Heideck
719 IQ
Hi everyone, I'm searching a guitar for Metal. I'm playing lot of diffrement Metal, from Maiden to Death, passing by megadeth, slayer, dream theater, etc.

I want a guitar with 24 frets, floyd rose, and any style of body but no les paul style. My max budget is 500$, can be used or new.
JakePlaysGuitar
"Diggin' the blues"
2,792 IQ
I'd suggest having a look at some of the ibanez rg's maybe? I believe some of them come with floyd roses, but I'm not 100% sure.
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
noobcakepwner
286 IQ
Your gettin a bit too greedy for all those specs in that price range brand new, your best bet would be to go used.
lumberjack
The Axe Man
2,905 IQ
Best metal guitars in that range by far (IMHO) are the ESP LTD 400/300 series guitars. You can get them used for your budget range easily: check for H-400, M-400, and MH-400 guitars. There's a few other models out these days, check the 300 series too.

There's also a few F-series guitars from LTD that look even more metal...and have your specs too
Quote by ormsby guitars
Lumberjack
Last edited by lumberjack at May 5, 2012,
treysonpwaters
1,063 IQ
Just listen to better music and get a strat...I kid...^kind of right though. I would look for an Ibanez... beware of lesser versions of Floyd Roses, they are kind of junkie though. Be sure to find which ones are good.
jackin9
227 IQ
A good option might be the LTD Viper 300FM http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-viper-300fm-electric-guitar/584499005011005?condition=used#used

I like that guitar, a mate of mine had it for several years. But it does not have a FR. Do you really want a floyd rose for a budget that low? I had a floyd rose special and it costed me a lot of work because it would not stay in tune properly even after a good setup.
If it was up to me, u would stick with the hardtail till you can afford a origional fr.
If you do want a FR guitar, i would suggest getting an Ibanez RG or S within the budget range. Something like a RG470, RG350 or a S420. All decent guitars for the price.

Good luck!
cemges
Banned
822 IQ
Used RR3 or Dk2 from jackson could be nice. Or used Ibanez Japan rg. I got mine for 500 bucks, used, and truly awesome.
falcon1439
GAS again Jenkins?
1,800 IQ
When you grow up you'll want a proper guitar
When I started out I bought myself a metal machine. Now I'm desperately wanting a vintage spec strat or tele.
]
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
You can find used Japanese Ibanezes for pretty cheap. I think they are the best you could get with that budget. Don't know if you can find them for $500 (I found one for sale here in Finland for €450, it was RG2550) but if you could spend a bit more money, finding one would be easier.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Heideck
719 IQ
I wanted this type of guitar because I do own an american strat .
EspTro
3,642 IQ
you can easily find a jackson dk2 or dk2m in that price range
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
OVER9000VIDEOS
that ain't falco
589 IQ
Quote by falcon1439
When you grow up you'll want a proper guitar
When I started out I bought myself a metal machine. Now I'm desperately wanting a vintage spec strat or tele.

lol proper guitar

Not everyone listens to the same crap as you.

TS, go for a used Jackson or Ibanez.

If you want new, you'll have to save more or ditch the FR.
dspari1
278 IQ
http://www.themusicfarm.com/p-14375-dbz-halcyon-red-electric-guitar.aspx

$89 over your budget, but it has everything you've asked for and more. They have different colors and graphics for the same price as well. The same shop also has it on Ebay with free shipping if you find that they charge shipping on their main site.

With the exception of mahogany, It has the same specification as my Bird of Prey, and it might be more to your liking if you don't like pointy guitars.

It has real Original Floyd Rose, 24 Frets, EMG Active Pickups, Alder body, and rosewood fret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxW2F-_0_B0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you don't mind having graphics (Some like graphics, some feel it's unprofessional, but I like it), this model is made from mahogany:
http://www.themusicfarm.com/p-14372-dbz-halcyon-electric-guitar-vertigo-graphic-finish.aspx

DBZ Bird of Prey Sepulchre
    Diamond Nitrox Head
    Diamond Nitrox 4x12 Cabinet
    Last edited by dspari1 at May 8, 2012,
    t1mman
    411 IQ
    First thing, get to a store, try a couples of brands and see the feel of it. An ibanez won't feel the same as an LTD, even an LTD MH won't feel like an EC, the specs of the neck is pretty different...

When you find which one you feel the best with, you can probably find a better deal searching on the classified for a used one. For 500$, you will most likely get something pretty descent. Even more if you know how to tune a guitar (if you don't, prepare the budget to send it to tuning once it's bought)

as for the more "metalish" brands:
    -Ibanez
    -ESP/LTD
    -Jackson
    -PRS
    -MusicMan
    -Schecter
    -BC Rich
    -Dean

(to name a few)
    Heideck
    719 IQ
    I'm hesitating between the DBZ and an ibanez RG420, I'll post what will be my choice
    crazysam23_Atax
    Feuergesicht
    5,700 IQ
    Quote by Viban
    I'm sure I'll be attacked and yelled at for this but I like bc rich for metal guitars, specifically http://www.bcrich.com/models/guitars/Warbeast/Warbeast-Trace-T/96 I have nothing but positive things to say about it, takes distortion well and is plays well too

Boo! Shame! BC Rich are like the succubi of "Metal guitars". They suck up your cash and give very little back.

Ok, I'm joking. (You basically asked for some teasing by saying the bolded part. ) But seriously, don't get a BC Rich.

OT:
    Quote by Heideck
    I'm hesitating between the DBZ and an ibanez RG420, I'll post what will be my choice
    You may also want to try:
    I'd recommend either an Ibanez RG5EX1 or a modified Strat. Only trouble is, you'd probably have to go to eBay to get a good modified Strat (and even then, good is hard to find).

Above all though, I'd recommend you go and try out either what I and others have recommended. Also, try out a few similar guitars. See what feels good, what sounds good to you, etc. Happy guitar shopping!
    Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 8, 2012,
    dspari1
    278 IQ
    Quote by Heideck

The DBZ has Original Floyd Rose and EMG pickups. The Ibanez has the Edge III and infinity pickups. Spec per spec, the DBZ wins.

In other shops, they sell this guitar for $800, so I think it's a steal:
    http://carlinoguitars.com/DBZGuitars_livepics1.html
    Diamond Nitrox Head
    Last edited by dspari1 at May 8, 2012,
    TunerAddict
    Real Ass Nigga
    1,184 IQ
    Guitar Center has phenomenal deals in the used gear section of their website.

Just sayin'.
    Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
    Viban
    UG's resident bum
    1,669 IQ
    whats with the bc rich hate? they make a decent product IMO
    trashedlostfdup
    diet coke fiend.
    13,435 IQ
    "metal" is not a type of guitar, it is a genre of music. literally any guitar can play metal. i am so sick of people not understand this. i can play metal on my Gibson LP's, i do! an SG yea! thats my main "metal" guitar, but it is not a "metal guitar" its a guitar that i use to play the metal genre.

i don't remember the prices but i like the Godin Redlines, LTD EC400's aren't terrible (401's made in different country not quite as good. i have owned both), you should be able to get you hands on a Jackson in that price range, i don't keep to much watch over their products though.

have you owned a guitar with a full floating bridge before (like FR)?
    WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
    alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
    nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
    youre just being a jerk man.
    dspari1
    278 IQ
    Quote by trashedlostfdup
    "metal" is not a type of guitar, it is a genre of music. literally any guitar can play metal. i am so sick of people not understand this. i can play metal on my Gibson LP's, i do! an SG yea! thats my main "metal" guitar, but it is not a "metal guitar" its a guitar that i use to play the metal genre.

i don't remember the prices but i like the Godin Redlines, LTD EC400's aren't terrible (401's made in different country not quite as good. i have owned both), you should be able to get you hands on a Jackson in that price range, i don't keep to much watch over their products though.

When it comes to playing metal, I think there is a difference between guitars.

Are you going to want a guitar like a Fender with single coil pickups that are built for cleans or pickups that will give heavier tones such as SD and EMG are famous for. That's not to say that you can't take one and change the pickups and have a great guitar for the genre.

Are you going to want Basswood or Mahogany? I prefer the tone of mahogany, but that's just me.

Finally, there is also a theatrical portion of playing metal. Just like it's probably not a good idea to play blues or church music with a guitar that has a huge skull graphics and wearing chains and revealing your tattoos, it's perfectly acceptable and sometimes desired when playing metal.
    Diamond Nitrox Head
    Last edited by dspari1 at May 9, 2012,
    dspari1
    278 IQ
    Quote by Viban
    whats with the bc rich hate? they make a decent product IMO

There will always be B.C. Rich hate. No matter if many great artists such as Zoltan from 5FDP or John Moyer from Disturbed play them, people will still look at one of their radical shapes and discriminate. It isn't for everyone I guess.

I personally think they make great gear, but that's just me.
    Diamond Nitrox Head
    Last edited by dspari1 at May 9, 2012,
    LordPino
    1,125 IQ
    Just saying, I would not recommend buying a relatively cheap guitar with a Floyd Rose. Never actually owned one myself, but from what I hear, unless you got a proper, genuine FR, it's not worth the problems it causes.
    Current gear:
    Carvin CT6M
    TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
    Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
    Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
    EspTro
    3,642 IQ
    Quote by dspari1
    When it comes to playing metal, I think there is a difference between guitars.

Are you going to want a guitar like a Fender with single coil pickups that are built for cleans or pickups that will give heavier tones such as SD and EMG are famous for. That's not to say that you can't take one and change the pickups and have a great guitar for the genre.

Are you going to want Basswood or Mahogany? I prefer the tone of mahogany, but that's just me.

Finally, there is also a theatrical portion of playing metal. Just like it's probably not a good idea to play blues or church music with a guitar that has a huge skull graphics and wearing chains and revealing your tattoos, it's perfectly acceptable and sometimes desired when playing metal.

you obviously havnt played a tele through a 6505.....

but there is merit to what your saying .
    Quote by kangaxxter
    The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
    MaggaraMarine
    Slapping the bass.
    3,409 IQ
    Quote by trashedlostfdup

Yes it is. Some guitars are more designed for metal than others (guitars with EMG pickups, Floyd Rose and pointy looks, mostly brands like BC Rich, Jackson, Ibanez, especially Dean). But I agree with you, you can play any music style with any guitar. But which guitar do you think will do metal better: Fender Telecaster (with single coils) or Jackson Randy Rhodes? I am pretty sure that Jackson Randy Rhodes was designed primarily with metal in mind. And Telecaster more like for blues and country.
    Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
    Ibanez Blazer
    Yamaha FG720S-12
    Tokai TB48
    Laney VC30
    Hartke HyDrive 210c
    EspTro
    3,642 IQ
    Quote by MaggaraMarine
    Yes it is. Some guitars are more designed for metal than others (guitars with EMG pickups, Floyd Rose and pointy looks, mostly brands like BC Rich, Jackson, Ibanez, especially Dean). But I agree with you, you can play any music style with any guitar. But which guitar do you think will do metal better: Fender Telecaster (with single coils) or Jackson Randy Rhodes? I am pretty sure that Jackson Randy Rhodes was designed primarily with metal in mind. And Telecaster more like for blues and country.

doesnt mean you have to use those guitars. society shouldnt decide that only metal looking guitars are going to work for metal. how do you think some bands great super unique tones. no one thought anyone would shred on a strat or tele untill John 5 spurred things up and back starting in the 80's and 90's yngwie and eric Jhonson starting shredding like crazy on their guitars. while people like MAB did the super futuristic looking deans and metallica with their all black crazy shaped explorer (at the time).
    Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
    Tremolo Bum
    Addicted to FR
    1,607 IQ
    Quote by Fisheth24
    Used Jackson of some sort.

I agree.

You should be able to find a made in Japan Jackson for around that price, especially if you look used. I have a jackson dk2m dinky and a rr3 rhoads and they are both great guitars.
    trashedlostfdup
    diet coke fiend.
    13,435 IQ
    Quote by MaggaraMarine

pointy doesn't make it metal. EMG's don't make it metal, actually an EMG60 has a very pleasent clean. floyd roses have been used for rock or metal since they were developed, but they are not a requirement for a "metal" guitar.

yes there are guitars shifted toward one genre, but "metal isn't a guitar" its how the guitar is used

i agree a Jackson XXX or a ESP XXX are going to sound better for metal, but what is to stop them from playing blues? or country. you don't need single coils for country or blues if you have the proper amp setup. the amp selection would matter more. higher output pickups sound good on a Dr. Z, i have played numerous guitars through a Dr. Z they all sound good for cleaner tones.
    WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
    trashedlostfdup
    diet coke fiend.
    13,435 IQ
    also to mention at your budget the trems aren't all that great. typically you need to spend a little more for a good bridge. but thats not to say there aren't some that would hold up fine.
    WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
    MaggaraMarine
    Slapping the bass.
    3,409 IQ
    Quote by trashedlostfdup
    pointy doesn't make it metal. EMG's don't make it metal, actually an EMG60 has a very pleasent clean. floyd roses have been used for rock or metal since they were developed, but they are not a requirement for a "metal" guitar.

yes there are guitars shifted toward one genre, but "metal isn't a guitar" its how the guitar is used

i agree a Jackson XXX or a ESP XXX are going to sound better for metal, but what is to stop them from playing blues? or country. you don't need single coils for country or blues if you have the proper amp setup. the amp selection would matter more. higher output pickups sound good on a Dr. Z, i have played numerous guitars through a Dr. Z they all sound good for cleaner tones.

Yeah, as I said, I agree with you but some guitars are more made for metal than others. Of course you can play whatever style with whatever guitar. But some guitars are made for metal. But of course it's your own preference that matters. If you like Tele sound for metal, then it's OK. Or if you like Jackson RR tone for blues, it's OK too. Nothing wrong with it. But I'm pretty sure that Jackson RR was made primarily with metal in mind. And active pickups IMO can't do anything but metal/hard rock because they lack the twang and you get no crunchy sounds. Just full clean or full distortion. So they are good for clean clean sound and distorted sounds. Not really fan of them.
    Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
    Ibanez Blazer
    Yamaha FG720S-12
    Tokai TB48
    Laney VC30
    Hartke HyDrive 210c