Page 5 of 7
How isn't he. His style, his sound, his aspect of playing, his attitude for music. This has nothing to do with it but he taught Dave Grohl how to play. He founded the Foo Fighters. Who are the best rock group still releasing albums today.
Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck, John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa, and many more.
My only debate against Jimi is the fact that he gets more credit for 60's UK Rock, than 60's UK Rock.

I mean he was up there, but were talking two super groups in Beatles and Cream, and we barely threaded the surface.

I only stand up for Angus cause if you go based off Albums sales alone, then Angus is on top of everyone except Michael Jackson. I personally like to base them off their best song, and if you take ACDC best song and put against who evers best song then were getting closer to an easier way to judge this.

Its impossible to say who the overall most over-rated person is, unless we choose what to base the person or band off of.
However upon my personal opinion, Jimi was probably a way better player than Lennon and Clapton, and after re-going over my favorite musicians favote musicians, its hard to say if we would even have if we didn't have key guitarists(Berry, Jimi, Ace, and Page). He didn't have as big as success as a band, but still put out big hits, but I think these guitarists should be off-limits.

A Day in the Life vs All Along the Watchtower vs Whiteroom = I pick Jimi

Seriously though, I think everyone is awesome, its impossible to call this one. So I will stick to Zakk Wylde as my pick, and want to forego any negative things about Jimi, cause he is like Day Lewis, you just automatically got to give him the Oscar, cause he is Jimi...
i used to think Jimi was really overrated too for pretty much the same reasons anyone in here lists but i've been seriously studying his playing for the past year and the more i understand it and the more i hear all the different things he did the more I'm convinced he was the best guitarist ever. At the least, I think if his life was not cut short he would have proved that he was truly the best, he was starting to experiment more with jazz stuff towards the very end and I also think he would've really gotten into progressive rock when it really came about, he was already quoted to have said King Crimson was the best live band he'd ever seen...
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
What I notice the most is, you hear his music and your like I have seen guys do the same thing and probably better(like Page and Beck). Then you begin to find who or what did stuff first, and its hard to map every album or band, cause these guys knew each other and were around during phases. But Jimi any post 60's musicians were influence by Jimi whether they know it or not.

My main time lineartists who influence the next generation after them):

Robert Johnson > Les Paul > Buddy Holly > Chuck Berry > Jimi Hendrix > Ace Frehley/Jimmy Page > Van Halen > ???

I grew up as teen in late 90's early 00's, my personal music influence timeline:

Skinny Puppy > Marilyn Manson > NIN > Rammstein > Slipknot > Ohgr > (to many genres to even bother listing, but the ones I posted are just bands who you listened to when I was younger and if you played music).
Quote by RyanStorm13
I want to say Randy Rhoades 3 albums are better

I'd just like to point out something real quick, ignoring your minor misspelling of Randy's last name(Rhoads)

What "3" albums are you referring to? He only had 2 with Ozzy(Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman). If you're intending to include his Quiet Riot work, he also had 2 albums with them(Quiet Riot I & II). Either way, he either did 2 or 4 albums regardless of how you look at it, not 3.

However, although I am a die-hard Rhoads fan and refer to him as the inspiration for me learning how to play guitar in the first place, I have to say that his playing with Quiet Riot wasn't all that great. He was still young and developing his talents.

Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Overrated I'm sayin Steve Vai, I like guitarists who I can actually listen too. Say for instance driving to work or something like that. I couldn't listen to technical shit all the time. People who listen to that shit remind me of the Video Game programmer guy on Grandmas Boy. It ain't natural man.
Kieth Richards is a not bad rhythm player, but his leads are not good; I'd take Mick Taylor in my band over him any day.
Quote by abronzo
How isn't he. His style, his sound, his aspect of playing, his attitude for music. This has nothing to do with it but he taught Dave Grohl how to play. He founded the Foo Fighters. Who are the best rock group still releasing albums today.

lol?
The only one I can think of is Kerry King, his leads only consist of utterly terrible shredding noise and tremolo bar abuse. Besides that, I reject the term "overrated" because I believe most guitarists are good in their own way, and because it has become an outlet for ignorance by people with inferiority complex and hipsters, such as most people in this thread.
I'd say Clapton and Slash, Slash is my favourite guitarist and the reason i play but he is very overated, plays with a lot of feel but is not a top 10 great as a lot of people think, top 100? yes.
Quote by Dynamight
Also, Jimi Hendrix.

Are you kidding me? He is the best guitarist who ever lived, every guitarist copied him.

You have alot to learn lol.
Quote by romencer17
i used to think Jimi was really overrated too for pretty much the same reasons anyone in here lists but i've been seriously studying his playing for the past year and the more i understand it and the more i hear all the different things he did the more I'm convinced he was the best guitarist ever. At the least, I think if his life was not cut short he would have proved that he was truly the best, he was starting to experiment more with jazz stuff towards the very end and I also think he would've really gotten into progressive rock when it really came about, he was already quoted to have said King Crimson was the best live band he'd ever seen...

This is like me. When I was new to guitar I never really appreciated Jimmi Hendrix the way I do now.

All the people who are saying Jimmi Hendrix is overrated simply don't know enough about guitar
Quote by abronzo
Subjective... and I completely disagree with that last statement.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by srvstrat
All the people who are saying Jimmi Hendrix is overrated simply don't know enough about guitar

No.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Angus young is only over-rated in terms of soloing and stuff. AC/DC still had the best riffs and classic sounding rock music. Stevie Ray vaughn is over-rated, his solos all sound similar much to how Kirk Hammet kills wah wah pedals. He was talented and maybe a God to those who listenend and lived in that era, but to the modern guitar player, we value them substantially less. Jimi Hendrix is in the same light. Some people say he created and new genre and sound but Jimmy Page and Eric Claption , I think are still more "special" or talented than him. The legacy they left are more evident, like here in South Africa, every rock lover and beginner guitarist still worships Led Zepplin and Page"s solos and riffs. They sound better as well. Dont get me wrong, all these guitarists are excellent but the hype that surronds them and the 'titles they earn (especially posthumously) makes them a bit over-rated.
Slash... I think gnr would be top on my over-rated bands too. And I would also say Kirk Hammett
I'm not too sure how you measure over-rated. I guarantee if there was a post of best guitarists of all time, most of the names already mentioned in this thread would prob be on it.

I actually can't think of one over-rated guitarist.

Gona stick my neck out here and defend angus young. Maybe his solos are 90% minor pentatonic, but the feel and dynamics as already mentioned is fantastic, and you'd be doing well to master his vibrato bends.
Overated

Kirk Hammet - Because he's shite
Kerry King - Because he's even more shit.

I can't see how Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen can be seen as "overated", they are rated so highly because

1. Both were genuinely gifted beyond belief and both not only influenced many generations of players and music but both also completely changed what it meant to be a rock guitarist, all of the famous guitarists of today, well Eddie was their hero.

2. When you look at the past of rock guitarists, it's hard to see anyone who deserves being rated so highly as Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Keith Richards was a hell of a guitar player in his day and hardly recieves the recogonition he deserves so i dont think hes over-rated. Also i understand why people would say the edge, who is not over-rated. The majority of guitarists i know actually frown upon him and u2. If anything i would say he is under rated. And im not even really fan. But joshua tree is such an amazingly well thought of album

my pick: frusciante
even though i am the biggest fan boy of all time
Last edited by fortytew at Apr 22, 2013,
Quote by sethkins
Angus young, Kurt cobain

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Quote by wench38
Zakk Wylde and Slash.... Perhaps it's just me being sick of seeing them constantly ( along with all the crap they crank out with their name on it)

Zakk Wylde overrated? Have you checked the No More Tears solo? It's a MASTERPIECE. Have you heard his Book of Shadows album? He's not only fast but he's also a great and fast guitarist. And he can sing too! I agree most of Black Label Society's stuff sucks, but, the guy can shred, check out In This River
Right, I was just surfing on internet, looking for these type of threads and I started to facepalm and I had to create forum acc on UG.

First of all, Kurt Cobain wasn't praised as guitarist nor he said that he was actual guitarist. Whoever placed him under term "overrated guitarist" lacks English lesson.
Quote by Sirkostik
Right, I was just surfing on internet, looking for these type of threads and I started to facepalm and I had to create forum acc on UG.

First of all, Kurt Cobain wasn't praised as guitarist nor he said that he was actual guitarist. Whoever placed him under term "overrated guitarist" lacks English lesson.

...You really shouldn't be criticizing people's grasp of the English language.
Nuno Bettencourt.

I'm probably biased because anything that I could play as a 13 year old with 3 months of experience on the guitar, in retrospect, probably wasn't that great.

At the time though, I thought he was pretty neat.
Hmm...

When people use "He inspired every guitarist after him!" as justification for saying _____ is best, here is what I have to say. I might be the first person to play a guitar with 16 strings, and a backwards facing fretboard, but if everyone starts playing one, does that still make me the best 16 stringed backward fretboard guitarist ever? Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb, but would you want his original lightbulbs lighting up your house, or non-toxic, energy efficient, modern lightbulbs? Henry Ford was the first to mass produce cars, but would you rather have the loud, smelly, slow, ugly, and unreliable cars of old, or a new BMW M5 to drive to work in? People can improve an old design, but that doesn't make the original better than the improved product, it just isn't logical. Hendrix may have been the first to play guitar in the way we know it today, but is he really the best? Crappy live performances, playing with teeth/tongue/behind back, and minutes of muted string strumming or trills do not make the greatest guitarist of all time. IMO Jimmy Page is greatest, he is a very skilled musician, he has consistent playing live and in the studio, and if inspiration really matters to you, he has inspired me a lot more than Hendrix has.

Overrated - Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Kurt Cobain, Kirk Hammett, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton

Underrated - Dimebag Darrell, Richie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, James Hetfield, Marty Friedman, George Harrison, Warren Haynes, Tony Iommi, Dave Murray
\m/ (-_-) \m/
Quote by DRMguitar
Hmm...

When people use "He inspired every guitarist after him!" as justification for saying _____ is best, here is what I have to say. I might be the first person to play a guitar with 16 strings, and a backwards facing fretboard, but if everyone starts playing one, does that still make me the best 16 stringed backward fretboard guitarist ever? Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb, but would you want his original lightbulbs lighting up your house, or non-toxic, energy efficient, modern lightbulbs? Henry Ford was the first to mass produce cars, but would you rather have the loud, smelly, slow, ugly, and unreliable cars of old, or a new BMW M5 to drive to work in? People can improve an old design, but that doesn't make the original better than the improved product, it just isn't logical. Hendrix may have been the first to play guitar in the way we know it today, but is he really the best? Crappy live performances, playing with teeth/tongue/behind back, and minutes of muted string strumming or trills do not make the greatest guitarist of all time. IMO Jimmy Page is greatest, he is a very skilled musician, he has consistent playing live and in the studio, and if inspiration really matters to you, he has inspired me a lot more than Hendrix has.

You know, I keep popping back in to this thread every now and then just to see what idiocy has been running rampant over such a stupid idea, and then I see this. This is probably the first reasonably intelligent rebuttal to a general statement that I have seen in quite a while.

Touche', sir. I applaud you for catching me totally off guard.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by DRMguitar
Okay....

1) Yes, people can adapt stuff but it is stupid to think that something that is simply following a trend or trying to adapt an already established idea gets more credit than the creator. To use the example you gave, correct, a 16 string guitar would not make you immediately the greatest at it, but that is a subjective discussion. What is NOT subjective about it though is that you would still the most recognition because none of the subsequent versions would exist with YOUR idea. Sure, those examples you gave about the lightbulb and cars is a valid point, except you are missing one crucial detail. EVERY SINGLE LIGHTBULB SINCE THE FIRST ONE WOULD CEASE TO EXIST WITHOUT THAT FIRST ONE.

It is truly sad that it has to be pointed out but, like with every single other aspect of life, common sense dictates that the FIRST step is ALWAYS the MOST important.

2) Hendrix was NOT the first guitarist to do what he was doing live, he just was famous for it. In those days, not everyone could upload a high definition home video of them playing and water down the potential ideas. Many people were experimenting with cutting edge ideas, but Hendrix got a break a lot of others did not. However I do agree that he was incredibly sloppy when live.

3) What's sad is that you state this and then turn around and contradict yourself by claiming the most sloppy live guitarist was consistent when live. I've heard more consistent live playing from a ten year old learning twinkle twinkle little star than Page live. Gimme a break.

4) Influence is a powerful thing and there are two different kinds ... Always. The first kind is the established famous players whose name is known everywhere. It's not so much that they are great but their name is soooo engraved into culture that it becomes almost illegal to not mention them.

5) The second kind of influence is the more obscure ones. The people who never became as famous but were known enough amongst fellow musicians that their ideas were "borrowed".

You claim EVH is overrated, which is fine, but you cannot deny his influence. Funny enough, nothing EVH did in the beginning was his own idea. He admitted that he got his techniques and ideas from watching a band play in a Canada pub. He went on to admit that if he had not seen the band play, he would have never learned to shred the way the guitarist was that night. Thus, everyone EVH has influenced is mostly unaware they are actually influenced by someone else. Same goes for Dave Murray
Quote by Sirkostik

He's considered overrated because of Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarist List David Fricke's Pick. Check number 12, that's where Kurt was placed.
Vintage is over priced old guitars. I like new stuff. Not a dead guys shoes or his guitar.