Page 3 of 7
I feel like Jimi Hendrix is overrated but c'mon who would beat him in a duel???... Nobody. And there's only about 3-5 years worth of recordings for him compared to other overrated guitarists who have at least 10 years worth of stuff.
Steve Vai, Joe Satch, Kirk Hammett, and a lot of other thrashers and slashers that bore me.
Quote by Zetsword
Steve Vai, Joe Satch, Kirk Hammett, and a lot of other thrashers and slashers that bore me.

Stevie Vaughan is trash? its oright to be jealous when u know you're never gonna play close what he did... that guy had a lot of creativity and soul.... try to play a solo live with a broken string and change guitars after the solo without stopping the song
Last edited by ozzystar at Aug 11, 2012,
Quote by ozzystar
Stevie Vaughan is trash? its oright to be jealous when u know you're never gonna play close what he did... that guy had a lot of creativity and soul.... try to play a solo live with a broken string and change guitars after the solo without stopping the song

He said Steve Vai. Not Stevie Vaughan.

VAI.
Please keep in mind, that you have to write, which guitar player is overrated and not which guitar player you don't like. I think many people hate Kirk Hammett for what he is doing with his wah pedal and stuff but he has many solos, that use the wah pedal in a very creative way and as sethkins already said, being a good guitar player is about how tasteful the music is.
So I wouldn't say, that Kirk Hammett is that over-rated.
Last edited by FabulousIan at Aug 13, 2012,
Quote by Shred_Guitar_
Angus Young, Slash, Kurt Cobain, Jack White and (now someone will try to kill me) Jimi Hendrix

Seconded my friend
Eat online revolutionary ordering system for restaurants
It's not about who do you like or not, who do you prefer to listen to. Let's take a look at Yngwie Malmsteen: he's a great guitar player, but most of people doesn't like his music. Take Slash, he's not such a great guitar player, but he makes great music. Now guitar technique is objective; you can't say someone sucks, if he's Steve Vai. But you can say someone's music sucks but that is subjective. Guitar players like Vai, Satch, Petrucci are respected for their guitar technique, guitar players like Slash, Hammet are respected for their music. Not saying that they are bad guitar players. Not at all. Thing is that, because the technique is objective, you can't say that he's (Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci) overrated. They are respected because of that and it doesn't matter if their music isn't so great. While Slash isn't overrated because he does great music, don't matter his techique. The problem is that the GNR fans think Slash is the best, that's wrong. This is objective. Slash can't be the best. He can't beat Malmsteen, Vai, Petrucci. Rare guitar players are overrated, as they must be famous for something (****ing the modern music). So the thing is that Vai is respected for his playing, while Slash is respected for his music.
Hendrix is not overrated.
Quote by M.V.
It's not about who do you like or not, who do you prefer to listen to. Let's take a look at Yngwie Malmsteen: he's a great guitar player, but most of people doesn't like his music. Take Slash, he's not such a great guitar player, but he makes great music. Now guitar technique is objective; you can't say someone sucks, if he's Steve Vai. But you can say someone's music sucks but that is subjective. Guitar players like Vai, Satch, Petrucci are respected for their guitar technique, guitar players like Slash, Hammet are respected for their music. Not saying that they are bad guitar players. Not at all. Thing is that, because the technique is objective, you can't say that he's (Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci) overrated. They are respected because of that and it doesn't matter if their music isn't so great. While Slash isn't overrated because he does great music, don't matter his techique. The problem is that the GNR fans think Slash is the best, that's wrong. This is objective. Slash can't be the best. He can't beat Malmsteen, Vai, Petrucci. Rare guitar players are overrated, as they must be famous for something (****ing the modern music). So the thing is that Vai is respected for his playing, while Slash is respected for his music.
Hendrix is not overrated.

While I agree with most of this, using Slash as an example is where I disagree, and the answer lies in your own statement. It is because fanboys hoist him high into the clouds and praise him as the best that he is overrated. Yes he* makes some good music and yes I think he should get some credit because he is obviously good at what he does, and based on the fame of the band it would be impossible to disagree with that. But some people need to understand what it means to be overrated(which literally means overestimating the merits of something), and that there is no such thing as "the best". It's all one big penis-waving competition in the end anyway.

*insert any guitar player's name here
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Last edited by TheUltimateSin at Sep 26, 2012,
I couldn't agree more, I didn't turn the words the right way. There is no such thing as the best in ANY thing.
It really irritates me to see people comparing musicians who strive for technical superiority to musicians who just play the band game, because they are in 2 completely different leagues and play 2 completely different styles of music. That's like comparing people who play video games for hobby against people who play competitively, or any other similar situation. And the whole thing reeks of retarded arguments that make no difference anyway because once someone has a notion in their head, very rarely does it change regardless of what you tell them. I like to use myself as an example, because as far as I'm concerned, Randy Rhoads was one of the best musicians ever. Was he more skilled than say, Paul Gilbert? It would be foolish to say so. Does that change my opinion? Nope. Does someone else telling me that change my opinion? Nope. But I also don't go throwing it around in everyone's face either, nor do I tell someone else that he's better than whoever they listen to.

Basically, being a musician sucks.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
OH MY GOD jimi hendrix? overrated? Blasphemy. Jimi hendrix was playin in the damn 60's
he is one of fathers of heavy blues and rock, jeez!
i think kieth richards is overrated, dont get me wrong i love his music but he aint the
best. and in a way stevie ray vaughn is overrated, i hate to say it but ALMOST EVERY
EACH ONE OF HIS SOLO SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME!!!! PS I HATE anyone that says
hendrix suck....Good day
^I literally lol'd at both of those.

And not in a good way.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Last edited by TheUltimateSin at Sep 27, 2012,
Zakk Wylde and Slash.... Perhaps it's just me being sick of seeing them constantly ( along with all the crap they crank out with their name on it)
Quote by TheFUBAR
the Satch, and the Vai LoL

Sooo underrated.. maybe not on UG but they didn't even make the top 100 on rolling stone's list.
Quote by Zatriani
Sooo underrated.. maybe not on UG but they didn't even make the top 100 on rolling stone's list.

First problem: it was a Rolling Stones list.

Second problem: it was a Rolling Stones list
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by smartguyreviews
I need to say it. Forgive me.

Clapton.

Quote by arthur_s
Tomi Iomi form Black Sabbath is on of them to

Considering that he basically defined the sound and style of heavy metal as we know it, Tony Iommi is HARDLY overrated....
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by francesco18
In the ''total hack'' category = Jack White hands down.

Also Kirk Hammett... he's wrote some memorable solos in the studio, but live is often sloppy as hell and his tone is just terrible.

This may be the most intelligent insight on this thread so far -- although I have yet to read it all.
Quote by Sullinger
Slash and Hendrix both suck dick. "Oh, but try learning some of Slash's songs!" try learning a Paul Gilbert song. You can't buy Gilbert posters at Wal-Mart. Hendrix, ehhh, he's alright, but no where near "one of the greatest guitarist to ever live"

That is one whole lotta shredding-is-the-only-real-form-of-guitar-playing-stupidity..

Poul Gilbert is awesome, no doubt about it. But he did not in any way revolutionize the way people plays the guitar, and in 50 years i'm sorry to say that he is probably forgotten by most people. But in 50 years people are still gonna hear about Hendrix.

And Slash doesn't suck dick. There is an absolute legitimate reason that HE is on the poster in some 10-year-olds bedroom wall, and not Poul Gilbert. He created some incredibly tasty and awesome licks and solos, and is also (to many people) just a symbol of rock n' roll! If he was bad he wouldn't ever have achieved the level of fame that he did.

"Sometimes one soulfull bend is much better than 50 fast picked notes" - someone way wiser than you
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Last edited by rasmusschulz at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by rasmusschulz
Poul Gilbert is awesome, no doubt about it. But he did not in any way revolutionize the way people plays the guitar, and in 50 years i'm sorry to say that he is probably forgotten by most people.

I'd just like to point out a few things real quick:

1. I don't think you really understand what the word "revolutionize" means. Hendrix didn't really "revolutionize" anything; he added more distortion than people were used to and dropped acid a lot and wound up writing some really catchy shit. If anything were closer to "revolutionizing how people play the guitar", then it would be blues guitarists in the 20's-50's. People like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton, B.B. King.

2. I was unaware you owned Doc Brown's DeLorean and went 50 years into the future to ask everyone on earth if they had forgotten about Paul Gilbert yet.

I'll use myself as an example in this situation; I know far more people who know who Paul Gilbert is by name than who know who Slash is. In fact, for a long time, they just knew him as "that guy from G n' R. with that hat", especially because for the last..I don't know...almost 30 years(?), Slash hasn't been in a successful project whereas Paul has been churning out albums on an almost steady basis, nearly all of them exceptionally good.

3. It may help your case if you knew what you were really talking about instead of (what seems like)clinging to some misguided belief that Mainstream Popularity = Good. Here's a good example for that as well: You mentioned posters hanging in 10-year old's rooms? How about Fall Out Boy posters? Lady GaGa? Maybe Panic! At The Disco? Or how about Justin Bieber? You do realize that posters of these groups are hanging in kids' rooms as well, right? Does that meant they have contributed something useful to musical revolution? At least people like Paul Gilbert are continuing to further their abilities and understanding of their instrument(something you would know if you've ever seen an interview or a clinic with him) whereas Slash really hasn't contributed anything except playing in a band.

And before you make any further assumptions; No, I'm not hating on Slash. I love old G n' R and I respect him as an artist, and I do think he wrote some cool licks. Everyone likes using him as their glimmering, trophy example, so I like to swing the pendulum the other way though. And no, I'm no trying to hold Paul's name up to the clouds. I was just using your own example. You could replace his name with several other artists who play that style with that goal.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Last edited by TheUltimateSin at Oct 8, 2012,
Quote by TheUltimateSin

1. I don't think you really understand what the word "revolutionize" means. Hendrix didn't really "revolutionize" anything; he added more distortion than people were used to and dropped acid a lot and wound up writing some really catchy shit. If anything were closer to "revolutionizing how people play the guitar", then it would be blues guitarists in the 20's-50's. People like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton, B.B. King.

Off course those old blues dudes revolutionized guitar-playing way more than Hendrix, but we weren't really talking about them were we? And i'm gonna have to disagree with you. Alot (and i mean ALOT) of guitarists mention Hendrix as an inspiration. He revolutionized how we record guitar and how we play them. For an example i think most people here likes John Frusciante. He is HUGELY inspired by Hendrix, and anyone who says otherwise could easily be considered slightly retarded.

Quote by TheUltimateSin
2. I was unaware you owned Doc Brown's DeLorean and went 50 years into the future to ask everyone on earth if they had forgotten about Paul Gilbert yet.

I'll use myself as an example in this situation; I know far more people who know who Paul Gilbert is by name than who know who Slash is. In fact, for a long time, they just knew him as "that guy from G n' R. with that hat", especially because for the last..I don't know...almost 30 years(?), Slash hasn't been in a successful project whereas Paul has been churning out albums on an almost steady basis, nearly all of them exceptionally good.

I'm not saying that i know that Poul Gilbert will be forgotten, but people tend to remember the superstars over the ones with insane skills. It is called making an assumption, and IMO i did that on an acceptable foundation. If you don't think so, i'm not gonna b*tch about it.

And that is exactly why Slash is great. If you can be remembered 25 years forward in time based on 2 or 3 albums you ARE great! And btw i think some people would consider Velvet Revolver some kind of a succesful project.

Quote by TheUltimateSin
3. It may help your case if you knew what you were really talking about instead of (what seems like)clinging to some misguided belief that Mainstream Popularity = Good. Here's a good example for that as well: You mentioned posters hanging in 10-year old's rooms? How about Fall Out Boy posters? Lady GaGa? Maybe Panic! At The Disco? Or how about Justin Bieber? You do realize that posters of these groups are hanging in kids' rooms as well, right? Does that meant they have contributed something useful to musical revolution? At least people like Paul Gilbert are continuing to further their abilities and understanding of their instrument(something you would know if you've ever seen an interview or a clinic with him) whereas Slash really hasn't contributed anything except playing in a band.

Whoa! I don't remember saying anything about Slash revolutionizing anything? I said that if you are the one hanging on those bedroom walls you ARE good at what you do! And Slash is good at what he does! Or did..

Believe me when i say i hate all those pop/rock artists that you mention, but none the less they are seriously good at what they do!

I just don't believe that technical ability has anything to do with being good. If you can pick a million notes per minute that doesn't make you the best at playing guitar. It just makes you the fastest picker in the world. No more.

I'm just offering my oppinion and you are doing the same, so let's at least respect each other.
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Quote by rasmusschulz
Off course those old blues dudes revolutionized guitar-playing way more than Hendrix, but we weren't really talking about them were we? And i'm gonna have to disagree with you. Alot (and i mean ALOT) of guitarists mention Hendrix as an inspiration. He revolutionized how we record guitar and how we play them. For an example i think most people here likes John Frusciante. He is HUGELY inspired by Hendrix, and anyone who says otherwise could easily be considered slightly retarded.

We were talking about revolutionizing guitar playing, were we not? "those old blues guys" certainly revolutionized it then. All I am saying is just because you inspire someone else doesn't mean you've revolutionized anything; It means you've inspired. And it would be a 100% accurate statement to say that Hendrix certainly inspired hundreds of people. But that has nothing to do with revolutionizing. That is the difference I am trying to point out.

I'm not saying that i know that Poul Gilbert will be forgotten, but people tend to remember the superstars over the ones with insane skills. It is called making an assumption, and IMO i did that on an acceptable foundation. If you don't think so, i'm not gonna b*tch about it.
I offer another example: Paul Gilbert IS a superstar. He was in both Racer X and Mr. Big(both really popular rock bands from the 80's/90's), as well as his solo stuff. Practically the entire country of Japan knows who he is alone, because he lived there for quite some time and also was a regular guest on a popular television show(hosted by ex-Megadeth guitarist Marty Friedman), so exposure is not an issue for him; He is exceptionally well known

And that is exactly why Slash is great. If you can be remembered 25 years forward in time based on 2 or 3 albums you ARE great! And btw i think some people would consider Velvet Revolver some kind of a succesful project.

Velvet Revolver was basically a trainwreck; I have without a single doubt more people agree than disagree.

Whoa! I don't remember saying anything about Slash revolutionizing anything? I said that if you are the one hanging on those bedroom walls you ARE good at what you do! And Slash is good at what he does! Or did..

I wasn't saying Slash revolutionized anything. I was talking about popularity in reference to mainstream music.

Believe me when i say i hate all those pop/rock artists that you mention, but none the less they are seriously good at what they do!

Being good at what you do =/= playing a style of popular music with today's youth

I just don't believe that technical ability has anything to do with being good. If you can pick a million notes per minute that doesn't make you the best at playing guitar. It just makes you the fastest picker in the world. No more.

Actually technical ability has a lot to do with being a good player, because if you are experimenting with furthering your physical playing abilities, then you are going to open up to new ways to play your instrument and potentially discover new sounds you otherwise might never have known how to accomplish. And for the record, technical ability doesn't automatically mean playing fast. That is a common misconception by people who don't actually know what it means. Just food for thought

I'm just offering my oppinion and you are doing the same, so let's at least respect each other.

I mean no disrespect, I am only offering enlightenment and constructive criticism.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Last edited by TheUltimateSin at Oct 8, 2012,
It seems that we just disagree, and ain't gonna come to any kind of agreement ever. So it has been nice discussing with you, but since we just have different oppinions on pretty much everything and it doesn't seem like neither of us is gonna give in, i'm closing our discussion here.

Have a nice day
At least you're polite about it. To be honest, this topic is rather stupid and pointless, and never contributes anything constructive. Should probably be closed like it's 23472346 predecessors
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
We can at least agree on that!
Quote by TheUltimateSin
At least you're polite about it. To be honest, this topic is rather stupid and pointless, and never contributes anything constructive. Should probably be closed like it's 23472346 predecessors
I'd rather have good discussion about pointless topics than no discussion at all.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I meant discussion about pointless things that are still on topic in this forum, but...your idea has potential.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I guess I didn't realize how much it's actually slowed down around here. Been gone longer than I thought
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
I disagree with most of these guitarists that people are saying are overrated. Angus Young, Hendrix, Slash?? Really? They're ****ing fantastic.
Quote by TheUltimateSin

And before you make any further assumptions; No, I'm not hating on Slash. I love old G n' R and I respect him as an artist, and I do think he wrote some cool licks. Everyone likes using him as their glimmering, trophy example, so I like to swing the pendulum the other way though. And no, I'm no trying to hold Paul's name up to the clouds. I was just using your own example. You could replace his name with several other artists who play that style with that goal.

This is truly strange. To say that jimi didnt actually revolutionize guitar is just factually wrong. I dare you to name one rock guitarist IN THE WORLD right now who isnt in some way, whether they know it or not, influenced by jimi (not to mention his influence on RnB, heavy metal, and punk.) Yes, the blues players of the early 20th century are probably more influential in the grand scheme of things, but that doesnt lessen jimi's influence.
also, im not sure what you mean by "successful project." Regardless of your opinion on the aesthetic quality of paul gilberts discography of the last 20 years vs slash's, i can guarantee you slash has still sold probably a million or two more records than paul in the last couple decades. Paul might crank out some good music, but if by successful you mean "people actually listen to it and it has descent mainstream sales," than no, paul gilbert is not as successful as slash. And yes, i know that lady gaga and hannah montana also have sold more albums than paul gilbert; they are also more successful.
Just for the record, i think both slash and gilbert are overrated. i think theyre are also two of the best guitarists in the world right now, but definitely overrated.
Quote by rasmusschulz
And Slash doesn't suck dick. There is an absolute legitimate reason that HE is on the poster in some 10-year-olds bedroom wall, and not Poul Gilbert. He created some incredibly tasty and awesome licks and solos, and is also (to many people) just a symbol of rock n' roll! If he was bad he wouldn't ever have achieved the level of fame that he did.

This is a terrible argument. Justin Beiber is surely on more kids' walls than both of them put together.