I'm looking for a guitar that can withstand a-drop tuning well, I'm not planning on getting any lower than that. I don't want a baritone guitar or a seven string, any model recommendations?
Quote by withoutusername
I'm looking for a guitar that can withstand a-drop tuning well, I'm not planning on getting any lower than that. I don't want a baritone guitar or a seven string, any model recommendations?

Well that throws things out of proportion.

I believe the Mick Thomson signature is factory tuned to drop B. Of course, if you're like 90% of UGers and hate Slipknot, then good luck with your search.
Can't go wrong with an ESP my friend. May I suggest a nice M series or possibly a Horizon? Not my kind of headstock, but I find anything with a locking bridge (usually floyd rose) works quite well with drop tunings...if you want to spend the time to tune them that is.
Them new-fangled Ibanez thingymabbobs, they make em extra long for all the heavy-mettaling folks who like thier guitars to go down looow.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11071415045331

Dont think theyre considered 'baritone' though, just slightly longer scale length.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 18, 2012,
What do you have against baritones?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Uhhh... any guitar with heavy gauge strings will do the trick then, really. Might have to file the nut depending on the guitar, granted.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by Nico the Great
Uhhh... any guitar with heavy gauge strings will do the trick then, really. Might have to file the nut depending on the guitar, granted.

Pretty much this. I've heard everything from teles to baritones tuned to some quite low tunings and they've all held up pretty well with decent pickups and a decent amp EQ'd well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You want a guitar for drop tunings, yet don't want a baritone, or to use a 7-string. It means you don't want a guitar to tune low with bro. Just buy thicker strings.
Your favourite guitar + Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies. Thank me later.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I've had several bad experiences with standard guitars in low tunings. It just doesn't work well. A baritone is the way to go if you want lows without added neck width. I read the OP I just can't recommend anything but a baritone or a 7.
Caparison has some guitars made for heavy gauge strings and downtuning, all on a 24.75" neck.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I use a Dean TC Cadillac for New Standard Tuning with no special tricks besides using heavier strings, but that is CGDAEG. I don't know that it would handle a low A too well.

I could be wrong, though- Wayne Static often tunes down to A, and his equipment has included a Dean "Modifier" ML...and a ESP Wayne Static Signature ESP STATIC-600 EX and V.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What is this I don't even...

Extended scales aside, guitars aren't "good" or "bad" for any certain tuning... just use string gauge appropriately to get a balanced amount of tension... this is not rocket science, it's basic physics. Strings add tension. Detuning removes tension. Therefore get thicker strings to restore tension.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What you really need is a new amp.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by Offworld92
What is this I don't even...

Extended scales aside, guitars aren't "good" or "bad" for any certain tuning... just use string gauge appropriately to get a balanced amount of tension... this is not rocket science, it's basic physics. Strings add tension. Detuning removes tension. Therefore get thicker strings to restore tension.

yup.

my cousin uses a prs 25th anniversary mcarthy in Drop B....it has mini humbuckers.....its sounds amazing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Just buy heavier strings. It's rather simple.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.