Hey guys,

I use a Peavey 120 W XXX stack and I've always run 6L6s in it. I know it has a switch where you can use EL34s/KT77s/6CA7s instead. I'm just curious if anyone has done this, and if so, can confirm or deny if this will make the XXX sound more like an Orange/Brit style amp as I'm trying to decide if I want a new one, but think re-tubing might be a good thing first. The reason is I just feel like my XXX has a really noisy effects loop, and is always very muddy in terms of bass. I listen to a lot of people who use Orange amps, so I looked into them, and noticed the vast majority are EL34 amps with 12ax7s; I know tubes aren't the only consideration, but I am just curious if this would get me better base response/a "cleaner" British distortion more reminiscent of The Fall of Troy or ORL, or if I should just sell the damn thing and get a Rockerverb or AD30HTC...

THANKS!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Switching to EL34s will give you more mid-range and a more "British" tone. Most of the people who I've talked to that have the XXX says that it sounds better with EL34s than 6L6s, its all personal preference. The XXX also has an active EQ, so you might just want to try messing around with that before you go a completely re-tube/bias the amp.

Just so you know, when switching to different types of tubes, you need to change that switch AND bias the tubes as well.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
It'll probably sound a bit brighter, but I don't think it'll sound like an Orange. You want more air pushed, go with KT-88. But if you go that route, you'll have to do a bit of modification to get it to fit. You could also get an EQ unit and take some bass out of the equation to get rid of the muddiness. What kind of pickups do have? They may have something to do with it. Also, are you running a matched cab with your head?
I am using a matching 4X12. Stony, I have already messed with the EQ quite a bit--I'm having some separate issues with a pedal chain and not sure of the order I'm using/what's best (guitar > noise suppressor > amp > noise suppressor after preamp > XP100 > FM4 > MM4 > DL4 > RC20XL > Compressor > amp > speakers > your ears). I'm getting issues with hum--I'm currently running it as low volume with enough signal so pedals can still have a good signal to work with but so I don't have to compress the shit out of it later/amplify the signal then limit it just to amplify it again. I'm aware of re-biasing and actually did it when I retubed with 6L6GC-MSTR's--I may even be running them hot, but I feel like I did a good job of finding an appropriate range based off the plate voltage and using a bias probe instead of the shitty ones on the amp head.

H. Omitted, I typically use WI66--one with Seymour Duncan Dual HB and the other Dual EMG-81s. I have an active EQ on at least two channels on the amp, meaning I should be able to take enough bass out there, but I still find myself either getting too much or not enough--like I can get decent response on a single line, but if I try and play a chord, mud city, and if I EQ it for chords, it typically sounds too trebley, as if I have to cut such a ridiculous amount. I also feel like it's all noisier than it should be... but again that could be something else.

I typically rock my guitar volume at 10 as well... thoughts?
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
EL34's are definitely good for that amp (Hence why the 3120 was released). With 6L6's, the XXX is way too bright and harsh, IMO, and EL34's tame it a bit and make the gain a bit more useful.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X