OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
So I found this Strat on Craigslist that is pretty much the description of what I originally wanted in a Strat, and the guy offered to trade for my current Strat. I got my Mexi Strat $500 at GC, and he's selling his for $325. He offered to make that a trade, but I said that I don't think we can because of the $175 difference. Then he tells me something about the resale on Mexi Strats not being good and that I overpayed, and that his is upgraded. Could be possible but I don't wanna get ripped off.

Here's the post:
http://reno.craigslist.org/msg/2999705334.html

And here's my Strat:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2yk04ep.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/23uz9g4.jpg

Any words of advice?
kaptkegan
UG Senior Member
238 IQ
Play before you buy.

If yours is just a regular ol' MIM strat, you probably overpaid a bit (I got my MIM tele for $200), but you know your instrument better than I do.

Also, his is not an SSS strat, strictly speaking. It's HSS with the hot rails in the bridge. I ran hot rails for years, and enjoyed them fine (though honestly I prefer either a straight single coil, or a real humbucker ).
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Last edited by kaptkegan at May 7, 2012,
OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
Quote by kaptkegan
Also, his is not an SSS strat, strictly speaking. It's HSS with the hot rails in the bridge. I ran hot rails for years, and enjoyed them fine (though honestly I prefer either a straight single coil, or a real humbucker [I have a Pearly Gates now, and it's incredible).

That's kinda what made me REALLY wanna trade, the bridge humbucker it has in it. So those Hot Rails wouldn't be like a normal humbucker in a Strat? Was sort of looking forward to being able to play a bit heavier sounds. :P
DrewMeyer
2,846 IQ
The guy is right, MIM resale is pretty low, so $325 would be a fair price for that guitar. I would never pay $500 for a MIM strat (no offense, though).
kaptkegan
UG Senior Member
238 IQ
Quote by OnlyTwin
That's kinda what made me REALLY wanna trade, the bridge humbucker it has in it. So those Hot Rails wouldn't be like a normal humbucker in a Strat? Was sort of looking forward to being able to play a bit heavier sounds. :P

It's crunchier than a single coil, but doesn't have (and I'm going to descend into onomatopoeia here, forgive me) the snarl or the rip of a true humbucker in my opinion. I found them to be a little flat sounding. Not bad at all, and probably an improvement over what you've got, but I'd swap it out for a Pearly Gates any day.

I'm not trying to turn you off here, I think this is a good trade. Just a word of caution that it's not gonna sound like you're playing a Gibson all of a sudden.

I think the Hot Rails is one of the better single slot humbuckers out there, too. So, there's that.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Last edited by kaptkegan at May 7, 2012,
OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
Quote by kaptkegan
It's crunchier than a single coil, but doesn't have (and I'm going to descend into onomatopoeia here, forgive me) the snarl or the rip of a true humbucker in my opinion. I found them to be a little flat sounding. Not bad at all, and probably an improvement over what you've got, but I'd swap it out for a Pearly Gates any day.

I'm not trying to turn you off here, I think this is a good trade. Just a word of caution that it's not gonna sound like you're playing a Gibson all of a sudden.

I think I would be fine as long as it could qualify as a humbucker.

And how would swapping it out for a better humbucker later on be? Would the slanted direction affect it?
kaptkegan
UG Senior Member
238 IQ
Quote by OnlyTwin
I think I would be fine as long as it could qualify as a humbucker.

And how would swapping it out for a better humbucker later on be? Would the slanted direction affect it?

I'm assuming that like most strats, the body is cut to be able to take a humbucker in the bridge. You'd need a new pickguard, and a Pearly Gates is about $80-$90 (though there is infinity humbucker selection). I'd also recommend getting a pro to put it in.

If you want you can go crazy. I got new pots and a sick coil tap when I put my PG in, where the coil tap splits the humbucker and turns it on permanently so I can play all three singles, or bridge and neck singles. I love it.

If you're thinking that far ahead, just be sure the body and neck on the guitar are good enough to be worth modding. If not, this is still an admirable guitar.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

Robfreitag
64 IQ
you paid $500 for the guitar, but you wont be able to sell it for that. you'll always pay more at a store, and if you were going to sell it you'd be looking at something similar to his price.
---
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
And his comes with a hard case!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
Not sure if he said if he would include it or not, but it would be awesome.

But back to the Hot Rails, how does it sound with more distorted tones?
Elderer
UG Member
1,208 IQ
Cant speak on matter of Hot Rails,but my experience with single coil sized buckers have only been positive so far-a lot of artists use them. Go on look out for them,both Duncan and DiMarzio make top quality coil buckers. Wiring is almost as important as p/u itself-wire tone pot directly to it and a lot of tone varieties. My Strat has 3 buckers(Billy Corgan prewired) but the way how its wired makes it one of the most versatile guitars Ive ever played.

Back to topic:you overpaid a little. Ask the guy if case comes and close up of frets/fretboard.
timmymaines
769 IQ
if its the pick-up your after why not just change the one you got..other then that and the fret board im not seeing much of a differince in the two
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
Headstock:

MADE IN (blank)

Is it just me, or is that suspicious?

I came here to post this. Looks like a very dedicated fake for that to be an honest mistake, though. Dunno.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos
838 IQ
Something just isn't correct about that neck. The missing info on the headstock and the fact that it has a floyd nut but not a floyd bridge worries me. The serial lists it as a Mexican strat but doesn't tell much else.

Edit: I will note that after comparing it to other photos on 2004 mexistrats that the Made In part of the logo is in the correct position, just missing Mexico after it.
Last edited by poppameth at May 8, 2012,
monwobobbo
607 IQ
the locking nut is kinda weird and makes me wonder. i'd pass and just get a new pickup. when you think about it why would this guy want to trade for what is essentially the same thing?
kaneorsomething
Guitar User
1,523 IQ
The fact he's eager to trade for another strat coupled with the blank "made in" would make me suspicious, personally.
yep
ToXyN
I am mine
172 IQ
Glad to see others already state the MADE in "blank"

Also.. who would trade an American or MIJ strat for a mexi.. or for less then 400 with a custom pickup and hardshell case?

I say stay away.
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
i love my hot rails. dave murray uses them too, which makes them more awesome
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Glenn Guitar
395 IQ
To be honest, why don't you stick a hot rails or a humbucker in your own strat?

I'm a bit fishy about that strat, for the same reasons as the others have said above. No reason you couldn't mod your own guitar, for all you know that guitar might have a bit of wear around some parts not evident. It could be beat up and a bit rusty.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
So, before anyone posted anything about the sketchy bits, I went ahead with the trade. I barely saw all these new posts pertaining to the "Made in ___" and the trem lock. I'm now realizing that this was a bad trade. I want to get a better Strat, but I would first need to get rid of this one. What should I do?
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
792 IQ
Quote by Robfreitag
you paid $500 for the guitar, but you wont be able to sell it for that. you'll always pay more at a store, and if you were going to sell it you'd be looking at something similar to his price.

Exactly, you can see how much MIM Strats sell for on ebay. Maybe new ones run about $500 but used they are much cheaper, maybe half that.
OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
Quote by Huge Guy
Exactly, you can see how much MIM Strats sell for on ebay. Maybe new ones run about $500 but used they are much cheaper, maybe half that.

I tried $250 on CL, and I almost got a bite, but the guy stayed away because of the whole tremolo/trem lock situation.
ne14t
1,045 IQ
Odds are with the issues as described there will be no way for you to make a trade that would be beneficial to you, and unless you like hemorrhaging money you should cut your losses and just keep that guitar and save up for the one you really want.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
Quote by ne14t
Odds are with the issues as described there will be no way for you to make a trade that would be beneficial to you, and unless you like hemorrhaging money you should cut your losses and just keep that guitar and save up for the one you really want.

But I mean, can't I make atleast a single Benjamin off of selling it?
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by OnlyTwin
But I mean, can't I make atleast a single Benjamin off of selling it?

You might be better off just buying a mighty mite replacement neck and using the same body(assuming that the body is a MIM strat body).
zl1288
197 IQ
Yea, it seems like you messed up trade value wise. Can't see the pics of the strat you traded for, but it sounds like you got a partscaster. Doesn't mean it's that bad of a trade though... Does it play well/sound good? If so, just keep it and save your pennies for a nice strat.

If you don't like it, just continue to try to sell it. Craigslist is flooded with strats, so you will have to be patient. I wouldn't buy a replacement neck, if it sells (even with a replacement neck) you are probably looking at around $250 tops. I wouldn't sink any additional money into it.
OnlyTwin
1,295 IQ
Quote by zl1288
Yea, it seems like you messed up trade value wise. Can't see the pics of the strat you traded for, but it sounds like you got a partscaster. Doesn't mean it's that bad of a trade though... Does it play well/sound good? If so, just keep it and save your pennies for a nice strat.

If you don't like it, just continue to try to sell it. Craigslist is flooded with strats, so you will have to be patient. I wouldn't buy a replacement neck, if it sells (even with a replacement neck) you are probably looking at around $250 tops. I wouldn't sink any additional money into it.

Yeah, I figured if I could get atleast $100-$150 to start me off on buying another strat, I might as well sell it. I mean, it sounds good, but I never did LOVE the guitar. I almost sold it for $250 but the buyer did some talking with a Fender expert or something, so it was no deal. Stuck with this bad trade.

Here's the damage though:
http://i49.tinypic.com/34pcoro.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/1hce2x.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2cg0pzt.jpg
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp
1,403 IQ
Doesn't look too bad...is that goo or glue residue I can see?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Huge Guy
792 IQ
You could try listing the Strat on ebay. You won't have to deal with people trying to negotiate with you or lowball.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by Huge Guy
You could try listing the Strat on ebay. You won't have to deal with people trying to negotiate with you or lowball.

Possibly this. Although eBay and paypal take their cut from every sale, and the cost of shipping is typical a loss for the seller, so you might not be better off in the end.
Huge Guy
792 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
the cost of shipping is typical a loss for the seller, so you might not be better off in the end.

Some people do offer free shipping but I personally wouldn't so that on something that'll only sell for a couple of hundred bucks. When I sell a guitar online I charge $35 for UPS shipping, this includes all the packing materials I need to buy.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by Huge Guy
Some people do offer free shipping but I personally wouldn't so that on something that'll only sell for a couple of hundred bucks. When I sell a guitar online I charge $35 for UPS shipping, this includes all the packing materials I need to buy.

The seller typically pays for the shipping in one way or another. The buyer has an idea of how much they are willing a pay for a guitar, and that usually includes the shipping. For that reason and for the seller fees, I prefer CL. But I live in a big city, so finding a buyer isn't too difficult.
jeffo46
Tab Contributor
220 IQ
I would just swap out the bridge pickup in your guitar, for a new Humbucker single coil. I wouldn't trust anything from Craig's List. If money is a issue, go to www.musiciansfriend.com and get yourself a Duncan Designed Detonator Single coil. They only sell for 30 bucks and are amazing for the price. It'll give you the punch that you're looking for , trust me on this one . It's a Twin Blade design that totally kicks ass.
Huge Guy
792 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
The seller typically pays for the shipping in one way or another. The buyer has an idea of how much they are willing a pay for a guitar, and that usually includes the shipping. For that reason and for the seller fees, I prefer CL. But I live in a big city, so finding a buyer isn't too difficult.

Fair enough but sale prices seem to be a big higher on CL than ebay.
Bhaok
The evil old man
26 IQ
Sell it or just hang it on the wall as a piece of art if it is unplayable. Then save your pennies and buy what you think you wanted in the first place.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by Huge Guy
Fair enough but sale prices seem to be a big higher on CL than ebay.

I've always thought priced were higher on eBay? For example, when I was selling my Gibson, I saw that they often went for about $750 on eBay w/ shipping. I tried for a while to get even $750, then $700 on CL and no one was interested. Finally I made a new add saying that I would sell it for $650, no less, because that's what I'll make on eBay after shipping and fees. Took about a week, but I got $650 for it. CL is a great tool for bother sellers and buyers, but it's especially great for buyers.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Nov 3, 2012,