Are all these loaded with the same speakers originally? I know buying them used people may have swapped speakers but when the 1960a models left the factory, did they all use the same speaker or were there different option available?

I ask because I just scored a MOSFET Lead head and want a cab to pair with it. I found a 1960a on my local Craigslist (Rhode Island) for $350 and the guy said he's never switched the speakers but isn't sure what model they are. I'm looking for greenbacks ideally. If the 1960a came with them then I would assume this is a 4x12 greenback cab for $350 in which I will buy in a heartbeat.

I really want Greenbacks, (or people suggested Scumbacks, which I don't have any personal experience with), and I'm TRYING to keep the cab at $400 or under. It's JUST being used as my home practice/demo recording rig, so I don't need a $1,000 head and $800 cab like my live/studio gear (JCM-800 and 4x12 greenback cab). It doesn't have to be 4x12 either, 2x12 will work just as good. So if that 1960a I found on Craigslist ISN'T greenbacks, does anyone have any suggestions for a cab in the range with the greenback tone to pair with my new MOSFET?
"Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a hollywood basement."
i always thought 1960 marshall cabs had v30s in them. Get a custom made avatar 212 cab. brand new, with whatever speakers you want, around $400

EDIT: a quick search shows that MArshall 1960a cabs have G12T speakers
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Last edited by mrsixstrings12 at Apr 15, 2012,
Quote by mrsixstrings12
i always thought 1960 marshall cabs had v30s in them. Get a custom made avatar 212 cab. brand new, with whatever speakers you want, around $400

EDIT: a quick search shows that MArshall 1960a cabs have G12T speakers

I found the model speakers on musician's friend right after I posted but then I wasn't sure what they were, since it was just the model. I don't know the actual model number of greenbacks, or v-30s etc, that's what I'm in te process of looking at now, gainin knowledge lol.

The Avatars were suggested in my other thread too, I checked out the site last night and I'm definitley keeping them in mind. I believe a 2x12 with greenbacks was $439. I'm still searching local first though because shipping on a cab is gonna be pretty high. I found a 1960 cab with new greenbacks, 4x12, for $500 on Craigslist that I'm waiting for an email back on. A 4x12 Marshall with greenbacks for $500 is a much better option than a 2x12 for $439 plus high shipping lol. I do like how you can customize the avatars though.
I have a 1960a and it's loaded with Vintage 30s straight from the factory. I've seen a friend's that has Greenbacks in it also straight from the factory (so he says.)
Quote by poppameth
I have a 1960a and it's loaded with Vintage 30s straight from the factory. I've seen a friend's that has Greenbacks in it also straight from the factory (so he says.)

Yours would be a 1960AV. The normal 1960A is G12T75's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 15, 2012,
According the Marshall site the 1960a has G12T-75s and the 1960av has Vintage 30s now. Neither are Greenbacks. I don't know when the models numbers changed though. Mine has Vintage 30s and it labeled 1960A
Mine happens to be a Slash Signature cab from back in the late 90s if that makes any difference. It's definitely labeled 1960A and definitely has V30s though.
The 1960ax and ahw have greenbacks. I have a '91 ax cabinet with the stock speakers.
So the g12t-75s arent v-30s either then correct? I kinda figured they weren't greenbacks after seeing the "75", because I assumed that was the watt rating and I know greenbacks are 25w.

I'd actually go for vintage 30s too, but greenbacks are my first choice. I just love the classic/80s rock sound. The greenbacks I like a bit more just because of my main band being punk rock, I feel they give a bit extra "punk" to it (maybe thats just in my head, who knows lol), but both sound great.

If I scored another Marshall 4x12, I was thinking about maybe mixing speakers. Any thoughts on 2 greenbacks and 2 v-30s? Would the v-30s overpower the greenbacks, or drown out their characteristics at all, or would they combine nice with each other?
g12t75s are not greenbacks. they sound completely different. 75s are bright, open sounding and scooped and greenbacks are dark, middy and compressed. So they're basically complete opposites. Greenbacks are more of your typical '60s rock sound than '80s rock.

a lot of people like mixing V30s with T75s, they offset each other nicely in an X pattern.
V30's are wrong for your amps altogether, both of them. G12T75's aren't greenbacks but they are a greenback like sounding thing at higher power rating.
Keep your eye out for the big Mode Four cabs too - the MF400. They have Celestion G12K-100's in them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
V30's are wrong for your amps altogether, both of them. G12T75's aren't greenbacks but they are a greenback like sounding thing at higher power rating.
Keep your eye out for the big Mode Four cabs too - the MF400. They have Celestion G12K-100's in them.

Vintage 30s are wrong for MY amps? How so? I thought an 800 and v-30s was another classic combo (like an 800 and greenbacks), and the MOSFET is similar to an 800 also.

My "tone" is influenced by slash, and most of the famous "Marshall" guys from the 70s/80s, as well as a lot of the Marshall-using punk bands and their cleaner tones as opposed to the super fuzz, scratchy, harsh distortion. Like early Green Day to use the most well-known example.
V30s are very mid heavy, they'll make your amp honk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
V30s are very mid heavy, they'll make your amp honk.

Ah, definitely don't want that lol.
Just get a normal garden variety Marshall 1960A. Those things go cheap used all the time. They are the most common 4x12 on the planet. Dig a hole in the back yard and you'll probably find one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yours would be a 1960AV. The normal 1960A is G12T75's.

This. My 1960A is G12T-75s, factory.

Some greenbacks would be delicious though
WTLTL 2011