Page 1 of 3
Theehero
215 IQ
People often talk about the most influential, best, or most unique guitarists, and the same, classic names always come up (Clapton, Jimi, SRV, ETC.). So, who are your favorite guitarists who appeared in the last decade or so? Just curious
mrsixstrings12
551 IQ
Petrucci, Satriani, Vai, Paul Gilbert, Mark Tremonti, Buckethead, etc.
Guitar Rig:
Custom Guitar (w/ Wizard Neck and SD Invader/Jazz Pups)
Schecter C-1 FR
Mesa Mark V

Bass Rig:
Schecter Raiden 5-String
Yorkville Bassmaster
risk182
STOMP
229 IQ
Frusciante is definitely at the top. Others include Graham Coxon, the Strokes guitarists - Valensi and Hammond, Jack White, Dan Auerbach, Johnny Greenwood and Thom Yorke, etc. These are opn the top of my mind, I could probably come up with more, but yeah, love 'em all.
troyofyort
2nd place is da 1st loser
802 IQ
Tosin Abasi, Luke Hoskin, Tim Millar, Matt Heafy, Ron Jarzombek, Thomas Erak and Chris Letchford!
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
swilcox26
217 IQ
Andy McKee
Tim Reynolds
John Mayer
Joe Bonamassa
Dave Knundson
Omar Rodriguez Lopez
Minimallamb
642 IQ
Quote by risk182
Frusciante is definitely at the top. Others include Graham Coxon, the Strokes guitarists - Valensi and Hammond, Jack White, Dan Auerbach, Johnny Greenwood and Thom Yorke, etc. These are opn the top of my mind, I could probably come up with more, but yeah, love 'em all.

+1 playing at 300BPM doens't make you the best guitarist, I think there's a lot more to being a good guitarist and technical ability, and not just becasue i'm bad
Minimallamb
642 IQ
That being said, Tosin Abasi is pretty mesmerizing to watch
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified
135 IQ
Jack White, absolutely, that man's a god.
Paul Gilbert.
Joe Bonamassa anyone?
Frusciante has so much emotion in his playing.
Brian Aubert.
OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ!!!!!
Rogers Stevens.
Dan Auerbach, because he made blues-rock mainstream again.

Umm, that's about all the real guitar music from recent years that I listen to...
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Tough to pick....
In no particular order besides #1:

1. Paul Waggoner - the man's playing is unreal, and his sense of melody, direction, and chord choice is impeccable.
2. Thomas Erak - I'm just getting into The Fall of Troy, but what I've heard does nothing to disabuse myself of the notion that he's an excellent and innovative musician.
3. Paul Ryan - one of the few people doing anything exciting with sweeping in death metal these days.
4. Al di Meola - flawless note choice and technique. I can't think of a jazz guitarist whom I admire more.
5. AJ Minette and Dean Herrera- not particularly innovative, but these two are so stunningly good at both composition and performance that I can't get enough of 'em.
6. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
7. Frederik Thordendal and Marten Hagstrom- Check out the polymetric insanity of Meshuggah and you'll understand.
8. Mikael Akerfeldt - just listen to his playing; it's at times technically chaotic and at others patronizingly simple, but what matters most about him is his ability to create complex and layered pieces of music that sweep the listener on an escapist journey through the entire spectrum of human emotion.
9. Ihsahn - see above
10. Luke Hoskins & Tim Millar - their ability to play off one another's strengths to create a chaotic, genius mess is stunning.
frankv
Her?
1,674 IQ
Quote by Minimallamb
That being said, Tosin Abasi is pretty mesmerizing to watch

Every now and then I decide to watch couple of videos of him playing on YouTube. I then always get insanely jealous of his amazing technical and composition skills try to erase it from my memory again.
roushsn95
21 IQ
Honestly, I can't think of anyone of significance who emerged the last decade except for maybe Derek Trucks. I probably need to start keeping up with the guitar magazines again. And I'm learning from you guys, of course.

If it was pushed back to 1990, I could do better. I don't want to get off topic.
RicPracticeBot
33 IQ
Depends on what you call modern. My personal top 10 would have to include John Frusciante, Jonny Greenwood, Tom Morello, Matt Bellamy and Graham Coxon amongst others.
I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
afatguitarist
182 IQ
John Frusciante, Jack White, Tom Morello, Mark Tremonti, Omar Rodriguez, Derek Trucks, Joe Bonnamasa, Dan Auerbach,
I'M FAT!!!!
DrewMeyer
2,846 IQ
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
Jack White, absolutely, that man's a god.
Paul Gilbert.
Joe Bonamassa anyone?
Frusciante has so much emotion in his playing.
Brian Aubert.
OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ!!!!!
Rogers Stevens.
Dan Auerbach, because he made blues-rock mainstream again.

Umm, that's about all the real guitar music from recent years that I listen to...

Hmm, Brian Aubert is someone not a lot of people bring up in this sort of discussion, but I would most definitely have to agree. Dan Auerbach is on the top of my list, also.
roushsn95
21 IQ
Everyone is naming guitarist that emerged in the 90's, so will I. I'd say thats considered modern anyway.

John Petrucci
Trey Anastasio
Warren Haynes
Jimmy Herring
Shawn Lane
Tom Morello
Jerry Cantrell
John Frusciante
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Adam Jones
Mike McCready

Man, I could go on and on. The 90's produced some fine guitarists and lots of great bands. Like I said, I can't think of anyone significant since 2000 other than Derek Trucks.
suraya130
10 IQ
Personally I like Greenday... even though it's only half rock I think they have some pretty catchy songs even though there is some language
Hungryformore21
And God bless you all
177 IQ
Quote by suraya130
Personally I like Greenday... even though it's only half rock I think they have some pretty catchy songs even though there is some language

lol

I myself am incredibly influenced by Brent Hinds. The guy has a great style and can play incredibly well (fiend with out a face)
saugeyekillah
234 IQ
Alison Robertson (The Donnas)

Seriously...Amazing tone. Great chops overall. Phenomenal rock guitarist. So underrated it's criminal.
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
I can't say I'm a huge fan but I feel like Jack White should be mentioned here.
mustaine42
UG's resident nobody
544 IQ
Tremonti for sure. I'm glad that he even gets some recognition around here.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
omnistyle
21 IQ
Muris Varajic..... definetly one of the most talented guitarists from eastern Europe......

check him out....
Callum feeble
31 IQ
Got to be
matt bellemy
John fruciante
Jack white
Josh Homme
And this might get some hate but Frank Turner
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?
2,486 IQ
If we're talking guitarists that have emerged since the new millennium then I would mention:

Tosin Abasi (Animals as Leaders)
Misha Mansoor (Periphery)
Benjamin Baret & Matt Klavins (Ne Obliviscaris)
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (The Mars Volta)

If we're going back further towards the '90s then I would include:

John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
Paul Masvidal (Cynic)
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Nov 7, 2014,
ledzep98
10 IQ
Quote by DontHaveAMind
Tom Morello, Alex Lifeson, Kirk Hammett.

I totally agree, best guitar players in rock and roll, I would add Jack White.
thesexiestofall
87 IQ
Quote by ledzep98
I totally agree, best guitar players in rock and roll, I would add Jack White.

???Did you read the thread title??? it said Modern Guitarists...they're great,but they've been around since the 80's..???
?...Best modern guitarists...?
Matt Bellamy(..MUSE..)
(Invalid img)
Nick Valensi and Albert Hammond Jr.(..only the best guitar duo ever to exist..)
(Invalid img)
Dan Auberach( ..sick ass tones & songs..)
(Invalid img)
Synester Gates (..modern metal icon..)
(Invalid img)
John Frusciante (..tasty funky ass rock solos..)
(Invalid img)
Jack White (..he's a frakin synth/ fuzz god..)
(Invalid img)
John Mayer (..chicks love him and guitarists seek his tone..)
(Invalid img)
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (mars volta and At-the-drive-in)
(Invalid img)
Thom Yorke and Jonny greenwood(..try learning Paranoid Android..)
(Invalid img)
Andrew Stockdale(..Wolfmother..,it's impossible to sing and play like him..)
(Invalid img)
Last edited by thesexiestofall at Jun 7, 2012,
Ch4ppie
Rock, Metal, Dubstep
268 IQ
I have a hard time finding anybody that I would say....sh!t that's good music. There's people who are good at playing, but hardly stuff I'd listen to and look up to at the same time. Even the bands that I like, aside from a couple, have some pretty basic abilities. They write catchy hooks, and make great music, but if I were an aspiring guitarist, I think the ceiling is kind of low. Especially out of the last decade...which I'd consider modern.

If I had to name some bands, Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold. Those guys got a lot of talent.

90's isn't modern anymore. That's over 12 years ago.
Last edited by Ch4ppie at Jun 8, 2012,
Shred_Guitar_
111 IQ
My top five:

1) Guthrie Govan

gee...this is the next steve vai...no, even better than steve vai...superb technique, smooth groovy phrasing, the most versatile player I've ever heard and he can play many different style, check out his "mimics" if you don't believe me...he can emulate any great guitarist's style, from hendrix to malmsteen back again to knopfler and switch to paul gilbert...and many many others...that's amazing. He's easily one of the best guitar players ever.

2)Marco Sfogli

the italian dude sure knows how to rock! Once again, superb technique, but without losing feeling, he's just like satriani. instrumental guitar oriented rock with a nice sense of melody

3)tom morello

yyep...finally a guitar player with a distinctive sound...it's been a while, because it just seems to me that all the guitarists from the 90's gave up doing experiments and they all sound like clones, but this guy. when you hear him you know who's playing.

4) Joe Bonamassa

Stevie ray vaughan reincarnated

5) John frusciante

an even more funky version of jimi hendrix.
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick
2,756 IQ
I absolutely despise the band he is/was in with a burning passion, but I think when you combine all the charisma, technical virtuosity, creativity, and accessibility, Wes Borland is my favorite modern guitarist. Anyone can pick a shredder up, but when you can play the instrument and bring people to your band- that's something special.
LOL
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
1,233 IQ
Adam Jones
Joe Bonamassa
Tremonti
Mike e from Incubus has a pretty kick ass style I feel
Frush from RHCP
Gary Clark JR. Plays some simple shit, but I havent heard that much soul in a guitar since SRV
The guy from Indigenous. Cant sing well, but can tear up the guitar
Buckethead
The guy from the Black Crowes. Robin Ford? I think hes been around forever though
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you
3,916 IQ
Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai and Chris Broderick!
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Shayne777
Spare Change?
543 IQ
It's a three horse race between Adam Jones, Tom Morello and Josh Homme for me
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ