I am recording and such and my records sound much better on my brand new mac-book than they do on my 5 year old pc. How do producers get around this? Is it a formatting thing?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
They usually are going to be using interfaces in the same quality range if not the same one all the time (per album). Mixing and mastering will hammer out the even sound across an album.

I take it you are not recording properly if you are having different sound on PC and Mac. If you are using the internal soundcard of course its going to be different. They are not made for producing. If you take a set of speakers and a real interface and move them between the two you are not going to notice a difference. You can even use different DAWs and you won't notice a difference (it's been proven but some people argue against it).

So its not a formatting things. Its just a recording properly way. I am not a professional or anything, but on my current interface I know where I like the gain on my inputs for each instrument, and I am sure many professionals feel this way as well and in at least their home studios they keep the gain in that sweet spot.

The only thing I could really imagine being truly different is if you are using VSTis and switching DAWs. Some DAWs interrupt a tiny bit MIDI different. I had this when my DAW went from a 9.2 version to a 10.0. I made the mistake of upgrading while in the process of finishing up a guys album. When I opened up a track to do the finishing touches I noticed that on the ARP2600 emulation I was using an arp line sequenced different. I had to reinstall the old version and export it as a .wav then go back to the new version of the DAW and load up the .wav instead of the MIDI.
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 15, 2012,
Quote by FireHawk
They usually are going to be using interfaces in the same quality range if not the same one all the time (per album). Mixing and mastering will hammer out the even sound across an album.

I take it you are not recording properly if you are having different sound on PC and Mac. If you are using the internal soundcard of course its going to be different. They are not made for producing. If you take a set of speakers and a real interface and move them between the two you are not going to notice a difference. You can even use different DAWs and you won't notice a difference (it's been proven but some people argue against it).

So its not a formatting things. Its just a recording properly way. I am not a professional or anything, but on my current interface I know where I like the gain on my inputs for each instrument, and I am sure many professionals feel this way as well and in at least their home studios they keep the gain in that sweet spot.

The only thing I could really imagine being truly different is if you are using VSTis and switching DAWs. Some DAWs interrupt a tiny bit MIDI different. I had this when my DAW went from a 9.2 version to a 10.0. I made the mistake of upgrading while in the process of finishing up a guys album. When I opened up a track to do the finishing touches I noticed that on the ARP2600 emulation I was using an arp line sequenced different. I had to reinstall the old version and export it as a .wav then go back to the new version of the DAW and load up the .wav instead of the MIDI.

Could it be my speakers? i use like $400 speakers for my mac for recording and cheap speakers for my pc.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
I'd bet money that your $400 speakers sound a lot different than your PC speakers.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.