I was jamming with a mate yesterday and we were using his Line 6 amps (75 and 150 watt) and the distortion sounded great....alright, I thought it was amazing. So why do people hate on these amps so much?

Seriously, unless there is another amp out there for the same price that can sound exactly like a Peavey 6505 or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, without buying the actual amps themselves, then I recommend this amp to anybody wanting to play metal.

Stop hating, haters.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Personally i dont hate line 6, but i did just move from a spider 3 HD 150 to a 6505+ 112 and i would never go back. Line 6 is completely digital and lacks that.... soul. its like line 6 is the ginger of amps.
Now I was going to say, "people don't hate Line6, they hate SS spiders" - but that is what you are presenting as your evidence. You think a SS Spider sounds exactly like a 6505 or a Recto???? You need to see an otolaryngologist. Don't delay you have some serious ear problems.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They sound god awful with the exception of the spider valve's that sound okay.

The built in effects are pretty lack luster

They attempt to sell amps based on them having a built in tuner.
Probably because many of us prefer the sound of a true tube amp. While the Spider Valve line isn't terrible, to my ear it still lacks the warmth and natural sound of a tube amp.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by IronTallicaDeth
I love my Line 6 Spider III, i really don't care what anyone else thinks.

Just reminding you to take your meds, I think you must be due.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I currently own a Spyder IV. It's fine for live stuff and it's rather versatile but I agree that it lacks in sound quality. It really shows what it's lacking when you record it to be honest.
Quote by rickyj
They sound god awful with the exception of the spider valve's that sound okay.

The built in effects are pretty lack luster

They attempt to sell amps based on them having a built in tuner.

wait, what?

they have a tuner?
It's because you can do so much better for the money. VOX VTs and Roland Cubes have always been better options, even though the VT's tube is a gimmick. Even Peavey Vypyrs and Valve Kings are better. These days the Fender Mustangs are probably the best in class, depending on what you want to do with it.

You're way better off getting a POD and playing it through a PA. Especially if it's part of the HD line.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Because they sound extraordinarily fake. It's like having sex with a blow-up doll vs having sex with a person. This isn't just me going with the crowd, I played a borrowed Spider III at band practice for a couple months. They just don't sound like guitar.

It's not even crappy sound for a low price, because there are numerous other better-sounding amps in the price range. It's depressing.

(Disclaimer: never played the Spider Valve, could be a totally different beast)

srsly they have a tuner?

like, why? you can't hear the friggin' guitar over the shreeks of the pterodactyl being raped by the chainsaw.
Because Peavey Vypyrs are better and aren't overly endorsed by GC. I was playing with a Vypyr one day in there (which is completely irrelevant to the story) and I overheard a sales associate talking to a young adult, for lack of a better term, about the Line 6's and the conversation went some thing like this:

Customer: I don't know why Line 6's get so much hate.

GC Guy: It's because people don't know how to work em'. When they want it to be louder they turn up the master volume instead of the channel volume.

Customer: Yeah, some people are just idiots.

GC Guy: And GuitarCenter is always telling us to push the Peaveys but they sound so weak.

Customer: I had a Peavey tube 60 about a year ago and it sounded terrible.

*both laugh*

Me: *If he thinks a Tube 60 sounds terrible, how does the Marshall JCM 800 sound to him?*
I don't think people hate line 6, I think they just hate spider amplifiers. Line 6 makes a bunch of good products. Personally, I think spider amps are great functionally and they are great for beginners. They have a tendency to sound a bit muddy in my opinion, but I don't believe them to the anus of amplification. I've tried their valve series and I think those sound pretty dandy.

At the end of all of this, same stupid shit on a same stupid day. People will always argue about digital versus tubes versus hybrids, etc.. etc... it will never end. It really is your preference, and if it sounds good to you, go with it. I've gotten great sounds out of spiders because I took some time and figured out how to manipulate it. It was more difficult to do than with my 6505, but again, I enjoyed the time I spent with my spider.
Nothing to do with digital vs tube or any other smeg. I often recommend Vypers to people and you all know what a tube freak I am. It isn't because Spiders are digital, it's because they sound like crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gregs1020

Red heads....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...