Currently running an MIM Strat through a Fender Blues Jr and I need a jack-of-all-trades pedal for home use. How would the G5 hold up with my amp and are there any pitfalls to consider?
Just for effects, the amp sim isn't really in my interests. Though information on how to integrate that feature would be useful also =)
The only pitfall I guess would be the effects might not be top of the line. I've never really cared for the effects packaged in multi-effects pedals. It's a good library of sounds, but I'd rather use the money for a few really good pedals over a bunch of stuff I'll never need. xD

Just my personal opinion though.

But I mean, I'm sure it'd work alright with your amp.
Does your amp have distortion you use?
If it does, then does it have an effects loop?
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 15, 2012,
i feel the same. even thier lower end stuff impressed me in terms of sound for the money so im sure the higher end stuff is better.

one of the issues i had with the lower stuff is the switching was not fast/fluid with only 1-2 buttons. the big ones fix that though.

i just have having everything in 1 big electronic piece (if it breaks your done, opposed to 1 pedal breaking).

i also prefer some analog sounds etc than to overly processed digital stuff. cheaper units can sound that way sometimes.

lack of tweakability...sure you have tones of settings - from one company. did anybody ever think that all companies do if different? its like in "Meet The Parents" - "do you have a really nice bottle of chamapgne?" "Nah, but you can buy a whole lotta mums..."

but really though my interaction with zoom was fairly positive. lots of bang for the buck there. I will always be a regular pedal user though.
IMO, if you just want effects then the Line 6 M series is the way to go (M5, M9, or M13). Hello Music has M9's for sale for $314 right now. (Just as a disclaimer, I just about always reccomend the M series, and I've personally never been blown away by Zoom).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Go with a Digitech RP-70. They're only around 70 bucks or so. I have one and I use it with my Strats through a Peavey Transtube Bandit 112. They're much more versatile than the Zoom and not as sterile sounding.
Quote by jeffo46
Go with a Digitech RP-70. They're only around 70 bucks or so. ... They're much more versatile than the Zoom and not as sterile sounding.
I'm a user of both the RP and Zoom G3. I could not disagree more.
Quote by TinySalmon64
Currently running an MIM Strat through a Fender Blues Jr and I need a jack-of-all-trades pedal for home use. How would the G5 hold up with my amp and are there any pitfalls to consider?
The biggest pitfall is that it's a new release and you won't know about reliability until you use it. I have the G3 and it's a great unit. I wouldn't hesitate about buying the G5 if I was looking. But you should look at the feature set to see if it fits your needs.
I have a G3 and I'd say the pitfall is the amp modeling. I think it sounds kind of cheesy. The great things about the pedal is the effects sound amazing, especially for the price, and its very easy to use. Since you don't need the amp modeling I'd say its right up your alley.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
i wouldn't listen to the guy that suggested the Digitech RP. I had a Zoom G2 that I used with a Peavey Bandit 112 as well and it got really solid hard rock, metal tones. The RP sounded...cheap to me. especially the distortions. The RP is a bit more complex too. Took longer to edit patches the way that I wanted them. If you're wanting the G5, it will probably last you a really long time. I've never had a problem with mine. I still take it to jam sessions where I don't want to take my amp or even my Vypyr with me and there's an extra amp available. though I am also a fan of the Line 6 HD Pods....not sure which one I would go with if I was looking for a multi effect pedal.
Quote by its_minchew
i wouldn't listen to the guy that suggested the Digitech RP. I had a Zoom G2 that I used with a Peavey Bandit 112 as well and it got really solid hard rock, metal tones. The RP sounded...cheap to me. especially the distortions. The RP is a bit more complex too. Took longer to edit patches the way that I wanted them. If you're wanting the G5, it will probably last you a really long time. I've never had a problem with mine. I still take it to jam sessions where I don't want to take my amp or even my Vypyr with me and there's an extra amp available. though I am also a fan of the Line 6 HD Pods....not sure which one I would go with if I was looking for a multi effect pedal.
Are you from the future?

BTW, the RP series has been around for a long time. You can't judge an RP by saying you used to have an RP.
Lol no, not from the future, but everything I've used by zoom has seemed really solid. Though i will admit I haven't used any of the RP 500 series or up. Might sounds miles better than the 250 i used.