I've been playing for a long time but never paid much attention to pedals and accesories for developing and modifying my sound. I've always used a standard cube amp and thought it was enough but as most of you might agree, it's not. So now I'm finally ready to spend a few bucks and get myself some decent guitar gear. What kind of pedals and other gear would be needed to develop a good distortion sound like the one used by Opeth, Devin Townsend, Steven Wilson and Tool? It's really embarassing asking this cuz I've been playing since I was 9 and I turn 23 in a few months, but I guess you gotta learn eventually. Looking forward to your feedback
Pedals suck.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
look for a new amp first, it's more common to hear amp distortion rather than pedal distortion these days on albums, it's a big investment but it's also the better choice.

but to answer your question more directly things like overdrives, reverb, compressors, modulations (chorus, flangers, etc.) delays...it's really a matter of trying things out. for distortion pedals you need to do some youtube surfing or take a stroll to the store and see what they got and just try them.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Step 1: Get a high-gain tube amp.
Step 2: Get a tubescreamer-esque overdrive pedal.
Step 3: Use the tubescreamer to boost an already-driven channel on the amp.
Step 4: Sound like almost every metalband ever.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Definitely get a good amp with decent distortion. People always seem to recommend Peavey, so perhaps start there?
Not that there is anything particularly wrong with cube's - but if you are getting serious perhaps an upgrade to a decent tube amp is worth considering. If you get something high gain you may not even need any pedals at all.

Really pedals should come last when putting together a setup, what guitar are you using and what sort of budget are you working with?
You're going to want a lot of delay, particularly for Devin Townsend. But really, the first thing to know about pedals is that you're going to want all of them.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
thanx..I guess I should really think of getting a decent amp. I already have a Yamaha Live amp, sounds pretty decent. anyone know anything better than that? how bout a Peavey or Marshall?
already sing a yamaha live and it sounds okayish to me. any particular models in a peavey?
marshall jcm800
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Klon
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by LeperDog
already sing a yamaha live and it sounds okayish to me. any particular models in a peavey?

Peavey 6505, Triple XXX, Ultra.
If you're comfortable poking around inside of the amp, Valvekings are excellent value and can be made to sound astonishing with some circuitry mods and a new speaker.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
What you really need is a Laney VH100.

If you are serious, answer the questions in this guide: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

That info will help us recommend amps that would be good for you.

Until then, I'll just add that unless your amp is good, no pedal will give you good tone. Piling crap on top of crap won't ever get you anywhere.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X