I bought new strings for my acoustic guitar. The guitar shop was to far away so I bought strings at the local pawn shop. I bought Ernie Ball Earthwood stings. Is it alright if the size is 12 gauge even if the guitar is for 10 gauge?
ya even if they don't fit perfectly down in the nut grooves unless the guitar is slipping out of tune every time you touch it or it sounds terrible compared to before you're probably fine.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
alright.the only problem I seem to have with it is that I can't get it in standard tuning only in DGCFAD Tuning. The strings feels like they'll pop if I tried.
Quote by 6DIG6
I bought new strings for my acoustic guitar. The guitar shop was to far away so I bought strings at the local pawn shop. I bought Ernie Ball Earthwood stings. Is it alright if the size is 12 gauge even if the guitar is for 10 gauge?
What makes you say the guitar is for "acoustic extra light". (.010 to .047)?

Most all makers ship with "acoustic light", (.012 to .053), which is what you have.

The only problem I can imagine with .012s, is if the guitar is 3/4 scale. In which case you might be better of waiting.

A temporary "Plan B", would be to tune to "D" to "D" standard, then capo up 2 frets when you play.

That should drop the tension down to that of the .010 set. (about 135 Lbs. as opposed to about 165 Lbs.).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 15, 2012,