Page 2 of 7
Quote by metaljaguar
Cobain wasnt looked at as a great guitarist, its guitar playing is very intermediate, but his message was his legacy. Lyrically he was a genius.

Exactly. He was a great song writer, not to be confused with a great guitarist.
I think he's on Rolling Stone's list, the mag I mean about Cobain.

I don't know if he was high or low on list, but on a list of 100, he should be there somewhere, no?

Edit: pay no attention to my avatar. There is no Weezer, White Stripes, or Black Keys ones.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Last edited by Killsocket at Apr 20, 2012,
Quote by Killsocket

Edit: pay no attention to my avatar. There is no Weezer, White Stripes, or Black Keys ones.

Sorry to be random, but that would be pretty cool.
A guitar player's music doesnt have to be hard to learn to be great. some brilliant solos are only made up of 4 or 5 notes.
no such thing as an overrated guitarist. moreover, why make a thread liek this then try and contradict everyone elses opinions you jsut asked for
Quote by Ruark
Van Halen
Clapton

Disagree. Though I agree when people call Clapton "God". Compared to Hendrix, Beck and Page - no way. He did nothing innovative. But definitely not overrated.

I HIGHLY disagree about Van Halen. Like Hendrix, he was another guy that was incredibly innovative and brought the guitar to a whole new level.
Quote by roushsn95
Disagree. Though I agree when people call Clapton "God". Compared to Hendrix, Beck and Page - no way. He did nothing innovative. But definitely not overrated.

I HIGHLY disagree about Van Halen. Like Hendrix, he was another guy that was incredibly innovative and brought the guitar to a whole new level.

I know. But I think sometimes with rock music (if not music in general), certain players become Holy Men, and the slightest hint of negativity towards them elicits gasps of horror. Sort of like a North Korean criticizing Kim Jong-Un....

Such it is with Clapton, in my opinion. He has immense technical prowess, sure, but at the end of the day, it's the music entering your ear that counts. I think Clapton fell off the wagon with "Pilgrim" which is on the album of the same name. He ventures into "concept music" and it just doesn't work. I REFUSE to fall to my knees and put my forehead on the floor just because it's - gasp - Clapton! "Pilgrim" sucks great green donkey dicks in the sky.

I'm not so well versed with Van Halen, although he's another one of the "Gods" who is purportedly beyond criticism. I find his music, taken alone (e.g.without video, without the forehead on the floor) to be a little egotistical. Then, additionally, the sight of him jumping around in candy-striped pajamas without a shirt doesn't help any. It's like he's a 3 year old on the playground yelling, "hey everybody, watch me!"

He has indeed made contributions to the guitar playing universe (FAR more than Clapton), and is worth studying in that regard, but in general, day in and day out, when I just want to put a CD in the player, I don't reach for Van Halen.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Quote by Ruark

Such it is with Clapton, in my opinion. He has immense technical prowess, sure, but at the end of the day, it's the music entering your ear that counts. I think Clapton fell off the wagon with "Pilgrim" which is on the album of the same name. He ventures into "concept music" and it just doesn't work. I REFUSE to fall to my knees and put my forehead on the floor just because it's - gasp - Clapton! "Pilgrim" sucks great green donkey dicks in the sky.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion. I'm not a fan of all his work also. Not everything great artists do is considered great. In fact, in regards to his guitar playing, there are better blues guitarist out there past and present. However, while he's an exceptional guitarist, Clapton's trump card was he could sing and write music. It's not a coincidence he was in some of the most important bands of the 60's and 70's (Cream, The Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominos) that made some incredible music. If you take his whole body of work and what he did for the guitar and blues by bringing it to a large mass audience, he deserves praise IMO.

Quote by Ruark

I'm not so well versed with Van Halen, although he's another one of the "Gods" who is purportedly beyond criticism. I find his music, taken alone (e.g.without video, without the forehead on the floor) to be a little egotistical. Then, additionally, the sight of him jumping around in candy-striped pajamas without a shirt doesn't help any. It's like he's a 3 year old on the playground yelling, "hey everybody, watch me!"

He has indeed made contributions to the guitar playing universe (FAR more than Clapton), and is worth studying in that regard, but in general, day in and day out, when I just want to put a CD in the player, I don't reach for Van Halen.

There are things about Eddie that are overrated. There are guys that could run circles around him technically, but Eddie did things on the guitar that were technical and innovative that no one did before him. And he'd been continually innovative throughout most of the bands career. He was no one trick pony. He also had a definitive sound and style that is easily recognized. Not only that, he could come up with some bad ass riffs and music. Lets face it, Van Halen is a bad ass band. Still are. Saw them a couple weeks ago.

You don't have to like their playing or their music or their personalities and antics. But I think you should be objective. Go beyond your perceptions and recognize their immeasurable contributions to the guitar and music.
Quote by roushsn95

You don't have to like their playing or their music or their personalities and antics. But I think you should be objective. Go beyond your perceptions and recognize their immeasurable contributions to the guitar and music.

Maybe this is picking nits, but if we really want to stay true to the topic, we could ask just what we mean by "overrated." For example, are we talking about undeserved or unearned popularity, i.e. "overmarketed"? Overrated technical prowess? Players with mediocre musical ability but with great "contributions to the field"?
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Quote by Ruark
Maybe this is picking nits, but if we really want to stay true to the topic, we could ask just what we mean by "overrated." For example, are we talking about undeserved or unearned popularity, i.e. "overmarketed"? Overrated technical prowess? Players with mediocre musical ability but with great "contributions to the field"?

It's all that or any aspect of someone's playing, ability, music, etc, that makes them overrated. The problem is some people just throw out names and don't give concise reasons why they think someone's overrated.
How did nobody see my post? JOHN PETRUCCI.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
AT the risk of being very controversial I'm going to nominate Jimmy Page and his band as being the most over rated guitar player and band ever.
Don't get me wrong Page was a great player - and Zeppelin on song were awesome, but I never really got the fuss about either. There were better players and bands of the era that just didn't have the masterful management that Zeppelin did.
And I have to admit that my views are tainted because Zeppelin continually claimed classic blues works as their own.
Quote by MarkWilliam
There were better players and bands of the era that just didn't have the masterful management that Zeppelin did.

Examples?

Quote by MarkWilliam

And I have to admit that my views are tainted because Zeppelin continually claimed classic blues works as their own.

Exactly.
Quote by Mr Y
The Edge, without a doubt, he#s nothing without his effects and pedals. Did you see 'It Might Get Loud', He couldn't even play his own song, he was playing a DM when he was suppose to play a C, and in front of Mr White and Mr Page....embarassing.

Because he is illiterate in music theory. He never learned the name of notes, chords, etc. Obviously he is a "feel" musician. Many musicians are...

With that said your judging him on an impossible criteria. Most theological, technical musicians have the least soul, style, an are just flat out boring and numbing to listen too.
Wood affects tone due to the engorgment of the corpus cavernosum.
I cant help it. I masturbate so fast my hands go back in time and type all sorts of crazy shit.
Goth is the theatrical element without being a whiny little emo bitch.
Examples?

In no particular order

Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Bad Company, Yes all meant more to me as bands then Zeppelin

Guitar players
Blackmore, Howe, Beck & Rory Gallager (my all time favorite) all meant more to me than Page
Quote by MarkWilliam
In no particular order

Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Bad Company, Yes all meant more to me as bands then Zeppelin

Guitar players
Blackmore, Howe, Beck & Rory Gallager (my all time favorite) all meant more to me than Page

let's argue opinions some more!
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Clapton, Vai, Hammett, particularly metal guitarists, that are technically able, but there is nothing melodic or feeling to any of their songs and i cant describe how bad the man love is other these lot,

Clapton is overrated only because people think hes god, and hes very good but there were a fair few better players IMO.

Slash is an odd one, he was technically brilliant, a riffmaster, and melodic, but he was very inconsistent, most GNR songs in my opinion are substandard albulm fillers, so hes overrated in the sense that hes considered god IMO of course, but he is still a brilliant guitarist.
The thing people don't seem to know about Angus Young is that he's playing with so much effort in hes' vibrato and bends etc. You have to listen really close to all of the perfect little details he puts into everything he does. It's really tight and the notes he chooses to play matches perfectly with the song.

I always hear people telling me they can play an ACDC solo without even trying hard. And that's the problem. You've got to put effort into the notes and bends and try to be dynamic.

Sure. You can play he's solos. But can you play them the right way? Dynamics? Timing? Vibrato? Feeling?

By the way
Paul kossoff , one of the most underrated guitarists there ever was
Last edited by marshallmannen at May 19, 2012,
I gotta go with Angus Young. They give him so much credit but all of AC/DC's songs sound the same. I do like AC/DC but it gets old quick because it all has the same riff or something close to it.
Overrated is a massive word to use.
Some people will never be satisfied, and just think the guitarist they found on youtube that no one else knows is the best ever.

All of the guitarists here have made their mark, for one reason or another they deserve it.

So im gonna go with every person here, as the most overrated guitarist
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Angus Young, Slash, Kurt Cobain, Jack White and (now someone will try to kill me) Jimi Hendrix
Clapton- No where near as creative as Hendrix or as diverse as Beck. His music is boring to me, and while he does deserve a place among the all time top 100 guitarists for his influence, no way is he top 10 material. I have heard much better blues players, like srv or moore. I don't care that he influenced them, to me both moore and srv were much better bluesmen.

Malmsteem- technically brilliant but extremely boring. He showcases his virtouso abilities and doesn't seem to focus on the actual song.
^ I don't exactly agree with you about Clapton, but I notice that most of his songs never show his true talent. "He doesn't have to show off, we all know he's good." But do we? I can't think of any songs off the top of my head where he truly lets it go.

That being said, I don't have any on-topic input. It's not my place to rate guitarists
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If Hendrix were to be alive today, he would even say he's overrated- even in the 60's when interviewers told him that he was the greatest guitar player ever he would decline and say he's far from it
the Edge for sure, but i dont understand why people are saying jack white. It's not like he is praised like Page type. He is only reconised for a down and dirty blues player and great song writer.
Joe Bonamassa. I don't get what some see in him. It's like they've never heard blues before. He isn't that great, and he certainly isn't original.
Paul Gilbert is my choice, because he is developing his technique in the past 30 years not just sticking to his the style of which he has been known and He also a versatile guitarist. compare to Yngwie Malmsteen who always stays at the comfort zone of his neo classical stuff.

I never understand the "The edge would sound like crap without his effects!!" argument. First of all, NO, his tone through those AC30s is unbelievable. Even just on a clean channel. And his technique is really unique.

Second, MOST guitarists would sound worse without their effects. Any heavy metal player without their distortion pedals would sound really stupid (and metal usually sounds pretty dang stupid anyways...) Imagine the comfortably numb solo without any effects?? Not nearly as awesome sounding. The police without chorus? Hendrix without wah?? chickin pickers without compression??? Icky thump without fuzz???? Often times, its the effects that make the songs really great or unique i think. The only rock guitarist i can think of who would probably sound just as good if you removed his effects would be angus young, because he didnt use any.

Third, why the hell does that matter?? So what if he sounds better with his effects, those effects are just as much his way of making music and being creative as his guitar. Not to mention his knowledge of signal processing would absolutely put anyone here to shame. If anything, we should be MORE impressed that he can make such often minimalist guitar parts sound so transcendent and atmospheric just by kicking on a couple stompboxes.

Thats my 2 cents on the edge. As far as overrated guitarists, Id say kirk hammett. But then im kind of biased against metal and terrible guitar tone.
And anyone who says Jimi Hendrix doesnt know what theyre saying. Voodoo child might be the greatest hard rock guitar performance ever, and he played it before hard rock was even a genre.
Last edited by jackswaggawagon at Jul 10, 2012,
Quote by jackswaggawagon
I never understand the "The edge would sound like crap without his effects!!" argument. First of all, NO, his tone through those AC30s is unbelievable. Even just on a clean channel. And his technique is really unique.

Second, MOST guitarists would sound worse without their effects. Any heavy metal player without their distortion pedals would sound really stupid (and metal usually sounds pretty dang stupid anyways...) Imagine the comfortably numb solo without any effects?? Not nearly as awesome sounding. The police without chorus? Hendrix without wah?? chickin pickers without compression??? Icky thump without fuzz???? Often times, its the effects that make the songs really great or unique i think. The only rock guitarist i can think of who would probably sound just as good if you removed his effects would be angus young, because he didnt use any.

Third, why the hell does that matter?? So what if he sounds better with his effects, those effects are just as much his way of making music and being creative as his guitar. Not to mention his knowledge of signal processing would absolutely put anyone here to shame. If anything, we should be MORE impressed that he can make such often minimalist guitar parts sound so transcendent and atmospheric just by kicking on a couple stompboxes.

Thats my 2 cents on the edge. As far as overrated guitarists, Id say kirk hammett. But then im kind of biased against metal and terrible guitar tone.
And anyone who says Jimi Hendrix doesnt know what theyre saying. Voodoo child might be the greatest hard rock guitar performance ever, and he played it before hard rock was even a genre.

I agree ........he was an incredible guitarist try,playing Bold as Love.... The whole songs a lead. I've been working on it for two weeks and I just got to the Chorus.....
Now overated, id say slash love his Jams but he's not like god or whatever
Quote by PinkZepStones
Clapton, Vai......technically able, but there is nothing melodic or feeling to any of their songs.....

A few examples that prove your statement wrong.

Clapton: Wonderful Tonight, Layla (acoustic)

Vai: For the Love of God, Tender Surrender

Yes, they dove into some wankery, but you have to admit that their playing was melodic and emotional at times.
Slash and Hendrix both suck dick. "Oh, but try learning some of Slash's songs!" try learning a Paul Gilbert song. You can't buy Gilbert posters at Wal-Mart. Hendrix, ehhh, he's alright, but no where near "one of the greatest guitarist to ever live"