Dan Auerbach
Matt Bellamy
Josh Homme
John Mayer
Gary Clark Jr.
Thomas Erak (The Fall of Troy)
John Butler
Rivers Cuomo *Flameshield*
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Ryan Phillips (Greek Fire)

Has a great style and awesome band, modern day classic rock check it out. so underrated
There is no best, that's personal taste. Here's some off the top of my head that I think are the most talented.

Petrucci
Vai
Satriani
E. Johnson
Malmsteen
S. Morse
C. Broderick
Abasi
Govan
S. Lane

You may not like their style, or what they write, but any of those guys can play pretty much anything on the guitar. With that in mind, I don't want to sound rude but nothing Radiohead, or of that nature belongs on any "best guitarist" list. Being popular doesn't make you a virtuoso, or in some cases even a good player.
Last edited by griffin888 at Jul 2, 2012,
So far I'd say John Frusciante or Jacck White, Considering they are FREAKIN AMAZING, also they seem to be the ones coming up the most.
Quote by kingbabyduck
Jack White
Tom Morello
Dan Auerbach
Matt Bellamy
Josh Homme
John Mayer
Gary Clark Jr.
Thomas Erak (The Fall of Troy)
John Butler
Rivers Cuomo *Flameshield*

This Top 5 plus Mayer.

Cuomo? Really? I love Weezer but really?

Does Buddy Guy count?
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
There are some great modern guitarists, however I don't prefer all their music. Tom Morello and Jack White are great....but apart from a few songs I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them, or others - for that matter. My favorites are good/great guitarists that play music I prefer:

John Squire (Stone Roses)
Noel Gallagher/Gem Archer (Oasis)
Graham Coxon (Blur)

~
Life on tour in Japan: “Got thrown out of a taxi this morning. At least I think I did. Hard to tell over here. There was shouting and pointing and then the international hand signal for 'Get the f*ck out of my cab, you western dog!'” - Noel Gallagher
Last edited by Bucboy1001 at Jul 11, 2012,
-Tyler Bryant
-John Frusciante
-Sergio Pizzorno
-Jan Paternoster
-Valensi and Hammond from the strokes
-Jack White
-Noel Gallagher
-Matt Bellamy
-Josh Klinghoffer
-Dan Auerbach
Quote by TimeToPretend!
-Tyler Bryant
-John Frusciante
-Sergio Pizzorno
-Jan Paternoster
-Valensi and Hammond from the strokes
-Jack White
-Noel Gallagher
-Matt Bellamy
-Josh Klinghoffer
-Dan Auerbach

I love Serge, not the most technical guitarist, but Kasabian rocks.

~
Life on tour in Japan: “Got thrown out of a taxi this morning. At least I think I did. Hard to tell over here. There was shouting and pointing and then the international hand signal for 'Get the f*ck out of my cab, you western dog!'” - Noel Gallagher
John Mayer!!!!! Jack white, joe bonamassa, and Brad paisley who has some awesome chops on that tele
-John frusciante
-John Petrucci
-Omar Rodriguez Lopez
-Guthrie Govan
-Tosin Abasi
-Adam Jones
-John Mayer
-Thom Yorke
-Gary Clark jr
-Kurt Cobain

Tbh, kind of depressed by how this would compare to a seventies list.
Minecraft is for fatties

-
Last edited by ZanEeTee at Feb 15, 2013,
John Mayer - the dude can shred, watch his live stuff on you tube.

Mike Eizinger - the dude is a magician with effects/pedals/distortions

John Frusciante - again, live performance are incredible

Adam Jones from Tool - nuff said.

Dick Dale- I know he isn't "modern", but I saw him live last night in Annapolis, MD at a tiny little place that hold maybe 200 people. It was AWESOME.

Im sure I will think of more soon
Quote by risk182
Frusciante is definitely at the top. Others include Graham Coxon, the Strokes guitarists - Valensi and Hammond, Jack White, Dan Auerbach, Johnny Greenwood and Thom Yorke, etc. These are opn the top of my mind, I could probably come up with more, but yeah, love 'em all.

Ikr greenwood and yorke are ****ing beasts, some twat was telling me that there music isent den hard to play which is clearly utter shit
Quote by griffin888
There is no best, that's personal taste. Here's some off the top of my head that I think are the most talented.

Petrucci
Vai
Satriani
E. Johnson
Malmsteen
S. Morse
C. Broderick
Abasi
Govan
S. Lane

except malmsteen i fully agree.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Mark Tremonti, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci are my three fav guitarists.
ALTER BRIDGE!!

Gear:
Vox AD100VT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Statocaster
Epiphone EJ200 Acoustic
Crybaby Wah Wah pedal
Delta Lab Tube Overdrive pedal
Boss Distortion pedal
Boss Noise Suppresssor pedal
How modern is modern exactly? A few that come to mind are Daniele Gottardo, Dave Martone, and Shane Gibson. Of course there are plenty of others, but those guys are not as well known as someone like Shawn Lane or Guthrie Govan.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
jim james
Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
Thomas Erak
Luke Hoskin
AJ Minette
Tosin Abasi
Will Vokac
Omar Rodriguez
Josh Homme
Tom Morello
Matt Bellamy
Paul Waggoner
Justin Hawkins - The Darkness, Hot Leg, British Whale.. He is to me, the greatest modern rock era guitarist. Massive chops.. No one does what he does anymore.
its a damn shame how much tosin abasi is on this, when did everything become about speed? what happened to melody? or idk, anything longer then a 32nd note

i don't keep up with most new music coming out, i vastly prefer the virtuosos from the 80s like vai and satriani. but there are 3 of the more popular ones that i have heard that i really like, jack white, that dude from the black keys (i don't know there stuff to well, but i like what i have heard from the dude) and i know i am probably gonna get infinity shit for this but, orianthi is the best young guitarist i know of to come out of the last decade, out of the successful ones anyway, there is a reason she has played with micheal jackson, alice cooper, and steve vai.

there are others like guthrie govan (who i think is one of the best ever, only second to vai) that have come up or are coming up recently, but most of them have 10-20 years on the most of the others so i'm not counting them

now go ahead everyone, shower me with shit for liking orianthi and pointing out that tosin can't write a melody to save his life.
Synyster Gates

jk
I really like brent hinds and bill kelliher for their riffs but what do i know, I have played for all of 2 months.
1. Strap on some overalls
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
4. Take a big fresh breath of air
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
Quote by elisaevedent
What does the lead guitarist of a band do when the rhythm guitarist plays?

He just stands on the stage doing nothing, waiting for his solo, obviously.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Dean DeLeo
Saul Hudson
Jerry Cantrell
Joe Perry
Pat Smear
Kim Thayil

I don't like Joe Satriani. He can play but his tone sucks and he can't compose to save his life. Everything sounds like studio work.
Last edited by devideva at Nov 11, 2012,
Quote by shortylem407
Mark Tremonti, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci are my three fav guitarists.

Wow...really?
Quote by troyofyort
Tosin Abasi, Luke Hoskin, Tim Millar,

I like you
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Apparantly we are allowed to say 90's guitarists so...
1.John Frusciante
2.Tom Morello
3.Jack White
4.John Mayer
5.Derek Trucks
6.Billy Corgan
7.Kenny Wayne Shepard
8.Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
9.Mike Mccready
10.Kim Thayil
We could commit murder, or we could start a religion

-Jim...The Lizard King...
hmm considering from the last decade (2002-2012)
1) charlie parra del riego
2) synyster gates
3) takayoshi ohmura
4) syu
Quote by griffin888
You may not like their style, or what they write, but any of those guys can play pretty much anything on the guitar. With that in mind, I don't want to sound rude but nothing Radiohead, or of that nature belongs on any "best guitarist" list. Being popular doesn't make you a virtuoso, or in some cases even a good player.

No one said best vituoso guitarist. The guitarists from radiohead are fantastic guitarists. They may not be the quickest players or the most technically skilled but they are innovative and write good music. In my opinion they are some of the best modern guitarists, and this is all about opinion...
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II