Page 5 of 12
Quote by bassmastamitch
Is it a 212 or 410 DeVille?

4x10. Sorry, was gone all afternoon.
I think I'm just gonna get the bad monkey to have, only $30 bucks if it's not what I'm looking for I'll get an 808 and try that.

On another subject, what is a Keeley mod on a TS-9? saw one on CL but it was $200. Also, this drew my attention.
Last edited by ihartfood at Aug 15, 2012,
keeley mod is just silver mica caps. value changes make it sound thicker.
mojostompboxes.com
for now ill be buying:
satchurator dedicated fird hard rock
JHv2 for hi gain distortion ( mostly metal) and overdrive
trex tonebug chorus+flanger
boss Ge-7 equaliser
and i already have a vox wah pedal.

for the reverb and tuning duties, can i just depend on my digitech rp150? i mean after all reverb is a digital effect right? do i really need a dedicated reverb pedal? will putting the rp150 in my pedal chain sort of ruin the signal? i am asking this because i can get a used reverb pedal, boss rv5, fir 150$ and i can get a behringer tuning pedal for 60$ ( boss tuner cost a little less then 200$ in here and the reverb about 300$ new)
so if i can save my self 210$ maybe use them in something else it would be great!
in theory the RP will be fine for those, but you will want the tuner at the front of the chain and reverb at the end so it might be difficult with placement.
mojostompboxes.com
i think i would place it at the end of my chain and when i want to tune i just turn all the other effects off, good enough?
Quote by Metalloy
i think i would place it at the end of my chain and when i want to tune i just turn all the other effects off, good enough?

Why not just put it at the front?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Because he wants to use reverb as well.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by gregs1020

to be able to use reverb and maybe other digital effects.
can i use the noise gate as well? equalizer? again this ia place at the end of my chain.
You can still use it, but the placement might be a bit off. Try out some different effects and see how you like them, you may have to tweak the other pedals to get the sound you want. If you're not 100% happy with what you're getting out of a certain effect, then you'll probably need to buy the individual pedal.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
i guess you're right, i think ill buy the equalizer as pedal, and justeave the noise gate and reverb and tuning on the rp150, and if it somehow didnt sound good enough ill buy a noise gate ( again if i need it in the first place).
usually where do we place the noiae gate in the pedal chain?
Noise gate goes before any distortions/ODs. But really, you can put it anywhere. Experiment with it.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by ihartfood
I'm looking at getting a DeVille. It's great for blues and cleans, some classic rock too. But the dealbreaker for me is getting a medium gain tone out of it, would an 808 reissue work? Read that that's what SRV used; his higher gain tone and some Pearl Jam is what I'm looking to get out of it. Possibly some Van Halen, but that's optional. Was looking at the PlimSoul too. Budget would be around $200.

i almost posted this in the pedalboard thread, apparently it's good that I didn't.

yeah a tubescreamer should work for the srv thing. not too sure about pearl jam.

won't really do vh (unless you're using it as a boost into a reasonably high gain marshally-type amp).

i guess you could always get a tubescreamer (or cheaper clone, or modded ts) and then another marshally type pedal for VH. I mean if the HRD + TS is perfect for everything apart from VH and the VH is optional...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by greeny23
Chances are if you enter the Pedal Board Thread, you will be abused.

If you've created this thread because you admittedly abuse people who ask for help in the actual pedal board thread, then why on earth is the pedal board thread still open?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
can anyone clarify for me the job of a compressor pedal? there's a line6 tonecore constrictor compressor pedal for sale that i can get for a 50$ that also has a noise gate, i'm thinking on going for it. Any commentd on that?
Quote by Metalloy
can anyone clarify for me the job of a compressor pedal? there's a line6 tonecore constrictor compressor pedal for sale that i can get for a 50$ that also has a noise gate, i'm thinking on going for it. Any commentd on that?

Compressors squish the signal down into one output level so no matter how hard you pick you'll get the same output. Also makes your sound much snappier and tighter. I wouldn't go for the Line 6 though.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by TNfootballfan62
If you've created this thread because you admittedly abuse people who ask for help in the actual pedal board thread, then why on earth is the pedal board thread still open?

come on kyle. you know as well as i do that the PBT, in its multiple iterations, has evolved to the stage where the vast majority of the posts are made by a bunch of regulars who like to talk shit, with the central theme being pedals and gear in general. we're a community, man. it's been an off-topic thread since the middle of mk1. sometimes random people post their questions in there and are ignored, and then get angry and abuse us. and then they bitch about our reaction. the same thing happens in any huge thread with regulars. outsiders who aren't willing to hang out and share a bit about themselves and contribute to discussion are generally not welcome. however, if they are willing to engage, then they're more than welcome.

the best thing about this Q&A thread is that it was posted with the notion that it was to be a serious and constructive thread with no off-topic posts. something that PBTers would definitely check if it was bumped, and be more inclined to make constructive posts, because it's our own Q&A thread. it's for people to post questions that they may not want to make a thread for, because they don't deem it important enough. and they may want help from people who know their shit with pedals and pedalboards.

tl;dr we love you, and please sticky this thread, because we're 9 pages in and we've helped a lot of people.

edit:

Quote by Metalloy

what adam said. a lot of people use compressors at transparent settings as tone sweeteners as well, though personally i've never been into that.

probably would avoid the line 6 comp though. and i don't know what the quality of the noise gate is, but experience has taught me that you don't cheap out on noise gates. all the cheap ones i've tried have been awful.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Aug 15, 2012,
I have a question regarding pedalboards...
Should I buy a Pedal Train jr or make my own with an ikea shelf (baring in mind I'm awful at DIY). I was thinking about the ikea shelf but I don't have anything to carry it in... If I bought the pedaltrain would I ever need another pedalboard?
Definitely a Pedaltrain. The idea shelf is okay if you want something to suffice until you can afford a proper board, but the PT's are sick.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by EnterShikari744
Should I buy a Pedal Train jr or make my own with an ikea shelf (baring in mind I'm awful at DIY). I was thinking about the ikea shelf but I don't have anything to carry it in... If I bought the pedaltrain would I ever need another pedalboard?

the gorm shelves are perfect for pedalboards (and dirt cheap). also gives you an idea of how big you want your pedalboard to be. and then you look around and invest in something a little more sturdy once you've developed an informed opinion about pedalboards.
Pedaltrain makes excellent boards. Those are always the first I recommend. The Ikea shelf board is good if you're on a budget, but it you're going to be carrying your board anywhere then I wouldn't recommend it, honestly (especially if you gig).

If you bought the PT-Jr, the only reason you would ever need another board is if you outgrew it and needed more space. Then you might want something like the PT-2.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
come on kyle. you know as well as i do that the PBT, in its multiple iterations, has evolved to the stage where the vast majority of the posts are made by a bunch of regulars who like to talk shit, with the central theme being pedals and gear in general. we're a community, man. it's been an off-topic thread since the middle of mk1. sometimes random people post their questions in there and are ignored, and then get angry and abuse us. and then they bitch about our reaction. the same thing happens in any huge thread with regulars. outsiders who aren't willing to hang out and share a bit about themselves and contribute to discussion are generally not welcome. however, if they are willing to engage, then they're more than welcome.

the best thing about this Q&A thread is that it was posted with the notion that it was to be a serious and constructive thread with no off-topic posts. something that PBTers would definitely check if it was bumped, and be more inclined to make constructive posts, because it's our own Q&A thread. it's for people to post questions that they may not want to make a thread for, because they don't deem it important enough. and they may want help from people who know their shit with pedals and pedalboards.

tl;dr we love you, and please sticky this thread, because we're 9 pages in and we've helped a lot of people.

I'm definitely not going to sticky this thread. If you guys want to chat, that's fine, but I think it's a bit silly having your "official" thread be an off topic chat thread, then creating this thread just so you don't have to deal with people asking questions about pedals in the actual pedalboard thread.

Anyway, I'm not going to discuss it in here, but anyone can PM me or move it to the WTLT thread.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by EnterShikari744

my personal opinion is that once you have a pedaltrain you won't need another pedalboard unless you outgrow it or get some fancy $500 boutique pedalboard, thats the route im going, is getting a pedaltrain jr. and its hard case because i gig and i have friends that use my board at gigs
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by Dave_Mc
i guess you could always get a tubescreamer (or cheaper clone, or modded ts) and then another marshally type pedal for VH. I mean if the HRD + TS is perfect for everything apart from VH and the VH is optional...

Marshally type pedal, such as what?
Now y'all see how much I know about these things.
oh ok, no worries

do you have a budget?

generally speaking, though, you're looking at something based on a marshall guvnor (so, guvnor, crunchbox, something like that), or one of the newer type of marshall type pedals which uses mosfets in place of valves (various wamplers, for example). Haven't tried the mosfet ones, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Yeah, under $200 for whatever I need. Bad Monkeys get a lot of love and I though I'd pick one up for $35. There's a silver Marshall pedal at the music store I was at, it said Guv'nor but wasn't that huge black box.
yeah i think that's the newer one, with a different circuit. the older one supposedly has the mojo, but i've also heard of several people who prefer the newer one so I dunno, i've only tried the newer one (and that was ages ago, i can't remember much about it). I do have a joyo crunch distortion, which is supposedly a clone of an MI Audio crunchbox (which is based on the guvnor, though modified), and it's pretty nice (though it's quite a hot-rodded marshall sound, it sorta starts off at van halen and goes on from there). joyo also does a tubescreamer clone, the vintage overdrive.

I like them a lot, but i've been hearing a fair few reliability problems about them recently. Mine have been fine, though, dunno if i got lucky or what.
If you want Van Halen, go for the Wampler Pinnacle. It is the brown sound in a box. I'm on the verge of buying it, but I'm going to Portland in a week or so to try it out at Pro Guitar Shop before I buy.

We might end up with the same setup, dude
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by ihartfood
On my list to try now are the Guvnor, Crunchbox or Joyo, and a Tubescreamer and an OCD. Thanks for the suggestions

not sure an ocd has enough gain or is tight enough for van halen (also can be quite bassy/dark, which again isn't really what you want for vh). obviously if you can find one to try easily you might as well. But if you can't and you're ordering blind, not sure i'd bother. it's more of a vintage type marshall overdrive.

joyo also does a clone of it the ultimate drive.
Quote by bassmastamitch
We might end up with the same setup, dude

Haha, yeah. Except mine has a sexier name, DeVilleeeeee

I only thought bout the OCD cause it gets a lot of hype, haha.
hype doesn't mean everything, only alittle bit. ever heard of the klon? thats hype gone wild
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
yeah saw one a few days ago while browsing Craiglist and it was $1400, I literally yelled out What the F*ck? Hype as in reputable recommendations, not like a GC sales pitch type Hey this Line6 is really popular buy it now

Whoa, look what I found! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyc210ZNeGQ how convenient!
Last edited by ihartfood at Aug 15, 2012,
Quote by ihartfood
Whoa, look what I found! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyc210ZNeGQ how convenient!

I'm wanting the smaller one. I already have a Bad Monkey, so I don't need a boost.

That or the Plextortion, or an SC2, or a Solid Gold Superdrive, or a JHS Angry Charlie. I'm psyched to go to PGS.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter