Page 2 of 11
Quote by R45VT

Also EspTro added a 3rd brake light to his. I can't remember how he hooked it up, most likely he ran a 12v dc power supply.

i just have one of those reversable 18v mod wire harnesses used for emg's soldered to the wire of the brake light. using just a 9v wasnt bright enough

as for mounting the damn thing on there, the mesh back on the model i have came in handy in accordance with the zip ties i had lying around :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It's the old one with the blue tolex, but not the one with the rectangle around the logo, just the plain logo.
YOU LIE... AND YO BREATH STANK!

Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Jack White's evil Mexican brother? Juan Negro?

Quote by AmirT
I puke on my dick while I fart in president Rosevelt's ear

POT IS NICE
Combo or head?

Here is a picture for the stock back lighting:

Just a regular picture from the front:
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 12, 2012,
It's the old head, before the change in look
YOU LIE... AND YO BREATH STANK!

Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Jack White's evil Mexican brother? Juan Negro?

Quote by AmirT
I puke on my dick while I fart in president Rosevelt's ear

POT IS NICE
Hey, I want to do a full retube of my BV120 in the next month or so, and I was wondering what you guys think is the best tube arrangement/set. Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=81&sub_category_id=87

i like jj's because they combat the brightness of the blue voodoo line and take it down a notch
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
+1 i got a full retube with JJ's and i couldnt be happier.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
What would you guys say is a good price for a Blue Voodoo stack?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I wouldn't Pay more than 250 for a head.

Depends on the cab. I see half stacks in LA for 500 all day long. Personally I wouldn't pay that much unless the cab had v30s.
Did the cabs come with V30s?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by R45VT
I wouldn't Pay more than 250 for a head.

Depends on the cab. I see half stacks in LA for 500 all day long. Personally I wouldn't pay that much unless the cab had v30s.

i paid $225 for my blue voodoo, but it is in more of a 'used' condition, minor tolex marks here and there, etc.

the blue voodoo cabs were V30, but if you get one, pop a handle off and look with a flashlight to confirm the speakers, or pull the back off to verify.

they are one of the better 'cheap' cabs with V30's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Good point trashed. Must check for correct speakers.

Also price depends where you live as well. Price is higher in non major metro areas.
There i one on CL now for like 675, see if I can get him down to 500, seeing as he's had trouble selling it. Will check for proper speakers first/
Quote by barden1069
Anything more then 550 just walk away. I'm not sure what part of the country you live in. 675 seems high. I could see 600 for both if tubes are new and it's in perfect shape.
Quote by R45VT
Anything more then 550 just walk away. I'm not sure what part of the country you live in. 675 seems high. I could see 600 for both if tubes are new and it's in perfect shape.

Thats the plan. Bring him down to 500, if he says no, walk away. Chances are he'll fold as it's been up for 2 months
Quote by barden1069
i might pay that price for the bv300 but not the bv120h. i paid 325 for my 120h and it was in near perfect condition.

also i thought only the "blue" blue voodoo cabs were loaded with v30's. i believe that the black ones had the junk crate speakers in them
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Anyone try any Ruby tubes? How are they? Is there a difference between a 6L6GC and a 6L6GCM-STR? Someone on craigslist is selling 5 Ruby 12AX7A and 2 matched 6L6GCM-STR for $50, and I'm tempted to call him about them.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
6l6gc and 6l6 gcmstr's are the same. the ruby power tubes sound pretty good. i had them in my bv with jj's in the preamp twas beastly. i would go to dougstubes and just get a matched quad of the rubys and call it a day.

http://www.dougstubes.com/ruby-6l6-gcmstr.html
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

i have never cared for ruby's power tubes. i dont know why. it seems like i just end up going JJ with any high gain powertube regarless what amp it is.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The JJs help offset the brightness of the BVs. Rubys are ok, however with these amps JJs really are the best.

Doug's tubes or euro tubes
Alright, thanks. I'll hold off and get a matched set from Eurotubes then.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Hey, LOVE the BV thread. I know I'm posting almost a month late here in regards to the tubes but a buddy of mine has a 120 and we talk shop all the time. I asked him what kind of tubes he uses and he said he uses Mesa Boogie tubes. http://www.amazon.com/Mesa-Boogie-Tubes-Matched-Pair/dp/B005IX6MCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346852263&sr=8-1&keywords=mesa+boogie+tubes. I have never tried it before but his sounds pretty damn good. Currently, I use JJ's and love them but I may try this next time I need tubes.
Last edited by bmr4933 at Sep 5, 2012,
Do you happen to know what pot I need to replace the gain pot on channel 3 and the 5 way switch on channel 2
No. I don't have that component list. I would all crate and see if they can either order for you or send you the parts list.

Another thought and sure fire way is to pull it apart as get the numbers directly off the component. Not sure if the switch will have a number stamped on it or not it's worth looking.

They have great customer service from the times I have felt with them, however I already have the part numbers.

Awesome thread Gents! Just picked this up last weekend. It was pretty neglected but overall in decent shape.

Gonna order new tubes as they are all stock and this thing starts making some strange noises after its good and warm.

The reverb has a broken suspension spring. I really wish I could just buy the springs and keep the original reverb unit. Its a Belton/Accutronics 8BB2A1B
with the current resale value of the blue voodoo amps its not gonna hurt its value much (if at all) if you just replace the whole tank. not saying you looking to flip it immediately but it is what it is.

what kind of noises is it making?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Get some JJs as they really tame the highs in the amp.

Bummer about the reverb tank. Did you check Ebay yet for a replacement? You can get some cheap ones on there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The noise is hard to explain... its a faint random static. It comes and goes on both channels.

JJs it will be then...

As for the reverb I'm going to measure the spring and see if i can find an equivalent.
im confused as to why the 150 model didnt come with reverb....seeing as it was the top model (if u go by wattage anyway)
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
So would the BV-120h be a good budget head an just replacing the tubes for a new tube user?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Definitely. I dont own one personally, but I have played quite a few and if you want a metal or hard rock sound for cheap they are hard to beat
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Definitely. I dont own one personally, but I have played quite a few and if you want a metal or hard rock sound for cheap they are hard to beat

Sweet. Cause there is one for sale for $200 near me and I was thinking about getting it.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
grab it up throw some jj's in it and bring forth the rock!
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Well I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure what jj tube's to get for it.

If it helps I play stuff like All Shall Perish, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red etc. Then sometime's I like to take a step in the Satriani area when I'm not in a medal mood.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Here is a link to Eurotubes website with the re-tube kit for a BV.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=81&sub_category_id=87

My advise would be to get a regular retube kit and not that high gain BS.

It will need to be biased.

Crate Red or Blue Voodoo120 Standard Retube Kit with 6L6GC's
Price: $117.00
Description: A full retube with a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's for a warm full tone along with three standard ECC83S's for V1, V2 and V3 with one balanced for the phase inverter in V4.

Keep in mind the presence control has a HUGE impact on this amp. It needs to be below noon.

It's a fairly bright amp and the JJ's really help shape the tone a little darker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 1, 2012,
Quote by R45VT
Here is a link to Eurotubes website with the re-tube kit for a BV.

My advise would be to get a regular retube kit and not that high gain BS.

It will need to be biased.

Crate Red or Blue Voodoo120 Standard Retube Kit with 6L6GC's
Price: $117.00
Description: A full retube with a matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's for a warm full tone along with three standard ECC83S's for V1, V2 and V3 with one balanced for the phase inverter in V4.

Keep in mind the presence control has a HUGE impact on this amp. It needs to be below noon.

It's a fairly bright amp and the JJ's really help shape the tone a little darker.

Thanks for the info man. Now just got to see when I can go pick it up.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Austin174
Well I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure what jj tube's to get for it.

If it helps I play stuff like All Shall Perish, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red etc. Then sometime's I like to take a step in the Satriani area when I'm not in a medal mood.

Just some food for thought- you may want to get a used 6505/+ combo instead. I think most of the bands you listed use that amp. It would get you closer with no mods.

Might be better to save a little more money in this case.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 1, 2012,