Page 1 of 2
I haven't got a Telecaster but pretty sure I want the Baja. Current gear: HH Ibanez and a Roland Micro Cube.

Exactly the tone I am NOT after:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8XGTxXDajc

Even though I've tried the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 410 and absolutely fell in love with its overdrive channel. Problem? I was playing a HH Jackson through it :/

What I'm saying is, I think I loved the Hot Rod Deville 410 sound (specifically only the overdrive channel) only when playing a metal style HH through it.

Re: the video above, I just don't like that clean tone. It sounds way too old-fashioned. He plays classic style guitar and a few funk riffs, and I just don't like any of it, maybe the way he plays it but I dislike the tone too.

Bottom line: I need an amp that will really bring the heat out of a Telecaster. I want overdrive, something to compensate from the lower output of these pickups compared to what I'm used to. I love how these pickups respond and their vintage type "wooden" tone, but I still want that tone to be medium-high output sounds if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of trying a Marshall next time I go to the shops, but I'm just not sure.

Anyone got any recommendations? If you have a Telecaster, what amp do you play it through and what kind of tones do you must enjoy out of it?

BUDGET £400 NEW OR USED
"Which road do I take"? she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know", Alice answered.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Last edited by BadBanshee at Apr 23, 2012,
wait you fell in love with the od channel of the hrd? o_O

seriously, though... it depends on what you're after. anything reasonably high gain will help a tele get that tone, but just using a tubescreamer-style OD can help a lot with fender-style singles, as it fattens them up and fills out a lot of the frequencies they're missing for heavier stuff (not to mention adds gain which also helps), so i wouldn't worry about the amp too much.

that's not to say a twin will work as well as a 5150, of course, but yeah. if you find an amp which has enough heat for you with humbuckers with no boost, using the tele with a boost might suffice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right now I'm at home screwing around with this cheap tele I bought the other day. Dare I say, it sounds phenomenal through my lil Epi valve jr! Dirty, thick, p90 tele tone, I'm really impressed with my sub $250 bedroom rig right now. If your tight on cash or just need a practice amp, def check out the Epi valve jr
What I'm saying is, I think I loved the Hot Rod Deluxe 410 sound (specifically only the overdrive channel) only when playing a metal style HH through it.QUOTE]

The general consensus on the HDR drive channel that is it's awful...
I pride myself on my humility.
You like the distortion on an unmodded HRD ... I don't even .... what?
I don't know how to proceed, I may just slowly back away towards the exit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Play a few more tube amps before you decide you love the HRD's drive channel.
A red one
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
So you like Telecasters but the tone in the demo vid of the Telecaster you like was too thin or low-output?

He's playing pretty much entirely dry (slight reverb) through the clean channel of a Fender amp. Of course it's not going to sound like fat overdrive. Later on, he briefly adds overdrive in the form of a medium-gain dirt box on a moderate setting - of course this isn't going to produce a particularly saturated sound.

You express simply not liking the kind of music that the guy in the demo plays. So of course the demo isn't particularly moving you.

If you're looking for "modern" higher-gain sounds, and you dislike vintage tele sounds, maybe telecasters aren't for you.

If you want more saturation and gain straight out the box, then sure, something more like a Marshall makes sense for an amp. It kind of sounds like the issues you are having are really an issue with the amp that the guy played through in the demo, and the settings he used - pretty bone dry squeaky clean, and relatively bright.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Apr 15, 2012,
I recommend you instead something with P90 pickups, you can go for an used one. Btw, you can plug every decent guitar into decent every amp and get a decent tone. I don't know what you like most but what about a hot rod blues deluxe?
Last edited by cemges at Apr 15, 2012,
arghh... Hot Rod Deville, sorry >.<
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Haha, I had no idea most people hated the HRD OD. As you can tell I don't know much about Fender amps! Don't know much about amps in general actually. I've only ever played about 15 different amps in my life.

Doesn't change the fact tho that I did like the Hot Rod DEVILLE (does it even make a dif to deluxe?) OD. Tried the American Vintage 52 Telecaster through it though and wasn't as impressed.. maybe I'm the first person to play a Jackson through it and discovered an amazing tone. In which case I'm premiering my secret exclusively with you guys at UG first
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
@ Brainpolice2

It's pretty difficult to find videos of Telecasters where they play something other than exactly what they would expect a typical Telecaster player to play.

Actually, how could I forget Phil X?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyIiWkbZ-k

He uses a Vox AC30 with an "Evil Robot" pedal. Not a big fan of the AC30 though. Tried it and it didn't click with me. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance yet though.

Clean amp and using pedals for effects e.g. overdrive may be the way to go? What about a Roland JC-120? Just something I haven't tried yet but like what I have seen from videos just haven't tried it yet. Plus solid state reliability right?
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Last edited by BadBanshee at Apr 15, 2012,
I have an American Deluxe Tele and I put a little '59 pickup in it and it sounds amazing through my Mesa Boogie head and Orange 4x12.
I play in a Pop Punk band and we get heavy sometimes and I can get phenomenal sounds out iof it. Even through it's stock pickups it sounded amazing.

May be a preference thing, but I tend to turn the tone knob on a tele down about half-way, give or take a notch, to tame the brightness, while almost never using the bridge pickup. Then it suddenly becomes an awesome jazz guitar and can also produce nice full overdrive sounds. I absolutely love tele's, possibly more than strats - when they're tamed.
Ahh I'm primarily getting a Tele for that bridge pickup! Thing can slice through glass!

Jake, I'll give ur mp3s a listen next time I'm on a computer. Ur Tele is hot damn sexy btw.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Quote by BadBanshee
Ahh I'm primarily getting a Tele for that bridge pickup! Thing can slice through glass!

Jake, I'll give ur mp3s a listen next time I'm on a computer. Ur Tele is hot damn sexy btw.

Ya man it's a great pickup, I love it.
Thanks man, you can also listen to our songs I recorded with the tele on
our Facebook.

Link To Music
Quote by BadBanshee
He uses a Vox AC30 with an "Evil Robot" pedal. Not a big fan of the AC30 though. Tried it and it didn't click with me. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance yet though.

Phil X uses a Vox AC30 , Sometimes an AC15 or tweed deluxe for clean tones, and an Evil Robot AMP. It is based off of a small Magnatone Troubador or Tone Master that he used to use in early episodes of Fretted Americana and was a accordion amp. These amps new run about 1.5 grand and are american made. Cheaper amps are now being produced in Asia however and are being labeled Evil Robot C-30 and will go for an estimated 600-800 new.
If you liked the tone of the Jackson and the DeVille why not get the Jackson instead of the Tele?
Maybe a '72 Tele is more your speed? It is HH but still keeps some of that Tele tone...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
My telecaster and Princeton reverb (reissue) are pantscrappingly gorgeous together. Try one!

Clean tone for days in my Brooklyn apartment, looking forward to cranking it one day, I hear it's insane.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I want a tele because of the response of that bridge pickup, and also for the smaller fret radius neck. My Ibanez kills my hands for chords. Also just want to add a single coil guitar to my arsenal. Don't need a Jackson, my Ibanez is HH. The HRD was nice but I definitely want a Tele much much more and a suitable amp to run it through.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
I play mine through br00t4l half stacks with the gain knob dimed. Seriously.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Dude, teles are metal. what actual sounds are you looking to get from this said pairing? songs would help.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
i could be wrong but i think deville versus deluxe is just the wattage, 40 versus 60
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dementiacaptain
Dude, teles are metal. what actual sounds are you looking to get from this said pairing? songs would help.

I guess Frank Black, the frontman from my fav band, Pixies, plays a Telecaster, but that isn't what has inspired me to want a Tele. If anything, Joey's Les Paul is the dominating guitar sound in their songs.

I'm looking more for suggestions from you people, like examples of famous Tele players who played overdrive and what amps they used to get that sound.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
what's your budget?

do you have any youtube links to the type of od you like?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by BadBanshee
I guess Frank Black, the frontman from my fav band, Pixies, plays a Telecaster, but that isn't what has inspired me to want a Tele. If anything, Joey's Les Paul is the dominating guitar sound in their songs.

I'm looking more for suggestions from you people, like examples of famous Tele players who played overdrive and what amps they used to get that sound.

Well if that is really what you want

John 5 (JCM900 usually, has also used a JVM and Mode Four)

Jim Root (Orange Rockerverb 100 and Riviera knucklehead)

Prince (Soldano SLO)

That is the first three that come to mind. Check out Uberproaudio.com 's who plays what list.

Really though, any high gain amp should be able to get a tele into metal territory, assuming that your pickups are up to stuff.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Check out Uberproaudio.com 's who plays what list.

That is cool! Bookmarked!

If only there was a way on there to search for people with gear x, y and z.
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
oh ok

that just more or less a vintage fendery type of od. tweed, maybe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok

Can you tell me a little about the various Fender amps? I've got no idea tbh, all I know about Fender amps is that they're not exactly meant to be metal distortion amps. Which ones are good for high gain overdrive?
"Then", said the cat,
"it doesn't matter.”
Last edited by BadBanshee at Apr 20, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok

OD tone in that is coming from a Plush Cream pedal. Basically a modded Tubescreamer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ oh ok

tubescreamers do sorta sound american to my ears, though. maybe i'm way off on that.

^^ that's outside my area of expertise. also "none of the vintage ones" would be what you'd want for high gain od. and very few of the modern ones are aimed at it, either.#

fwiw i'd have called that tone in the vid low gain/vintage-style od, but then again i couldn't tell it was a pedal and not the amp, so what do i know?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by BadBanshee
Can you tell me a little about the various Fender amps? I've got no idea tbh, all I know about Fender amps is that they're not exactly meant to be metal distortion amps. Which ones are good for high gain overdrive?

EVH are Fender's high gain amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by BadBanshee

The Super Sonic has a pretty good higher gain tone too. I wouldn't say it's really high gain (like a 6505 or something) but it's got a lot of good sounding gain on tap.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
What is your budget?

He's in the UK everyone.

Do you play with a drummer ever?

What guitar are you using?

That's not high gain, not even close.

Depending on the answers to the questions above a VHT Special 6 Ultra combo may work if you're going cheap.

Or some kind of 5e3 clone.
i like telecasters through high gain amps. like a 5150 or a recto or a boosted marshall, it makes for an awesome post-hardcore sound.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Page 1 of 2