment just isn't quite there. We play old school thrash in the vein of old Slayer/Sodom/old Kreator etc so we need that warm crunchy tone which he just can't seem to get. He uses a Boss ME 50 which just isn't doing the trick, so he's deciding to get some stomp boxes.

He uses a Marshall JCM 800 bass series head and his guitar is a cheap Chinese Gibson Flying V copy, not sure if this may be affecting it? I've thought maybe a Boss Overdrive pedal with a reverb pedal or so might do the trick. A lot of distortion pedals are too fuzzy and we need, like I said, a warm, crunchy and heavy sound.

Suggestions please?
You know, What I do when testing out an amp is too see how it is in its natural state.
So What I do is put it on its overdrive channel and put everything at 12 o clock, but put knobs for reverb, delay and other effects to 0.
Then I use an outside overdrive pedal to adjust how much gain I want on the amp, and because the amp has a preset amount I have this compromising struggle to get a decent tone. Then I adjust the knob EQs to fine tune the tone.

My favorite pedals are probably overdrive pedals like tube screamers and the new boss powerstack.
So he's playing a Chinese knock off guitar through a crappy MFX into a bass amp, and he's wondering why his tone is bad. Hm...

My suggestion would be to get a proper guitar rig.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Force101
He uses a Marshall JCM 800 bass series head and his guitar is a cheap Chinese Gibson Flying V copy

I think I found your problem....

This may be a crazy idea - sell the bass amp, the me50 and anything else you can gather and, wait for it.... buy a guitar amplifier.

Any cent spent on effects at this stage is a total waste of money, he needs to address the real problem.
Yeah, I'd get a head for a guitar and see how that sounds.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Buy a real GUITAR amp and buy a decent guitar.
That'll probably help tremendously.
Quote by Offworld92
So he's playing a Chinese knock off guitar through a crappy MFX into a bass amp, and he's wondering why his tone is bad. Hm...

This. You might get away with the knock-off guitar if it weren't for the fact he's running an MFX through a bass amp. Don't matter what you do, it's gonna sound cack if you're not using a proper guitar amp.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Get a guitar amp. Consider an EQ for better tweaking.

But really, guitar amp.
Thanks heaps for the replies guys. Thought it would have been the bass head.

Now, what overdrive pedal should I reccomend to him to get that killer, crunchy thrash metal sound? I was thinking the Boss SuperOverdrive, Boss OD3 or a Ibanez TS.
Quote by Offworld92