I would like to invest in a new guitar, and I want either a 7 or an 8 stringed beast. Obviously 7s are easier to find and cheaper (for a decent one) but will I be satisfied? Or will I always be wishing I had just that one extra string? Likewise, 8s are monstrous but will the extra string get in the way when I'm not using it? Or will I have to pay a considerable amount more for it to be of good quality?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Myself, i had the same question back in februari.
And i stumbled upon rondomusic.com.
Selling semi custom 7's and 8's, The low price diffrence pulled me over to getting a 8 string, even tough i have to wait untill september untill my guitar will start it's journey across the world to me.

Despite low cost, these guitars seem to be pretty good.

But despite recomending rondo music, i would say that the price diffrence bitween 7's and 8's is small. I basicly live in a local guitar store and they have a schecter omen 8 wich is in for 400 euro's and most 7 strings start around 600-700. So on the lower price guitars somehow you can get a decent 8 string checter (i have heard the neck joint is really clumbsy and the guitar is pretty disturbingly heavy tough).

Also, just go to a store and try EVERY guitar. it's fun, you piss the shop owner off and you will have fun. Did i tell you about the fun you get from pissing shop owners off?
Quote by dodo4hire
Myself, i had the same question back in februari.
And i stumbled upon rondomusic.com.
Selling semi custom 7's and 8's, The low price diffrence pulled me over to getting a 8 string, even tough i have to wait untill september untill my guitar will start it's journey across the world to me.

Despite low cost, these guitars seem to be pretty good.

But despite recomending rondo music, i would say that the price diffrence bitween 7's and 8's is small. I basicly live in a local guitar store and they have a schecter omen 8 wich is in for 400 euro's and most 7 strings start around 600-700. So on the lower price guitars somehow you can get a decent 8 string checter (i have heard the neck joint is really clumbsy and the guitar is pretty disturbingly heavy tough).

Also, just go to a store and try EVERY guitar. it's fun, you piss the shop owner off and you will have fun. Did i tell you about the fun you get from pissing shop owners off?

I'd disagree with the bold entirely. Ibanez, Schecter and a couple of others make 7's for less than that price.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I'd disagree with the bold entirely. Ibanez, Schecter and a couple of others make 7's for less than that price.

Then i must have misinformed myself, even tough i do know about the schecter omen 7 being around 30 dollars/euros less then the 8. (I think such a diffrence is insignificant to notice)
Quote by dodo4hire
Then i must have misinformed myself, even tough i do know about the schecter omen 7 being around 30 dollars/euros less then the 8. (I think such a diffrence is insignificant to notice)

On Thomman 8 strings start off at 425 euros
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

But are they of good quality if they're less than that? And what about the low-end 8 strings, what's the lowest price I'd be expecting to pay for a half-decent model?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Switching from a 6 string from a 7 string isn't too big of a change, but and 8 string is a totally different beast. If you're going to be getting an 8 string, be aware that playing leads on it is going to be much harder, and that it's primarily a rhythm instrument. If you're aware of this, and you really need an 8 string for whatever reason, get it.

If you just want the extra string(s) to experiment and screw around with, then an 8 string would be your best bet. If you want to have a larger range without too much of a difference in playabity compared to a 6 string, then go with a 7 string.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth
Switching from a 6 string from a 7 string isn't too big of a change, but and 8 string is a totally different beast. If you're going to be getting an 8 string, be aware that playing leads on it is going to be much harder, and that it's primarily a rhythm instrument.

I get why you'd think this and it is a kind of logical conclusion but I disagree. It's whatever you want it to be. If you're talking in terms of generic lead guitar, that's generally played mostly on the higher strings anyway, which aren't any harder to reach on an 8.

I had the same dilemma, and decided to skip 7 to go straight for an 8 string. I'm glad I did, those extra two strings have opened a whole new world of playing for me.

Go and try some sevens and eights out and make your decision then.
Quote by Mr.Feather
But are they of good quality if they're less than that? And what about the low-end 8 strings, what's the lowest price I'd be expecting to pay for a half-decent model?

Never played either of the two, I've heard good things about Ibanez's 7321 and the ARZ307 if you want a seven string though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Do you need an 8 string, or do you want one just to say you want one? You haven't said what music (bands, songs, etc.) you'll be playing, so we have no way of knowing which one you should get.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get whichever one you want, neither is any harder to play and you can find both in many different price ranges. I would say just get an 8 and you will love it. If you get a 7 thats awesome too, but make sure its because you only want 7 strings and not because you feel you need to transition between 6 and 8. Thats nonsense. You can play leads just as easily on an 8 as on a 7 provided you don't get an 8 with a super long scale. Stick to 26.5 and you'll have plenty of tension whilst still being able to get your shred on
Quote by Offworld92
Do you need an 8 string, or do you want one just to say you want one? You haven't said what music (bands, songs, etc.) you'll be playing, so we have no way of knowing which one you should get.

My bad. A lot of it would be for experimental purposes but I'm particularly into Animals As Leaders at the minute, with a bit of Periphery and Bulb thrown in. If I can play 6 and 7 string stuff fine on a not-too-big scale-necked 8 string then that seems like the solid choice.

...and yes, a TINY part of it is having one so I can say I have one, but that's minimal. I promise
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
i honestly think the 8 string guitar in metal music is going to be shortlived. as much as i love its users, examples of meshugga and AAL, i just always think that it will blow over. i would go with a 7 just because they've been around longer and you probably wont get bored of it.

thats just me anyway, if your really into the 8 string i would spring for that too.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Considering you want to play eight-string music... you will be disappointed if you can't play it.

It's just an extra string. When you play five of the strings on your six-string, does that low E get in the way? No. You just need to adjust to it is all and you can do anything on it. Since you obviously have a use for an eight-string, skip the seven and get an eight.

Scale-wise, it depends on what's comfortable. Tosin uses a 27", and Meshuggah have 30"~ scales. Tosin, however, does a lot more complicated chording, so the shorter 27" is great. I think that's the only thing you want to be worried about, really. I find 27" to be perfect for all the chording I do, and really helps for leads so the frets aren't so close. If you get a 25.5" guitar, well you'll just need thicker strings and intonation may be a little more difficult. Personally, I prefer thinner strings and complex playability, so I enjoy my 27".

Given all the stuff you want to play on it, I seriously doubt you'll get bored of it. If you tune it to drop E. If I had mine in F# standard, oh god how boring is that. Drop E is so much more interesting and intuitive.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221