Page 4 of 10
Don't really know if it's called a breakdown, but this part is one of my favourites.

Lovely band, The Chariot. They're just so recklessly chaotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu5agYyTQ-c I kinda wanna write something like this (The Carrier's Blind To What Is Right - they say they're not metalcore, I say no goddamn way they aren't). Anyone interested?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V (Duncan Quarter Pounds + Hipshot Kickass)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 8, 2012,
Quote by jetfuel495
"breakdown" doesn't necessarily mean "chug the open string"

Technically, a slam is by definition a type of breakdown (if I'm remembering properly what a slam is). Because all a breakdown really is is a section of the song that goes into halftime. The whole syncopated chugging thing has been played out to the point that people think that's what a breakdown is.

Slams, chugs, slower riffs, whatever, it's all about the groove and the feel of the drums.

I know, I was talking about the open string breakdowns that seem to be plaguing modern metalcore/deathcore.

Quote by Nietsche
If I know my slam death, which I don't at all, but let's pretend that I do, a slam would be something like 2:52 - 3:13 or 3:50 - 4:10 of this. You're basically right, but the main emphasis in the slam is on that slow, grinding, slightly menacing feel, rather than the moshy open note chugs you get in deathcore and such.

From what I read/know, this was the first occurrence of a slam in a Brutal Death Metal track; you're completely right.

Quote by blake1221

Reminds me so much of old school Entombed, I love it.

EDIT: Fixed a lame spelling mistake.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Last edited by Ometh at May 8, 2012,
I would be happy to provide some screamed vocals for anybody that wants some. I'll post a video or something in a week or two for you guys to check out. Just shoot me a pm or something if you're interested. Also, I might be able to contribute a full song, but put me down for a maybe on that.
Quote by Vendetta V
you didn't add me in there mate

What can you contribute? If I didn't add you it might be because I didn't see you mention it

If I miss anybody who said they will contribute, remind me with what instruments you will play and I will add you

Also, people ITT posting GP files I can't hear
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
What can you contribute? If I didn't add you it might be because I didn't see you mention it

If I miss anybody who said they will contribute, remind me with what instruments you will play and I will add you

http://www.tab-exporter.com/

convert them to MIDI.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

I can do guitar, bass, drums and can mix to a reasonable standard.

Also http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/
I definitely want to contribute. I can't record anything, but I've been working on a song that I'd like to see produced.
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Hmm. Don't know if I'll write anything cause I've had some writers block lately. But perhaps I could record if needed. Guitars or bass (Probably with a pick depending on song difficulty). Any tuning for 6/7 string guitar or 4/5 string bass would be fine.

Here's a song I recorded about a year ago for an example of my play style and tone.
http://soundcloud.com/daltonmunnal/track_05_instrumental

*cough*
Sorry Turtle, I thought I added you. I got you now. I dig the song there
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Sorry Turtle, I thought I added you. I got you now. I dig the song there

Thanks, aaaand thanks.
Add me to the list of people who can do the song themselves, it'll be a couple months, I'm waiting on a new amp and a couple mics, but after that it'll happen fairly quickly.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Is everyone in here doing bass with a real bass, or does anyone prefer to use VSTis/pitchshift guitars?
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Is everyone in here doing bass with a real bass, or does anyone prefer to use VSTis/pitchshift guitars?

If I get a hold out of my bassplayer's bass, I can do bass w/pick easily, no now tunings though since it's a cheap Squier in E, so even for my track (I play in C#) it'll be like playing with big ass spaghetti.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I decided that I'd bang out a quick song with the sole intent of making it as cliched and generic as possible. Once it's finished, does anyone want to fix up the drums for it? I can't really do drums.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I can record bass tracks for people. Can tune to anything.... yeah even drop G#
NO NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Quote by IcanHasBass
I can record bass tracks for people. Can tune to anything.... yeah even drop G#

Good because I have a couple A# standard 7 strings songs I would like to finish.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Real bass, all the way!
Quote by SkepsisMetal

i prefer to use pitchshift guitars. saves me about £200, seen as i'd never actually play the bass.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by theogonia777
I decided that I'd bang out a quick song with the sole intent of making it as cliched and generic as possible. Once it's finished, does anyone want to fix up the drums for it? I can't really do drums.

Count me in, if I end up with some free time I'll do it lolz, I love programming drums.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by laid-to-waste
i prefer to use pitchshift guitars. saves me about £200, seen as i'd never actually play the bass.

This was my logic before.
But my main guitar (the one without shitty fret wear) is in drop B, and pitchshifting that just makes modulated fart noises.

Downloading Cakewalk Studio package with the virtual bass sim now, see how it sounds in a mix. I'll feel like a pain in the ass just asking someone to track bass for me.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
But my main guitar (the one without shitty fret wear) is in drop B, and pitchshifting that just makes modulated fart noises.

Downloading Cakewalk Studio package with the virtual bass sim now, see how it sounds in a mix. I'll feel like a pain in the ass just asking someone to track bass for me.

That's a legitimately sucky bass sim, seriously. Try 4front Bass.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V (Duncan Quarter Pounds + Hipshot Kickass)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I can contribute normal and seven string guitars. I've got a few ideas I'm toying with right now that I might post on here, but if you need a man to track some guitars, I'm your man.

[GELDIT]
Macabre_Turtle, you and I post in a lot of similar threads in the Hardcore forum. I get the feeling that your writing and mine might be similar. Interested in a collab?
Last edited by Geldin at May 9, 2012,
Quote by Geldin
I can contribute normal and seven string guitars. I've got a few ideas I'm toying with right now that I might post on here, but if you need a man to track some guitars, I'm your man.

[GELDIT]
Macabre_Turtle, you and I post in a lot of similar threads in the Hardcore forum. I get the feeling that your writing and mine might be similar. Interested in a collab?

I don't know that I'm interested in writing for this thing. I haven't managed to write more than 20 seconds of a song in a long long time. Unless the thread's project takes an unusually long time to happen I won't be inspired enough to contribute any writing. If I was to contribute anything writing wise, I would probably be an unused song I wrote for my old band.
Here's hoping you get really inspired in the near future. If anyone's interested in a collab, shoot me a PM. I tend to write similar to Protest the Hero and The Human Abstract, but I'm open to just about any kind of musical ideas.

I've got a few ideas that I've been sitting on for a while. As soon as I find that hard drive, I'm gonna start sifting through and seeing if there's anything worth posting up here.
Quote by Geldin
Here's hoping you get really inspired in the near future. If anyone's interested in a collab, shoot me a PM. I tend to write similar to Protest the Hero and The Human Abstract, but I'm open to just about any kind of musical ideas.

I've got a few ideas that I've been sitting on for a while. As soon as I find that hard drive, I'm gonna start sifting through and seeing if there's anything worth posting up here.

I sure hope. Hopefully this stack of Protest The Hero and Scale The Summit tab books sitting next to me will spark something soon.
Quote by SkepsisMetal

yea, i feel that bro.

actually, i need an opinion on my bass sound. here is about 2/5 of my core song, i decided to not finish off an old one but to start anew, and it's not mixed properly or EQd but i just want an opinion on the bass that's mostly audible around 1:19. it's a .wav so apologies for the size:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lf1v0pzdbnpt797
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Oh man, this song I'm writing... the last breakdown is amazing. All the 15 year old girls are gonna be all like "da ending wuz soo bootiful like dis if u cry evry time"
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
All the 15 year old girls are gonna be all like "da ending wuz soo bootiful like dis if u cry evry time"

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by theogonia777
Oh man, this song I'm writing... the last breakdown is amazing. All the 15 year old girls are gonna be all like "da ending wuz soo bootiful like dis if u cry evry time"

I want to hear this.

I love bootiful endings.
Quote by damian_91
**** yeah I am

I can do some guitars and program drums and bass, we can start from a GP5/6 or something? if you could lay down some lyrics and drums actually or bass or something I could work on guitar parts

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

I guess you missed the post but nvm here it is again :

oh also add me up in the list for potential contributors. as I said I'll be contributing one of my tracks from my upcoming album but I'm also open to play lead and rhythm for anybody needs a lad guitarist. I'm kind of a Buckethead style guitarist/shredder. I'd love to lay down something like Botnus by buckethead or something along Killswitch engaged and stuff
I also have an access to guitar pro 6 so this is not an issue either