Page 3 of 12
Quote by chiplin
Hey guys, I'm in the process of building a pedal board setup. By building I mean buying all the required tools (pedals, power source, pedal board) HOWEVER, I'm curious if there's a certain method to setting up the train, or if it is just preference or even just a feel out thing to make it perfect for the player ?

If it doesn't explode or sound bad, you're fine. It's all down to experimentation.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
There are a couple of thought on placement of pedals. Most people set it up like this:

Wah or EQ -> overdrive/distortion/fuzz -> modulation pedals (chorus, flanger etc) -> delay -> amp.

But like said, try out different orders/combinations, use your ears (listen to it) and your brain (think about it; do you want to distort a flanged sound, or flange your distorted sound).
Hey guys. I'm really new to this, so sorry if I sound like an idiot here.

I've been playing guitar for just over a year and a half, and I've been getting really into it. I purchased several pedals a while back, and I'm getting sick of their batteries dying. I've also been wanting to start a band or something, and thus I want a power supplier so I don't have to buy new batteries all the time. Some of my pedals (my Boss pedal for instance) claim to require their own brand of adaptor - do I need to do this? I'm looking for a power supplier that will work for all of my pedals, and is hopefully reasonably priced (let's say under $200) with room for a reasonable amount of pedals. I currently have:
-Boss DS-1 distortion pedal (I basically only use it for Nirvana-type stuff but eh)
-Ibanez TS9dx turbo tubescreamer
-EH Big Muff Pi w/ tone wicker
-EH Small Clone chorus pedal

I also intend to buy at some point:
-Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q
-Digitech Whammy (I'd like a bit of a White Stripes sound)
-possibly a noise gate of some kind if I need one

I play a Squier Jagmaster (yes squier i know, but i actually really like it) and run it through a Peavey Valveking 112, which I'm actually thinking of selling and replacing. I'm not really a fan of the tone of its natural distortion - I prefer my pedals. Feel free to tell me if I'm being an idiot - I just want to use my pedals instead for alternative, blues rock, funk, and other stuff.

But yeah - this is probably an ignorant question, but is there a power supplier that will work for all of these pedals? All the ones that I own are nine-volt, if it helps. I don't have a job at the moment, and I'm still in high school, so cheaper would be better, but I'm willing to spend money (even if I have to wait a little while into the future) if it's really worth it.

One last question - is it normal for all of my sound to occasionally completely shut off when the wires connecting my daisychain of pedals wiggle a bit? I think my chorus pedal is to blame, but I'm not sure if it's broken, or if it's all of them, or if this is normal, or what.
okay so.

the reason brands say they need the same brand power supply is to sell more of their own stuff. all the pedals you have will be fine on the same supply.

you should be okay with a one-spot power supply and daisy chaining all the pedals on that. its the cheapest option and seeing as you are new to pedals its possibly the best. once you build a proper pedal board and such you should invest in a power brick of some sort, but i dont think its hugely vital now.

all the pedals should be fine on a 1-spot minus the old whammys. if you buy the new one i believe it runs off 9vdc.

hopefully that covers it.
mojostompboxes.com
All of that should work on a One Spot as Tim said. But, about the Whammy, run any generation Whammy you get off of a different power supply away from the One Spot. When I add my DT into the One Spot with my other pedals it gets noisy, but once it gets plugged into it's own separate adapter, it's noiseless. So invest in a One Spot and a Boss PSA adapter and you'll be fine and way under budget, of course, if you get a Whammy in the first place.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Last edited by bassmastamitch at Jul 30, 2012,
Quote by NickZimmer
One last question - is it normal for all of my sound to occasionally completely shut off when the wires connecting my daisychain of pedals wiggle a bit? I think my chorus pedal is to blame, but I'm not sure if it's broken, or if it's all of them, or if this is normal, or what.

No, this isn't normal.

There's really only a couple of culprits. It's either the patch cable(s) or connector(s) of your pedal(s). Try each pedal, one at a time, jiggling the connection. If it happens on multiple pedals it's probably the cable -- try a different cable. If it ends up being just one pedal it'll most likely just be the input or the output. Figure out which it is -- that'll be what you want to repair.

But yeah, you might find it's the cable from your guitar that plugs into your pedal chain. That would make everything just sort of "cut out" for a moment too...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
nailed it ^
troubleshoot like that and you should work it out.

Quote by bassmastamitch
All of that should work on a One Spot as Tim said. But, about the Whammy, run any generation Whammy you get off of a different power supply away from the One Spot. When I add my DT into the One Spot with my other pedals it gets noisy, but once it gets plugged into it's own separate adapter, it's noiseless. So invest in a One Spot and a Boss PSA adapter and you'll be fine and way under budget, of course, if you get a Whammy in the first place.

rumour has it the new whammy 5 fixes this problem. cant vouch for it personally though.
mojostompboxes.com
Oh, and I have a 535Q I'd be willing to part with.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Well, you say that...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
It's true. Has TB, better tracking, 9vdc power. Everything people wish the 4 was.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
It's true. Has TB, better tracking, 9vdc power. Everything people wish the 4 was.

I can vouch for this. I've used my V with the One Spot with no problems.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by greeny23
Has TB, better tracking, 9vdc power.

The DT has all of that too. The only thing the V has is switchable between classic and polyphonic, where the DT is only polyphonic, and the V has no drop tune section.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Have any of you had any experience with the Ibanez Jemini? What's your impression on it as a standalone distortion/OD pedal, not as a Vai-tone pedal? I'm trying to find one for $100-120 shipped. Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Straight from the other pedalboard thread, my mistake for putting it in the wrong thread

Hey guys I'm looking for an angry,
aggressive fuzz
My budget is around 60 pounds
(around US $100) and I live in the uk.
I'm not afraid to go used, and it has
to be true bypass. Thanks in advance
guys
]
^^ never used one. never heard much good though..

^ i've made a few Devi Ever Hyperions, great standard fuzz with a heap of balls for that price. Or something Shin-Ei based if you want velcro.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
^^ never used one. never heard much good though..

^ i've made a few Devi Ever Hyperions, great standard fuzz with a heap of balls for that price. Or something Shin-Ei based if you want velcro.

By velcro what do you mean?
Also, shipping to the UK plus fuzz for 100 dollars? If so, more stuff may be ordered from you
]
Quote by falcon1439
By velcro what do you mean?
Also, shipping to the UK plus fuzz for 100 dollars? If so, more stuff may be ordered from you

im in Paris at the moment but i'll be back in a week. potentially could do it for $100AUD shipped though yeah.

by velcro i mean like the sound of velcro being ripped. youtube clips of the Shin Ei Companion FY-2.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
im in Paris at the moment but i'll be back in a week. potentially could do it for $100AUD shipped though yeah.

by velcro i mean like the sound of velcro being ripped. youtube clips of the Shin Ei Companion FY-2.

I have no money whatsoever now but when I'm at my gear fund target (ie ages away ) I'll contact you. And thanks for the velcro info, I'll check out the youtube clips when I'm back from holiday
]
Serious question.

Where in my pedal chain should I put an eq pedal?

The amp I'm concerned with has no loop.

My chain is tuner, wah, od, comp, od, chorus, reverb, delay.

I realize it's one of those things that I need to try it in a few places and see where it sounds best but looking for thoughts here.

Thanks.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
personally i thought that you'd put it aver overdrive to shape the overdriven sound
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
^ yeah most likely (or after all dirt pedals if you're using several)

i think i just run mine at the end of the chain when i use it, though not a whole heap of thought went into that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
wanna EQ yo guitar, put it first.

wanna eq your pedals. put it last.
mojostompboxes.com
i may be building my first pedal board soon, most probably build it out of wood, now i was wondering:
is it a good idea to get a power suply for each pedal i get ( same brand of the pedal) and just use a multiplug? or am i better off with the ideas you mentioned earlier ( one spot daisy chain, or voodoolab...)

i havent really figured out most of the pedals, but the one for sure to get it vox lil looper, and i already have a vox wah pedal.

ill be coming back for you're help if i start the build
Quote by Metalloy
i may be building my first pedal board soon, most probably build it out of wood, now i was wondering:
is it a good idea to get a power suply for each pedal i get ( same brand of the pedal) and just use a multiplug? or am i better off with the ideas you mentioned earlier ( one spot daisy chain, or voodoolab...)

i havent really figured out most of the pedals, but the one for sure to get it vox lil looper, and i already have a vox wah pedal.

How many pedals are you planning on getting? A One Spot is a good power supply that works with 90% of pedals on the market (plus has adapters for plugs that aren't centre negative). But if you are getting expensive pedals and plan on gigging I would definitely go with a Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 or a Carl Martin Pro Power.
distortion, overdrive, loop, wah, delay, reverb, noise.gate iguess, eq , boost.

but not all from the beginning.

i have washburn wi65pro
vox ac4t
Quote by Metalloy

personally i use a godlyke power all right now but will but upgrading to a pedal power 2 because it has the isolated outputs and different voltages for powering all my pedals. getting a dedicated power supply for each pedal just makes a messy board, and is possibly more expensive than getting a single high quality power supply
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Yeah I don't even know if I need one. I have to try my overdrives with the studio 15 before I start worrying about it. It very classic sounding, which is good but for the more modern stuff I may get an eq if the od pedals don't prove effective.

I've just never had an eq and thought I'd ask where the best spot was.

Those look a bit above my pay grade.
Not that bad no.

But if one pops up cheap I'll check it out.
I am looking a for a delay pedal to thicken up my sound, and probably do more down the road with. I have a budget of about $120, any good recommendations?

I play mostly 80's hard rock stuff, but really like anything (Periphery, Eric Johnson, Clapton, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin) I just want an all around good delay pedal.
Hey I have a couple questions-
Firstly, I built my own pedalboard, and its kind of on the large side. I'll just say what it is to give you an idea of how big it is.
Wah-tuner-Sparkle Drive-TS9- Big Muff- Dejavibe- Vox Delaylab. oh and I have a 2 button footswitch. All daisy chain powered(which will change...eventually).

Now, the thing is... I can't find some sort of bag to put it all in, for moving it to practice and stuff when I can't use the car. Its about 1 foot X 2 1/2 feet. Any ideas on how to move it?

Second- to possibly make it smaller, I need patch cables that have a very small footprint space-wise. I am talking SMALL. And obviously don't suck and all that. I have looked into Solder-less but they are more on the expensive side. Any ideas?

Or, should I just drop the dough and get a damn pedalboard?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Look for patch cables with pancake plugs on them. I got a set of 10 for under $20 off eBay. They're solid cables too.

For the bag, try a gym/tennis/cricket bag. Something that's relatively long but has a decent width too, and most of those have a somewhat rigid bottom too.