Well here's the idea. I'm taking a badly planned build from a while back, and making it good. Here's the guitar:

I made the headstock too small, so there wasn't room for the tuners Then I used banjo tuners, but there's barely enough room back there for them. Time for a new headstock, this'll be fun.

Not particularly happy with the body either, so it's time for a new one. The only bit of this guitar that's going to survive is the neck.

Wish me luck
Quote by Point2Point
This could be shit or ****ing amazing, lets hope its the latter.

Let's hope so

Quote by michaelbot9000
i liked the body! at least it was just pine. Good luck!

So did I, there was a couple of problems though:

• The bridge wasn't lined up quite as perfectly as I would have like. Filling it in and shifting it about 1mm just seems like a complete pain.
  • There was a small gap between the pickguard and the Tele control plate where I had routed a small channel instead of drilling it. That resulted in a wee gap where you could see the wires, instead of just wood.
  • I wasn't too chuffed with the tremelo that was on it, so I'd be fitting a new one anyway, which would leave visible screw holes about the place.

Anyway, the general idea with this headstock it this:

Cut along the red line, so I have lots of surface area to glue on the new headstock. Now the question is, what wood? I'm thinking one of the ones already used on the neck, so either ash or jarrah? What do you guys reckon?

I'm going to resize all these images later, they're annoying me being too big
Last edited by whoomit at Apr 15, 2012,
Quote by Point2Point
Jarrah would look better than ash imo.

That's what I was thinking too. It would look like it was sprouting out from the middle.

Quote by -MintSauce-
Needs more cowbell.

Tomorrow my friend. Tomorrow.

So eh...

Seemed like such a shame cutting that headstock off after all the work I put in to recessing the washers on the tuners!

I'm away to head to band practice, so tomorrow I'm going to belt sand that to a shallower (?) angle to add more surface area. Then hopefully get started on the headstock too, depending on what other stuff I'm doing.

Peace out
Last edited by whoomit at Apr 15, 2012,
if that fails, I would look into the jag/stang trem, (axesrus.com sells them) requires some more routing but might suit you a little better
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
if that fails, I would look into the jag/stang trem, (axesrus.com sells them) requires some more routing but might suit you a little better

Yeah I was actually just thinking about that!

Just taken a look at that tremelo though. I think the problem stems from the spring being slightly too short:

I should be able to remed this by getting a longer bolt to hold the trem arm on, and then stacking some washers on the nut side.

The problem is finding them...
Quote by -MintSauce-
Needs more cowbell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spmFuaUASD4

Quote by Point2Point
I love the tremolo you have on there already, keep it.

Well you'll be glad to see I've got it sorted Just happened to run in to a screw the right thread today! Stacked some washers on the underside, and there we go. The spring provides enough tension now. Guess I'll use it after all!

That trem reminds me of the ones they used on the Silvertone/Teisco guitars, I just sold one a few weeks ago with one. Very finicky and don't take abuse all too well

On your headstock, I just would've cut the "wings" off the headstock, sand to 80-100 grit, and glue some new ones on. Fill the tuner holes with wood dowels and reglue a veneer on the front. Viola, new headstock material
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^ Yeah I had thought of that. I absolutely HATE filling things in though if I can avoid it. I just really hate the process, and this is kind of an experiment anyway

Well something's been gluing over night, and I'm away to get some more work done on this. Should have a decent update by the end of the day

Edit: Got nowhere near as much done as I thought I would. Spent so long trying to get a decent piece of jarrah. Most of the stuff we had seemed to be split. Finally got a piece for my headstock cut though. I'll get pics up in (hopefully) a few days, once it's planed, glued, and clamped
Last edited by whoomit at Apr 17, 2012,
What's that horrible piece of wood?

Oh, that's the jarrah! Took a bit of searching to find a good piece in amongst that though

Anyway, I got a good bit. Cut it, planed it, and now it's glued and clamped:

My word, look at all this dust! I must've been a busy bee. I've got a lot of hoovering to do!

Oh, would you look at that. It was all for nothing!

So I had a slight problem

Basically, the angled cut at the back of the neck wasn't completely level. I couldn't flatten it any more because the truss rod was in the way. Thought I'd give gluing it up a shot anyway though, no harm in trying right? I was then going to cover up the fact that it wasn't quite level by filing a small channel around the join and filling it with some black epoxy. Y'know, make it look deliberate.

Anyway... Suppose next thing to try is to match the curve on the headstock. See if I can get contact the whole way across the join. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this, so complicated!

Unless, y'know... Anybody has any other ideas?
Quote by whoomit
My word, look at all this dust! I must've been a busy bee. I've got a lot of hoovering to do!

Oh, would you look at that. It was all for nothing!

So I had a slight problem

Basically, the angled cut at the back of the neck wasn't completely level. I couldn't flatten it any more because the truss rod was in the way. Thought I'd give gluing it up a shot anyway though, no harm in trying right? I was then going to cover up the fact that it wasn't quite level by filing a small channel around the join and filling it with some black epoxy. Y'know, make it look deliberate.

Anyway... Suppose next thing to try is to match the curve on the headstock. See if I can get contact the whole way across the join. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this, so complicated!

Unless, y'know... Anybody has any other ideas?

Steinberger, baby!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
that's sucky sorry for your loss
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Steinberger, baby!

I don't know if you can even buy Steinberger systems anywhere. I can't seem to find any Interesting idea though.

Anybody got any other interesting ideas?
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Apr 24, 2012,
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by GABarrie

£312 and there's not even any indication of string spacing

Well there's no way I can touch that. I'm going to be unemployed in four weeks and I've got a grand in the bank to last me until I find a new job. I'm not going to blow it on that!
I hear you, I'm saving up for the 4 string bass stuff, want to go headless fretless on a bass build, got enough builds on my table before then though
Ibanez WD7 Wah
If you order it straight from ABM you can do it for about £200
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
If you order it straight from ABM you can do it for about £200

Still, it's a bit expensive for 'just a little experiment' though Although I have to commend you on actually managing to find though. Well done!
I'm a google master *zen*
Ibanez WD7 Wah