One of the things I hear a lot about is the crazy prices on imports from the US. At least for amps, you have Marshall and Laney (I'm digging both the vh100r and the Ironheart), and I'd probably be playing one if I lived in England.

Do you guys also have awesome British made guitars to avoid high prices, or do you guys generally bite the bullet for the guitar?
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Last edited by dspari1 at Apr 15, 2012,
I've never really thought about it like that... But I like my Fender guitars and I cant really think of any British guitar maker off the top of my head
No we don't (i think). But it at least the prices we pay aren't nearly as high as they in places like Australia and New Zealand.
Most British guitar makers are quite small, possibly one person companies who I can imagine charge a lot for a custom build and they build to order.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
The guy from Muse has Manson guitars and those are made in UK.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
There are makers like Burns and Gordon Smith, but they aren't the most popular brands.
Amps are definitely cheaper if they're locally made. I don't think it's the same with guitars because they're easier to ship in large quantities. Also, consider the fact that a very large number of guitars are made in the far east, and still remain affordable despite the increased transportation costs.

American guitars, although more expensive than in the US, are still reasonably priced.
I'd love to own a Gordon-Smith electric and a Fylde acoustic or mandolin, both British makes.
REGGIE
I was looking at getting the Fender Custom Player Jaguar HH, and it's about £729 over here, but to get one in the states works out at roughly £200 less, which is a lot. Mansons make really decent guitars, but their custom ones are really expensive.
the way to put it is,

2 Main contenders for 4 channel 100w head (IMO)

Mesa Boogie Roadster = £2500
Blackstar S1 1046l6 = £1000

Equally as good sounds

Being British and not an idiot I went for the blackstar.

What I wonder is,

Are mesa's reasonably priced in america and Blackstars expensive????
musical expression like turning your daydreams into sound
The problem with ''British'' brands is the only reasonably priced ones are outsourced to Korea and China just like every other brand, only since the British-owned ones don't have as big a presence in the market they tend to skimp on the fancier parts that can make a MIK or MIC guitar decent.

The other way they go is to make them all within the UK, and there we run into a huge problem. British workers price themselves out of the market and everybody values theimselves too highly. Guys that have been making guitars here for 10 years charge what a German with 30+ years of experience charges. You can put in a custom order with Mayones in Poland and get a hand made guitar from them for around two to two and a half grand, or you can ring up someone in the UK and get the same thing made starting at three grand plus. It's not like we can't see American prices. Block inlays are a +$90 option at Warmoth. Want to get block inlays instead of dots from a UK builder? That'll be an extra £200. Ridiculous.

And then all the builders complain that they don't get enough work. They're too elitist and up their own arses to be competitive but they rage that everybody shops elsewhere.

We're very lucky that when it comes to amps things are a bit more reasonable and we can get stuff from brands like Marshall and Vox at a competitive price.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Highelf04

Blackstar and Orange amps are UK made

lolwut?

blackstars are made in korea, and most of the oranges aren't made in the UK any more

fwiw i have a bunch of UK-made guitars. most were pretty decent value (though i got good deals on most of them).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Indie is a British brand, as are Brian May Guitars (limited selection, though).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
lolwut?

blackstars are made in korea, and most of the oranges aren't made in the UK any more

fwiw i have a bunch of UK-made guitars. most were pretty decent value (though i got good deals on most of them).

I say UK made....I mean "uk made"
If you understand
He means the company's british.

Usually i just buy the guitars imported. My dream guitar (if you convert the currency's) is £1000 cheaper in America.

For amps i only own british (3 Laney heads and a marshall cab), though i am thinking about getting a peavey.
In Sweden, a Fender American Standard Strat costs 11 000 SEK, which converts to 1628.88 USD by today's course. I know you asked about the british, but they are not the only guitarplayers outside the US. :P
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Chapman Guitars, not made in the UK, but it's a UK company. The guitars are normally pretty cheap but only available in limited numbers due to their business model.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
there is a scottish company WWR guitars the make some real nice guitars but we don't have import customs charges on anything from europe if its in europe, it's all good.
Thanks for the info. I wondered how musicians overseas handled expensive gear.

The consensus is that there are plenty of quality amplifiers at a reasonable price, but because of labor costs, importing and buying is equally as expensive.
DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
Diamond Nitrox Head
Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Highelf04
I say UK made....I mean "uk made"
If you understand

not really

Quote by RockGuitarist09
He means the company's british.

ah ok

i suppose

but i'd rather it were made here too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's not much point talking about the stuff which is simply owned by a British company but made elsewhere. Hell, most ''British'' companies are owned by American or German companies.

Ultimately, a guitar that comes off a big production line in China is going to be the same as all the other MIC instruments, no matter what name is on the headstock. The UK-made Fret Kings, for example, are worth talking about. The MIK Fret Kings are just some more lumps of wood to add to the pile.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i heard somewhere (guitar mag, i think, not just internet hearsay) that the UK fretkings were made in korea too and just finished off in the UK. if that's true (big if) then that's not so great either.

but i agree that a uk company which makes stuff elsewhere isn't much to talk about. not to say that they can't still be good instruments etc., just it's sorta more of the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?