Page 2 of 12
Quote by Eppicurt
Glorified daisy chain. Like John mentioned, the fuel tank series are the cheapest and best power supply's for people on a budget. If you have a little more to dish out, grab a cioks dc10.

I currently use a Boss daisy chain off of my tuner, what improvment would a fuel tank make to my set up. You have shaken my blissfull ignorance!!
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by &baconstrips
Quick questions:
I'm thinking of ordering $240 worth of stuff from PGS. They currently have a sale, $30 off any purchase of $200+, which imo is kinda weak. Sale ends tonight, should I go for it or wait for a better sale? How often do they have sales?

They often have like 10% off, but $30 off is better. So I'd go for it.
Quote by nuttypom
so basically I've been asked to join a band, starting off playing songs from Paramore, Tonight Alive and VersaEmerge etc. First song I've been asked to play is 'Brick By Boring Brick' by Paramore. I'm not technical at all when it comes to all the accessories. Just wondering what people think are the best effect pedals to use to generate sounds like these bands. Also I can't afford a great deal, maybe a couple of hundred max
Thanks

There are no specific effects used in that song as far as I can hear. If you have a decent amp you should be able to get close to the sound. What amp do you have?
Quote by gerrywm
I currently use a Boss daisy chain off of my tuner, what improvment would a fuel tank make to my set up. You have shaken my blissfull ignorance!!

It just makes sure that each pedal is getting the proper and a regulated amount of power without relying on a single power source.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
It just makes sure that each pedal is getting the proper and a regulated amount of power without relying on a single power source.

Oh righty, ya the adaptor for the Holy Grail broke on me so everything is running off the daisy chain at the moment. Not an ideal set up but will have to keep me going for another while
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by gerrywm
Oh righty, ya the adaptor for the Holy Grail broke on me so everything is running off the daisy chain at the moment. Not an ideal set up but will have to keep me going for another while

IIRc the fuel tank is isolated so that reduces hum from using a daisy chain
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
^iirc only some of the fuel tank models are isolated
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
what's the best way to reduce the hum from a daisy chain? keep it short? special type of cable? I think I'm having an issue with that and I'm running a 1spot. upgrading my power supply at this moment is no option for an unknown, possible long period of time so I'd want to battle the hum as much as I can with my setup
Quote by WtrPlyr
They often have like 10% off, but $30 off is better. So I'd go for it.

Thanks, a day too late though haha. I guess I'll wait. How about prymaxe vintage? It seems like they have free shipping to canada (according to the shipping calculator stuff), how often do they have sales? there's one on right now (same deal as pgs), but they're out of stock of some stuff.
Kenneth
I'm about to build my first DIY pedal, and I hit a wall when I started sourcing parts. What I'm building is essentially a Timmy clone. I have my materials list handy if I need to post it. I guess my question is this: For an overdrive pedal what type of parts should I look for? What are some good brands? What materials work best for a project like this?
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by bAngiel01
I'm about to build my first DIY pedal, and I hit a wall when I started sourcing parts. What I'm building is essentially a Timmy clone. I have my materials list handy if I need to post it. I guess my question is this: For an overdrive pedal what type of parts should I look for? What are some good brands? What materials work best for a project like this?

The Timmy has an IC in it so grab a few different types and see which one you like the sound of best. Same applies for the diodes. Grab a few different types and some sockets (diode sockets and IC sockets) and then you can mix and match different IC's and Diodes until you like the sound.
Quote by Dan_5893
The Timmy has an IC in it so grab a few different types and see which one you like the sound of best. Same applies for the diodes. Grab a few different types and some sockets (diode sockets and IC sockets) and then you can mix and match different IC's and Diodes until you like the sound.

For an IC, I'm picking up a JRC4559, and I'm getting 1N4148s for my diodes. I'm thinking carbon film resistors (which brand, I don't know). And I'm pretty lost on caps (materials, brands, etc). I know what I need (values, electrolytes, etc), but not the specifics. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll definitely try mixing and matching some of the components.
Quote by schecter ftw
What kind of cables do you guys recommend for connecting pedals? Like really nice short ones.

I'm not a native, but DiMarzio Jumper Cables are good.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
i like hosa pancake cables for my board. alot of people solder their own patch cables but i don't currently have a soldering iron and my board is currently changing alot so those are the next best thing IMO
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Im a complete newbee to this as I have been using a multi effects bored but now want to change to stomp boxes

How does a bored work exactly? Like are there pros and cons?

And also how does the power supply work? As different pedals use different power supplys how would this work on a board?

And as the board goes between guitar and amp does this affect the signal from guitar to amp or is the board a ‘true bypass’??
Well the board doesn't really do much. You put pedals on it, that's it really.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The board is what you put your pedals on for the most part. There will be no signal passing through it. Some guys here just use bits of wooden shelving. It's purely to keep all your pedals together in one place. The main 'pro' is that it's easy to keep all your pedals neatly in order, and always connected.

When you fill the board up with individual stomp boxes, you will connect them together with short cables called patch cables. When the effects are off, the signal from your guitar will carry through to the amp.

"True Bypass" means that when your stomp boxes are off, there is no circuitry in the way of the signal from the guitar. If you were to pull all the power supplies and batteries out of these pedals, signal would still pass through them, when they are off, they are essentially part of the cable.

When Pedals are not 'True Bypass' they have active circuitry in them, such as a buffer, that your signal passes through while the pedal is off. This is not always a bad thing. A good buffer can be very useful. Cheap pedals will usually have bad buffers though, which will suck your tone.

As for power supply - most pedals will run off 9v DC. You can buy power bricks, which are like one big power supply you can hook all your pedals to, or daisy chain cables, which attach to one of your 9V power supplies and then connect to each of your pedals, providing 9V to each one. There are pros and cons to each - I use a daisy chain for cost effectiveness, and I don't have room on my board for a power supply brick.
from a quick bowse it seems boss and behringer do some boards which house a power supply as well, is this the case or am i misinterpreting it?
how can a power supply be shit? it either suplly power or it doesnt, or is there more to it than that?
Good power supplies provide stable, filtered, regulated power. Crap ones cause hum, don't provide clean power (there are ripples, so it's not quite DC power) and aren't regulated so the voltage can fluctuate and change.
well there are two things that a power supply should have to ensure maximum safety and noise-free operation - regulation and isolation.

a regulated power supply is ensured to put out the amount of voltage that it is specified for, e.g. 9V. an unregulated power supply can have voltage swing up or down a couple of volts - not good.

the difference between isolated and non-isolated inputs is that the non-isolated inputs share a ground, whereas isolated inputs don't. what this amounts to is that isolated outputs can't 'see' each other, therefore they don't inherit each other's noise. with a power supply with non-isolated outputs, all the noise from each output is cumulative.

now what sort of noise you get from your pedals depends on what pedals you have. pedals that add noise are typically high-current drawing pedals such as delays and reverbs. however, there are people who use a one-spot (one output and a daisy chain) to power their board, and not have any issues with noise. so it's circumstantial.

but yeah, all in all, the most important thing is a regulated, quality power supply. the one spot is good, if you're on a budget. and if you want to look into something with isolated outputs as well, the t-rex fuel tank junior is pretty awesome and doesn't hurt your pocket too much.
the one spot or godlyke power all arn't bad power supplies if your on a budget, but if you can i'd get one with isolated outputs, voodoo labs and some of the t rex fuel tank variants are a good place to start
are there any ready made boards with regulated and isolated power suplys that anyone can think of for me to have a look at??
The gator pedalboard comes to mind for both power and pedalboardness.
mojostompboxes.com
What exactly does the Keeley TS9 mod do?

What about the Rat mod?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Which store/website offers the best selection for DIY pedal builders. I put my last order in at Mouser (save for the vero boards I bought from Tayda) Mouser has a huge selection, but it's almost too huge--especially for a noob. Is there any one place that really caters to pedal builders?

Where do you guys buy parts from?
Tayda
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by RealGuitarHero
What exactly does the Keeley TS9 mod do?

What about the Rat mod?

there should be youtube demos A/Bing a stock one and a modded one, the mods just change some small part of the sound, both stock sound fine IMO
Quote by lbj273
Tayda

I looked into buying from them. I'm definitely going to buy pots, enclosures, jacks, switches, and whatnot from them, but the prices on the caps/resistors/etc seemed almost to good to be true. Is their stuff good quality?
Quote by bAngiel01
I looked into buying from them. I'm definitely going to buy pots, enclosures, jacks, switches, and whatnot from them, but the prices on the caps/resistors/etc seemed almost to good to be true. Is their stuff good quality?

yes it is. Get the 1% tolerance resistors and which ever caps you need, they are good parts.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
yes it is. Get the 1% tolerance resistors and which ever caps you need, they are good parts.

Well, I'm looking into it to start a stock supply and whatnot. Unfortunately, though, there selection is quite limited compared to the big boys. Can't have everything, I guess.
Quote by jamie vk
Im a complete newbee to this as I have been using a multi effects bored but now want to change to stomp boxes

How does a bored work exactly? Like are there pros and cons?

And also how does the power supply work? As different pedals use different power supplys how would this work on a board?

And as the board goes between guitar and amp does this affect the signal from guitar to amp or is the board a ‘true bypass’??

Pro.....stomp box easy to use, plug in stand on it twiddle a few nobs to get what you want with the right pedal
Con....Impending poverty due to the "if I get one more my board will be complete" logic that you WILL develop

Have fun!!!!!
I regret nothing!!!
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
I have a question about my wah pedal. Now, I've heard people tend to leave their wah sort of in the middle, half-cocked, to produce some weird sound. Well my wah isn't able to do that and I was wondering why. It's either all the way up or all the way down, but it never stays in between. It just falls right back to the bottom. I noticed on the little chain looking thing some white sticky stuff but I'm not really sure what I should do or use to fix this.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Quote by EncoreBlade
I have a question about my wah pedal. Now, I've heard people tend to leave their wah sort of in the middle, half-cocked, to produce some weird sound. Well my wah isn't able to do that and I was wondering why. It's either all the way up or all the way down, but it never stays in between. It just falls right back to the bottom. I noticed on the little chain looking thing some white sticky stuff but I'm not really sure what I should do or use to fix this.

the white sticky stuff is normal.

does your wah have an allen key screw in the back like this?

if so, get an allen key in there and that will adjust the tension. lefty loosy righty tighty.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
the white sticky stuff is normal.

does your wah have an allen key screw in the back like this?

if so, get an allen key in there and that will adjust the tension. lefty loosy righty tighty.

Ah ok. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Hey guys, I'm in the process of building a pedal board setup. By building I mean buying all the required tools (pedals, power source, pedal board) HOWEVER, I'm curious if there's a certain method to setting up the train, or if it is just preference or even just a feel out thing to make it perfect for the player ?