Page 1 of 12
Have a pedalboard related question?

Need help with a DIY pedal project?

Not sure what pedal to buy?

Chances are if you enter the Pedal Board Thread, you will be abused.

Ask a question here and a friendly PBT Native will kindly be of service.
mojostompboxes.com
Last edited by greeny23 at May 11, 2012,
Yeah I've got a question or two How do you stop your pedal board being an ugly mess of wires? Would 10ft of cable going into 2 true bypass pedals and then 10ft of cable going to the amp result in too much capacitance? And also how long can pedal power bank things keep powering pedals? Not just stompboxes,but also multi fx.
]
Bought one of those P.o.s Pedal board some of my pedals the C*ck sucker wouldn't Power. Bought Voodo labs pedal power... pro as sh*t. Dont buy one of those skb pedal boards because it costs too much and works like crap. that is all I have to say about pedalboards ATM
Spc. Alex A Colby 182 Sapper Co. ( Boston to Baghdad )
What is the best overdrive of these: Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive, Fulltone Plimsoul, Ibanez TS808, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive?
Also, best boost < $100
Last edited by DrewMeyer at May 11, 2012,
Quote by DrewMeyer
What is the best overdrive of these: Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive, Fulltone Plimsoul, Ibanez TS808, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive?
Also, best boost < $100

Best for what?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Best for what?

Thinking generically the best, but as tone is subjective, let's just say best for John Mayer-type, creamy overdrive tones.
This can only end badly.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by falcon1439
Yeah I've got a question or two How do you stop your pedal board being an ugly mess of wires? Would 10ft of cable going into 2 true bypass pedals and then 10ft of cable going to the amp result in too much capacitance? And also how long can pedal power bank things keep powering pedals? Not just stompboxes,but also multi fx.

Mess of wires: cable ties. failing that, electrical tape.

Cable/capacitance: shouldnt matter.

Power question: not sure what youre asking?
mojostompboxes.com
does this mean I can be a dick in our thread again?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by falcon1439

The best ways to prevent excessive cable from affecting your tone is to select quality cable with low capacitance. Note, Monster is not what I mean by quality cable.
Another good way to prevent tone loss is to drive your signal with a low impedance buffer to prevent the signal from getting loaded down.

If you're referring to rechargable battery packs don't invest in those. Just get a proper brick style power supply like a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior or BBE Supa Charger. Note, when I say brick I do not mean the Dunlop DC Brick, which is crap.
Quote by DrewMeyer
Also, best boost < $100

Fulltone Fulldrive is basically an Ibanez TS808 with more options.
I myself prefer the Fulltone Fulldrive, but I have both (And a TS9DX).
For Mayer Tones, not sure as I'm not really that into his music.
Fulltone Fulldrive is great for a lot of Classic Rock style stuff.
And it does help is we know what gear you currently have and what other sounds you want to achieve.

Boosts?
Many boosts are based of the Electro Harmonix LPB-1.
You can find those dirt cheap.
Or even built them cheaper. Its one of the simplest designs out there.
There are several places that have build kits that come with all you need to build your own:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/
are a few

Something based off of the ZVex SHO is popular as well.
For under $100 you may have to go used if you choose another brand/model.
hello, my name is jebediah and i am a PBT native, officially licensed and qualified to answer all of your pedalboard related questions.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by CodeMonk
Again?

Just be nice here.
This is our PR department.

I'll be nice here, but now I don't have to be in our mother thread
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I'll be nice here, but now I don't have to be in our mother thread

Me either, and I may start to surpass you in nastiness.
Quote by DrewMeyer
Thinking generically the best, but as tone is subjective, let's just say best for John Mayer-type, creamy overdrive tones.

as rob said, the fulldrive is a modded 808 clone. john mayer basically boosts the lead channel on his amp with a tubescreamer to get his sound. however, if you want to get close to his lead sound with a clean amp and a pedal, go for a zendrive or a lovepedal eternity (or find a builder to make you a clone) - they're both modded sons of screamers anyway (tubescreamer without the i/o buffers).
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at May 11, 2012,
Quote by forsaknazrael
The best ways to prevent excessive cable from affecting your tone is to select quality cable with low capacitance. Note, Monster is not what I mean by quality cable.
Another good way to prevent tone loss is to drive your signal with a low impedance buffer to prevent the signal from getting loaded down.

If you're referring to rechargable battery packs don't invest in those. Just get a proper brick style power supply like a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior or BBE Supa Charger. Note, when I say brick I do not mean the Dunlop DC Brick, which is crap.

What about the harley Benton power plant?
]
Quote by falcon1439

Glorified daisy chain. Like John mentioned, the fuel tank series are the cheapest and best power supply's for people on a budget. If you have a little more to dish out, grab a cioks dc10.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Glorified daisy chain. Like John mentioned, the fuel tank series are the cheapest and best power supply's for people on a budget. If you have a little more to dish out, grab yianni's ac10.

fixed
Quote by falcon1439

Thats basically a One spot in abox, personally i like voodoo labs stuff alot, how many pedals are you looking to power, and are they all 9 volt
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by falcon1439

the junior is allegedly a fuel tank junior copy (i.e. isolated- it claims to be, anyway), but the normal-sized HB one is just a glorified daisy chain.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by championguitar
Thats basically a One spot in abox, personally i like voodoo labs stuff alot, how many pedals are you looking to power, and are they all 9 volt

And what are they? Some pedals use a positive internal ground and cannot share a DC line with normal -ve grnd pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What would be the recommended order for a Boss TU-3, Vox V845 wah, and a Satchurator?
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by blizzboy
What would be the recommended order for a Boss TU-3, Vox V845 wah, and a Satchurator?

tuner, wah, satchurator.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
tuner, wah, satchurator.

Sweet, that's what I thought. Lol.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Why do some pedals have a positive internal ground? Seems like they'd want to build them all to accommodate a normal 9v feed...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Why do some pedals have a positive internal ground? Seems like they'd want to build them all to accommodate a normal 9v feed...

mainly because they vintage (read: mojo) transistors.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
mainly because they vintage (read: mojo) transistors.

Ahhhhh, gotcha. Can this typically be changed?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Ahhhhh, gotcha. Can this typically be changed?

there are circuits you can add to convert it yeah, but most people dont bother.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
there are circuits you can add to convert it yeah, but most people dont bother.

So what do you do, just have 2 power supplies going to your board to accommodate it/them?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
So what do you do, just have 2 power supplies going to your board to accommodate it/them?

personally, i have all my pedals on isolated power supplies from the MXR CAE thing i have..

but that would work for daisy chains yep.
mojostompboxes.com
I'll have to check out one of these MXR CAEs. I was looking at Cioks power supplies but from what I gather they don't have multiple types of power...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I am looking for a chorus pedal. Does anybody own an MXR sterio chours, if you do would you recommend it?
Quote by orangepi
I am looking for a chorus pedal. Does anybody own an MXR sterio chours, if you do would you recommend it?

haven't tried the mxr. the old boss MIJ CE-2 is an excellent chorus though, and can be had for relatively cheap.
Quick questions:
I'm thinking of ordering $240 worth of stuff from PGS. They currently have a sale, $30 off any purchase of $200+, which imo is kinda weak. Sale ends tonight, should I go for it or wait for a better sale? How often do they have sales?
Kenneth
so basically I've been asked to join a band, starting off playing songs from Paramore, Tonight Alive and VersaEmerge etc. First song I've been asked to play is 'Brick By Boring Brick' by Paramore. I'm not technical at all when it comes to all the accessories. Just wondering what people think are the best effect pedals to use to generate sounds like these bands. Also I can't afford a great deal, maybe a couple of hundred max
Thanks