so last month i asked if i could pull 2 power tubes on my blue voodoo to cut my power rating in half and so far i have had great results. the amp sounds great and im really digging it but i have had a burning question..........

if i wanted to can i put the tubes i pulled back in their original spots without any biasing needed?

i know the decibel difference between 50/100 watts is about 3db and the only thing that will change is headroom but i really just want to know. i understand that biasing is always good but since the tubes were a matched quad would it really matter?

thanks in advance as always. im just trying to expand my knowledge some more.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
You can bias the amp, however if you are not replacing the tubes with new ones you should be ok.

The bias adjustment trim pot is internal and the bottom has to be removed to access it. I can post pictures later today if you would like.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 16, 2012,
you shouldnt need to re bias it. but it will help with the life of your tubes
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
thanks for the bump 311. the situation was, last month i wanted to know if i could pull two tubes to get some power tube breakup and some different tones. just out of curiosity. i have achieved what i wanted and would like to make the amp normal again

yeah you can bias it like mentioned above it is indeed on the inside of the chassis. i dont have a bias probe or anything yet ill be getting one soon. i did some research for the past two days and well....kinda just said the hell with it and threw two tubes back in. no problems, sounds fine, works fine ,im just gonna keep it this way. like i said im still in the learning phase of tubes and want to mess around with them and learn more.

thanks!
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

ill check it out when i get the bias probe. no more trips to the local tech for this guy.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I have two of these amps and modded one to sound a shit ton better with the help of ESistheBEST on here.

If you have any questions on anything related to these amps PM me.