Page 1 of 4
So I'm currently in the process of writing a story for an interactive horror adventure thingy, and I'm trying to collect ideas of what kinds of things scare people. I know that scariness is very relative, and 99% has to do with the atmosphere of the medium, but I'd still like to ask around and see what things other people have found truly scary. Be it from film, literature, games or heck, even music, what things in media have you come across that you've found truly scary?
Ben.
also clowns.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The Pit.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
You're making a VN?

On topic

Silent Hill

Psychological Supernatrual stuff.

Also the atmosphere plays a very important role.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Didnt see you had addressed the atmosphere thing.

The ending to [REC] is one of the few things to really ever have me on the edge of shitting myself.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Claustrophobic stuff, like that caving story from the NIT. And I'm not even claustrophobic.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by Stugg334
Claustrophobic stuff, like that caving story from the NIT. And I'm not even claustrophobic.

You mean the one where those two guys go spelunking, and then find some room with a hole in it? Where at the end they say they're gonna go back, and then never update the next day?
slow, sliding violin lines. maybe cliched, but for a good reason.

there's also that level in Thief 3, Shalebridge Cradle, which is a haunted abandoned orphanage. ambient noises like creaks, footsteps, and breathing make it seem like there's always something around the corner... but there's nothing.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by CoreysMonster
You mean the one where those two guys go spelunking, and then find some room with a hole in it? Where at the end they say they're gonna go back, and then never update the next day?

Yeah, that's the one. I don't read a lot of stuff from that thread, but people were talking about it so I had a look.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Clowns and black people

Homie don't play that.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
"The only thing to fear is fear itself."

- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Fear cheesy quotes?

OT: Maybe you could base a story around this somehow. It'd be very creative.
Hooded skeletal figures that appear as a negative image on the brink of a staircase, then cause the light to strobe before reaching their fleshless fingers for you and exploding into dust.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by Momentosis

The ending to [REC] is one of the few things to really ever have me on the edge of shitting myself.

Creepy fucking shit. Favorite horror movie.
Quote by ZombieCran
Being in really small spaces and stuck there.

WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT.

OH I KNOW. A tiny ****ing hole! I'm going to crawl in that shit and get stuck.

So little room for activities.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Someone breaking into my house at night.

An incubus. The thought of something having the power to penetrate my duvet... Ugh. When you're covered in your duvet, nothing can hurt you. That's the rules!
Those horror creepypasta atmospherical stories where something creepy is going on, but you're not completely sure what.

Like the cabin in the middle of the woods story where the face appeared in the window smiling, someone went mad and then all this creepy stuff started happening.

Nothing really concrete, and it leaves space for imagination and you start feeling eerie once you've finished reading the story. Hard to explain exactly what I'm talking about and what sets it off.

But it beats the hell out of ghost stories and such for scaring people.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Germans, yes Germans scare me.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Mother****ers, i clicked the link as i'm lying in bed, but I had the sense to mute it first.

EDIT: No, seriously -

1. Being Alone;
2. Being Jobless; and
3. Not having a family;
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Apr 15, 2012,
The unknown.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
The scariest thing for me, I think, is when you have something familiar and idyllic, and corrupt it. So you get something that at first glance might appear superficially good, but there's something out of place, there lies something subtly ominous beneath the surface. To me that is much more disturbing over time than scary things that only shock you.
Being unable to move.

Oh, and every scary concept from Dead Space.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Momentosis

This [REC] is the only zombie movie to actually scare me.
Quote by guitargodofaus

**** you so hard! Omg, you got me ****ing good! I ****ing hate you! It's the middle of the night and my mum came running downstairs worried as **** from how much noise I made. Omg. I closed the laptop screen, but it was still making noise, then I had to open it again to close it and I saw it again and a freaked out. Oh god, that was amazing, thank you, lol.
Crawling through a tunnel that seems to get smaller the further you go. You get to the point where you can't go any further. You look over your shoulder to see if you can turn back but you can't see far enough. In the darkness you can hear the sound of water getting louder. And you're all alone.

TL;DR - Slowly drowning in the dark in a confined space on your own.
OUT OF ORDER
Page 1 of 4