Page 4 of 7
My vote would have to go to Tom Morello. I have just never understood how playing with delay and a whammy pedal makes you "great".
Quote by jackswaggawagon
This is truly strange. To say that jimi didnt actually revolutionize guitar is just factually wrong. I dare you to name one rock guitarist IN THE WORLD right now who isnt in some way, whether they know it or not, influenced by jimi (not to mention his influence on RnB, heavy metal, and punk.) Yes, the blues players of the early 20th century are probably more influential in the grand scheme of things, but that doesnt lessen jimi's influence.
also, im not sure what you mean by "successful project." Regardless of your opinion on the aesthetic quality of paul gilberts discography of the last 20 years vs slash's, i can guarantee you slash has still sold probably a million or two more records than paul in the last couple decades. Paul might crank out some good music, but if by successful you mean "people actually listen to it and it has descent mainstream sales," than no, paul gilbert is not as successful as slash. And yes, i know that lady gaga and hannah montana also have sold more albums than paul gilbert; they are also more successful.
Just for the record, i think both slash and gilbert are overrated. i think theyre are also two of the best guitarists in the world right now, but definitely overrated.

....I think the boat left and you weren't on it.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by Dynamight
Also, Jimi Hendrix.

you did not just say that
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
The edge.
Did anyone see 'It Might Get Loud' ?
derp. way out of his league.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Quote by andyhaake
My vote would have to go to Tom Morello. I have just never understood how playing with delay and a whammy pedal makes you "great".

I like this answer. I purchased Audiosalves debut CD thinking to hear something groundbreaking and was bored to tears with his playing. He can play yes, but does not deserve the hype he gets.

I think Alex Lifeson from Rush is overrated too... hell that whole band is overrated.
Quote by MEGADETHGOD
I think Alex Lifeson from Rush is overrated too... hell that whole band is overrated.

Quote by sethkins
Angus young, Kurt cobain

I'd have to 2nd that--at least the 2nd half of it...
I'm thinking Jimmy Page is a tad bit overated..........................................................................................................................................

But I still think he's awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TrentDog1

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I completely disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rush is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by fenderstratfan at Nov 27, 2012,
I've found that if anything, Rush is underrated. They make some awesome rhythms and the solos from "Workin' Man" will tell you all you need to know about Alex Lifesons soloing ability. Neil Peart's drumming could stand alone as a cool song on many occasions and Geddy's vocals are some of my favorite. I've always enjoyed the singers that do the higher register stuff.
Quote by Art Vandalay
I've found that if anything, Rush is underrated. They make some awesome rhythms and the solos from "Workin' Man" will tell you all you need to know about Alex Lifesons soloing ability. Neil Peart's drumming could stand alone as a cool song on many occasions and Geddy's vocals are some of my favorite. I've always enjoyed the singers that do the higher register stuff.

Rush is not underrated. They have plenty of recognition, are clearly still immensely popular, and possess the record sales to prove it. Great band, but not underrated.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Rush have a massive cult following. They aren't overrated though.

Quote by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
1) Van Halen
2) Jeff Beck
3) Eric Clapton
4) Slash
5) Dave Mustaine
6) Jimmy Hendrix
7) Pete Townshend
8) Ritchie Blackmore
9) Kirk Hammett
10) Jimmy Page !

Please i do not mean to say that they arenot great guitarist they are and all of them are my fav. as well, from Slash, Page Clapton as well ALL OTHERS have Great Compositions but i feel they are given much more credit then they deserved, and that's what Overrated means isn't it ?
Quote by ClassicFloyder
1) Van Halen
2) Jeff Beck
3) Eric Clapton
4) Slash
5) Dave Mustaine
6) Jimmy Hendrix
7) Pete Townshend
8) Ritchie Blackmore
9) Kirk Hammett
10) Jimmy Page !

Please i do not mean to say that they arenot great guitarist they are and all of them are my fav. as well, from Slash, Page Clapton as well ALL OTHERS have Great Compositions but i feel they are given much more credit then they deserved, and that's what Overrated means isn't it ?

I hope they use comic sans on your grave.
Vai, Satriani, Petrucci. Very technically gifted guitarists, but most of their music and their style has little appeal to me.

Guys like Vai and Satriani can do all these amazing tricks on the guitar and you'd want them to be your guitar teacher for their great technique, but you won't hear them much on the radio because most of their music just isn't very good. The problem I have with a lot of prog-rock guitarists like the above, Malmsteen etc. is that they spend all their time trying to look good and sound perfect but they can hardly write a song worth s**t. A lot of musical masturbation if you ask me. A guy like Tony Iommi has far inferior technical skills compared to these guys but the creativity he has achieved with his moderate skills runs circles around these prog guys.
I love this forum but this thread sucks. These guys are overrated?

The Edge is overrated? Joshua Tree entire album is mostly 3 chord simple songs, and yet its brilliant and soulfull and simple melodies that intertwine with great lyrics. If its so simple and overrated why not just go do the same? I mean 25 million copies is a nice job.

Hendrix? Really? yes, Im a fan. Im also the first to admit that a ton of his stuff is total slop and his iconic classic songs like Purple Haze are my least favorite but overrated?

Here's my take. There isnt a single guitarist listed in this thread thats overrated. Hey... what do I know? Ive only been playing about 4 years and I didnt start until I was 35. But I have learned that so much of the brilliance in music is the composition and ability to reach people.

Funny.. people have mentioned Slash, Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen... nobody has hated on the Beatles. Lets hear why those guys were overrated too. Silly talk!
he of tranquil mind
Steve Vai overrated? I don't think much people can even comprehend his skill. Jeff Beck overrated? Wtf.
One word: Slash, now that's an pathetically overrated guitarist..
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Steve Vai overrated? I don't think much people can even comprehend his skill.

Skill doesn't always compute to the ability to make great music.
Quote by Barricade_28

Yep. I think far too many people measure "skill" in "number of notes per second."
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Quote by fishmike
But I have learned that so much of the brilliance in music is the composition and ability to reach people.

That's exactly why I prefer listening to Jimmie Vaughan over his brother any day. SRV is the better player, but he bores me to death. Jimmie is by far the better musician. Of course there are people who think I should be shot for saying that....
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Quote by Barricade_28

Skill doesn't always compute to the ability to understand great music as well...
Quote by Barricade_28
Vai, Satriani, Petrucci. Very technically gifted guitarists, but most of their music and their style has little appeal to me.

Guys like Vai and Satriani can do all these amazing tricks on the guitar and you'd want them to be your guitar teacher for their great technique, but you won't hear them much on the radio because most of their music just isn't very good. The problem I have with a lot of prog-rock guitarists like the above, Malmsteen etc. is that they spend all their time trying to look good and sound perfect but they can hardly write a song worth s**t. A lot of musical masturbation if you ask me. A guy like Tony Iommi has far inferior technical skills compared to these guys but the creativity he has achieved with his moderate skills runs circles around these prog guys.
I dunno... I quite like some of Petrucci's work with DT. Hasn't DT had some radio success anyway?

EDIT: That said, I completely see where your coming from.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Feb 24, 2013,
Michael Schenker. Apart from the odd song over the decades and the Scorpions' debut, he has played the same, morbidly dull songs in my opinion.
Quote by Dæmönika
Michael Schenker. Apart from the odd song over the decades and the Scorpions' debut, he has played the same, morbidly dull songs in my opinion.

Ditto. Some cool songs, but agree on the repetitiveness
all of them, guitar is shit.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Dynamight
Kirk Hammett.

Dave Mustaine is ten times better. Metallica would have been infamous and number one ever, if they had Mustaine as guitarist and writing their songs....however this would only happen if Mustain also sang instead of that other dude.
When I first read the thing the first named that popped in my head:

SLASH

Unless you grew up as a teen in the late 80s, I don't see why Slash is rated so high, in the likes of Chucky Berry, Richards, Page etc. Slash is a definite top 10 overrated.
I think Slash takes the cake. Although I do admit 80's Slash I wouldn't be as harsh on, Appetite for Destruction is an amazing album, which is why I want to nominate someone else:

My Real Nomination:
To be fair to 80's Slash, I am going to make my main pick, Zakk Wylde. All the major Ozzy songs were not written with Zakk, nor were any Black Sabbath songs that they played on tour. Zakk really has no one album he made that stands out that makes you put him in a top list, his best consensual song is "In This River". I think he can play guitar great but so can hundreds of "top guitarists"! I don't think that makes up for mediocre song writing and singing. Definite top 5 overrated.

Who I am going to defend:
I know Angus isn't the greatest or most original guitarist, but he sure damn can rock and does have one of the highest selling records of all time which would explain the consensus of his greatness. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Eagles are the other rockers who have a +20x platinum album in USA, and Back In Black also happens to be considered the #1 album in the world next to Thriller and Dark Side of the Moon. So I think you can't call Angus over-rated, cause that is the same as calling Michael Jackson or David Gilmour overrated.

Who I won't Defend:
Jimi Hendrix. I think what he did, and how he did it was amazing. But everyone has him at #1 greatest guitar player of all time. So I think he is highly overrated and probably one of the most overrated guitarist of all time. People want to say he is the best guitarist, but they don't want to listen to his music(or never have).
For never having any top album or song, he has risen above the best bands in the world! He made three albums only one had a top #1 song, but was never super successful. I want to say Randy Rhoades 3 albums are better than Jimi's 3 albums. And we haven't even gotten to Cream, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Allman Brothers, etc...Just because your revolutionary doesn't mean you were the greatest guitarist ever. I would put Randy over Jimi any day of the week on a top guitarist list.

Dis-Honorable Mentions:

Tom Morello
Kirk Hammett
James Hetfield
Sounds like you need to listen to more Hendrix.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Ive listened to Hendrix, and have spent a lot longer time with his music than others(same with any other 50s and 60s music, I grew up on this music).

I think he is amazing, but being #1 of all time is an crazy accomplishment, I just don't think we should automatically give it to anyone, even if they invented the guitar like Les Paul. I am not saying he isn't a top player, I am just thinking he could be over-rated. Honestly anyone rated #1 should automatically be in category for being over-rated, cause you had to downplay others to put them there, cause about 10-20 guys should be #1.

Jimi did have successful albums and songs, but not as successful as many of the other contenders, there are also as many more influential players as jimi and he wasn't the first, and also there are many more amazing songs that would beat his songs in a top list, not to mention a top album list.

I think the biggest factor for Hendrix and why he is automatically #1 is because of his pioneering, which is what he is known for, which is his influence on guitar.

Which is the one reason I wouldn't put him on a list of overrated, but I would not defend him if he were on one, cause I understand why he would be on one because he is always on the top #1 of all lists.
Last edited by RyanStorm13 at Mar 3, 2013,
Clapton seems like a nice guy, but I've always thought he was overrated. I mean, the nickname "Slow Hand" sounds like a guy picked dead last for every game ever played at recess. (kidding)

I think Mick Jones and Joe Strummer from The Clash are underrated. Their chunky arrangements are really powerful.

(BTW, my nomination for worst guitar solo in rock history is the opening solo on The Byrds' "Eight Miles High.")
really? I love the 8 Miles High solo, it's really interesting compared to the standard guitar solo of that era

Sumdeus
Quote by Dæmönika

i dont normally get envolved in these debates as i cant really play, but ive got to agree here Schenker is CACK - when he Gigged with MSG he couldnt even stand up on stage kept dropping to his knees, could barely hold his guitar and in the end got booo'd off stage.
what part of ride hard dont you understand.
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive
Orange CR15
Pacifica 112XJ
Ahhh no. Jimi Hendrix is an amazing guitarist. So is Kurt Cobain. If you think that they are overrated and angus young isn't. You are extremely crazy, listen to 10 AC-DC songs only 1 sounds different then the rest. Also He Edge is so over rated
how exactly is kurt cobain 'an amazing guitarist'?

Sumdeus