Eric | Johnson
Banned
349 IQ
Is this an absolutely essential technique to master if you hold your pick with your thumb and index finger?

Take Valley of the Damned for example (the 20's are taps):

T                       T                       T                       T           T
|-20-19p15----------15h19-20-19p15----------15h19-20-19p15----------15h19-22-19p15h19-22---|
|----------17----17----------------17----17----------------17----17------------------------|
|-------------16----------------------16----------------------16---------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Here at 3:24 duration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWCrCXiVpA

To play this section and similar ones, is it essential to get tapping down with the middle finger for the 20's, and then quickly switch to the pick held with the thumb and index finger for the 17-16-17 sequence?
Last edited by Eric | Johnson at May 9, 2012,
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast
2,974 IQ
I don't have a guitar on me at the current moment to try it out myself, but you could play the 20 with the pinky for sure and the 19 with the ring finger. For the 22 though it definitely sounds tapped. It's possible to play the 20 tapped but it would be quite difficult to make the transition in a efficient and fluid motion.

EDIT:

Oh i think i understand the question now. That lick seems nearly impossible to play up to speed without using your middle finger to tap.
Last edited by vayne92 at May 9, 2012,
Shor
581 IQ
Well you can tap with your ring finger as well if it feels more comfortable?

Semi-joking aside, I guess you can tap with your pick if you want, but it wont sound the same, and I wouldn't recommend it for that.
If you want to learn licks like that, then yeah...it's probably a very good idea that you learn how to tap with your middle finger.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
HeckRaiser
Heck Raiser
32 IQ
I recommend it, in-fact unless I"m doing a multi-finger tap I don't tap with my index at all.
ThrashUnleashed
stealing human bones
443 IQ
I've never come across a song that requires it, but I'd say it's a worthy skill to have, especially if you write music
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
In general, I prefer using my middle and ring fingers for tapping. My index is almost always holding the pick, so it rarely gets used to tap.
Andalus
Bànned
617 IQ
Well OP's banned... so I'm going to ask a relevant question myself.

When tapping with my middle finger should I stick it out or keep it relatively tucked in? I can get more force when it's sticking out but tucked in is comfier.

Also, how do I dampen the strings properly when tapping? Always seem to get noise from open strings.
mrbabo91
1,819 IQ
When going from the tapping to the picking would you pick over the area of the neck you are tapping in, rather than moving your hand back to the bridge area ?
Shor
581 IQ
Quote by Andalus
When tapping with my middle finger should I stick it out or keep it relatively tucked in? I can get more force when it's sticking out but tucked in is comfier.

Also, how do I dampen the strings properly when tapping? Always seem to get noise from open strings.

You don't need to do anything special, as long as it's relaxed but ready to go.
As for dampening, I can just speak for myself. The higher strings will generally be muted by the fretting hand, and the lower I tend to mute with the palm of my picking hand.

Quote by mrbabo91
When going from the tapping to the picking would you pick over the area of the neck you are tapping in, rather than moving your hand back to the bridge area ?

This depends entirely on which sound you're going for. Closer to the neck gives a smoother and bassier sound, whereas closer to the bridge will be a treblier sound.
With practice you should be able to go from picking to tapping relatively quickly no matter where you're picking.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
zincabopataurio
1,179 IQ
This is why when I was first starting out, I developed my middle finger on my right hand as my tapping finger.
MatthiasYoung
46 IQ
It's very difficult when moving from tapping to picking to keep to pick in the same area over the frets, since your pick can hit them. I'd recommend moving your pick back to your normal picking area.
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,983 IQ
Hi,

On the subject of tapping...

I'm gonna ask a question here rather than start new thread. I'm learning a solo and it's the 1st "fast" tapping solo I try to learn. It goes well until this pattern comes. As tabbed in GP:

-------------------------
T-------T
17p1517p15p13p10h13p10 (repeat 4 times per measure)

Intuitively this gives me (finger position above)

R1-L4-L3-L1
17-15-13-10

I find this very awkward to do the 15-13 pulloffs with pinky here after tapping.

Would it be possible to tap 17 with right middle finger and pull off 15 with right index? Giving positioning:

R2-R1-L3-L1
17-15-13-10

How would you play this?

I hope that was understandable, thanks

Edit:
My pinky isn't very good at doing pulloffs that's why I ask
Last edited by fanapathy at May 10, 2012,
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by fanapathy
Hi,

On the subject of tapping...

I'm gonna ask a question here rather than start new thread. I'm learning a solo and it's the 1st "fast" tapping solo I try to learn. It goes well until this pattern comes. As tabbed in GP:

-------------------------
T-------T
17p1517p15p13p10h13p10 (repeat 4 times per measure)

Intuitively this gives me (finger position above)

R1-L4-L3-L1
17-15-13-10

I find this very awkward to do the 15-13 pulloffs with pinky here after tapping.

Would it be possible to tap 17 with right middle finger and pull off 15 with right index? Giving positioning:

R2-R1-L3-L1
17-15-13-10

How would you play this?

I hope that was understandable, thanks

Edit:
My pinky isn't very good at doing pulloffs that's why I ask

Certainly doable but I would recommend that you work on what your fretting hand can do before adding more tapping hand fingers, your fretting hand is much more important in this context.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by xevious1
tap with you index finger and put in the pick between your hand and middle finger then were you done tapping switch it right back.

Or you could tap with the middle finger and not have to do anything with the pick...

Album.
Legion.
mrwiggles35
205 IQ
didnt know that middle finger tapping was weird :S i do it all the time.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by mrwiggles35
didnt know that middle finger tapping was weird :S i do it all the time.

It really isn't, there are literally thousands of people who do it all the time, myself included.

Album.
Legion.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
Is this an absolutely essential technique to master if you hold your pick with your thumb and index finger?

Pretty much, tapping with the index is pretty silly tbh.

1) Always aim for comfort. Your finger doesn't need to "stick out" to get volume.
2) Same way as always, left index kills higher strings and 1 immediately below the fretted note, right hand palm kills lower strings. It's tricky with tapping but not impossible.
MatthiasYoung
46 IQ
Van Halen taps with his index, but he also holds the pick in an unorthodox fashion between his thumb and middle finger. Works for him.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by MatthiasYoung
Van Halen taps with his index, but he also holds the pick in an unorthodox fashion between his thumb and middle finger. Works for him.

That doesn't make it ideal. It's pretty well established that he only holds his pick like that because he likes to keep his index in position for tapping, whereas if you tap with the middle finger you can keep a more orthodox grip on the pick with no disadvantages that I can think of.

Album.
Legion.