Page 4 of 12
Quote by lockwolf
I'd go Saffire 6 and free amp sims any day.

could you tell me why should i buy the saffire 6 rather than buying the line 6 pod hd series? if i buy saffire 6 would it be ok to record with a cracked amplitube 3? (i use the mic to headphone jack converter as of now when using the amplitube 3) dont worry i like it i guess i would save money to buy the genuine one.
I've explained in numerous posts before that the Pod series (HD, Studio & such) have pretty mediocre preamps & analog/digital conversion for recording compared to other products in its price range (especially the Saffire). They are just kinda blah & the only thing the Pod series has going for it is the amp simulation whether it be the floor unit or Pod Farm (which, even then, there are differences between their floor units & Pod Farm which are quite noticeable).

As far as Amplitube, we don't discuss cracked software here
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by avengedscreamer
if i buy saffire 6 would it be ok to record with a cracked amplitube 3?

No, it wouldn't be okay.
I'm wondering:

I have a Behringer LX1200H V-ampire amp that I run my Guitar Port to via it's aux input so I can use my 4x12 top-slant (the BG412S Ultrastack) to playback/monitor my practice and such. I use Guitar Rig 5 mostly for my amp and such.

Recently my Line 6 Guitar Port (XT) had the same problem most of these things have within the first year, but mine lasted way longer... the pot went scratchy and now only works when maxed out heh.

I've had some tell me that a better interface such as the Saffire 6 or such would be a much better improvement. It would be this way because it has much better preamps and such. It has way better analog to digital and digital to analog conversions and such at this level of product.

My thing is I have a preamp already on the aux input I think... It has a db. knob (volume of course XD) above the aux input that lets me raise and lower the volume. I'm wondering if that supposed preamp will pose a problem if I get something around the area of a Saffire 6? As it also has a preamp set in it. I'm also wondering if both having preamps will cause the effect of actually loosing quality of sound? As I'm preamping it before it goes into Guitar Rig, then preamping it when it comes out and is in the V-ampire?

Either way:

Why is it that bringing a signal up to "line level" makes the quality of overall sound better? And what is "line level" anyways? Heh.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
okay no discussions about "cracked" softwares. im a software developer and i crack softwares lol. so i guess i would go for saffire 6. im gonna do like a guitar virtuoso alike album, what free amp sims would be the best? thanks
We have a sticky for that too.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
How much better are the pre-amps in the Saffire 6/Scarlett 2i4 than the Alesis iO4. I would really benefit from 4 ins, but if the pre-amps are that much better I'd settle for 2.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Its like the difference between a cheap Squier Affinity Strat & a Fender American Standard Strat. So, miles better
Hey guys!

Right now I'm using a DigiTech RP500 through a Peavey KB4. I'm quite satisfied with the tones I'm getting when playing through the amp, but my recorded tones aren't quite the same- its as if a lot of the punch and thickness that I hear live gets lost when I record. Ie, I have this boosted Dual Recto model patch that I'm fond of using....through amp, it has a very fine grain to the high end, a nice controlled sizzle. Recording it becomes a rough fizz which takes heaven knows how much tweaking to remove. Im using the pedal's built in interface. Would using a separate interface, like say a Focusrite Scarlett or an M Audio Fastrack show any improvement? Or is this difference in sound something I should expect in all modellers and save up for a better one instead? Micing up an amp is not an option since I need a modeller for live use, and keeping a real amp+mic+interface setup along with a modeller is far out of my budget.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 22, 2012,
It's because the Digitech is a pedal, not an interface, in reality it's a live pedal that has a usb interface feature tacked onto it.

The reason it sounds okay live is because of speakers and sound acoustics.

Also they're just awful.

If you were gonna get an interface I'd just forget the digitech and just use some of the amp sims on the sticky, they're a hell of a lot better.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's because the Digitech is a pedal, not an interface, in reality it's a live pedal that has a usb interface feature tacked onto it.

The reason it sounds okay live is because of speakers and sound acoustics.

Also they're just awful.

If you were gonna get an interface I'd just forget the digitech and just use some of the amp sims on the sticky, they're a hell of a lot better.

So keeping that in mind, would getting an interface for recording and keeping the pedal for live use be a better idea than say selling the RP and using something like a G3 or a POD HD? I quite liked the high gain tones off my band mates G3X.
I would say yes, interfaces > live amp sims for recording.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Out of those I'd say the 2i2. But it'd probably be worth you while to save a little and get the 2i4, the added functionality is incredibly useful. Pretty sure the 2i2 doesn't have pads which cripples it in a very real way.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Out of those I'd say the 2i2. But it'd probably be worth you while to save a little and get the 2i4, the added functionality is incredibly useful. Pretty sure the 2i2 doesn't have pads which cripples it in a very real way.

What's a pad?

EDIT: The 2i4 isnt available in this neck of the woods, next one up is the 8i6 which is a heft bit out of budget.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 23, 2012,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
What's a pad?

EDIT: The 2i4 isnt available in this neck of the woods, next one up is the 8i6 which is a heft bit out of budget.

Basically, it lowers the input volume to allow you to adjust the gain a lot easier and at higher volumes. With DIing some guitars, without the pad, its impossible to record because they are too loud going in
Having read my way through this very nifty thread, the Saffire 6 was looking to be number 1 choice for my requirements.
That is until the release of Scarlett 2i4, which Focusrite have released as replacement for the Saffire 6 model.

Question: Scarlett looks a bit snazzier than Saffire, and has a couple more features to it, but is the basic performance of it going to be equal to or better than that of the Saffire (are the preamps as good etc.)?

Logic would suggest that they would release an upgrade that is better or equal in every spec, but it doesn't always work that way, in which case I would be sticking to the Saffire.

Someone knowledgeable, please enlighten me, is the 2i4 probably/definitely a better option than the Saffire 6?
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by lockwolf
Basically, it lowers the input volume to allow you to adjust the gain a lot easier and at higher volumes. With DIing some guitars, without the pad, its impossible to record because they are too loud going in

Gotcha!
Well 2i4 isnt available here, so gonna get hold of a 2i2.....

Thanks for the info man really helped
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but I'm looking at my options for an interface, and the Tascam US-1800 seems most suited to me.

If I was using all 8 mic inputs at the same time to record a drum kit, how much RAM/whatever should I be looking for on my computer?
I'm looking mainly at Macbook Pros since we use Macs in college and I like them, but the best I could afford would be 4 gigs of RAM, would that be enough?

Also I've heard using the Tascam with a Mac can be problematic, does anyone have experience with this?

Honestly, if you can step up the money, I'd jump into something Firewire if you plan on getting a Macbook Pro. I'd look at getting a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. On eBay, they're between $350-$400 new for Buy It Now and less used if you don't mind going that route.

Also, with Macs, go used as well. They hold their value worse than new cars & specs wise between an Early 2011 (I'd go either that or newer) and the new ones isn't enough to justify the cost. Also, with RAM, you can just buy it online and do it yourself for much cheaper than what Apple charges to put in for more RAM (unless you get the Retina display but Apple ****ed a few things up when they made that IMO)
I'm not sure if I can afford Firewire. I would like to, but I don't know how realistic that would be, the Tascam is really just scraping what I could potentially afford.

eBay doesn't seem to have any used Focusrite Saffire Pro 40s in the UK store. There's only new with stock pictures, which I don't really trust after a bad experience with mobile phones, haha. I'll keep an eye out though. Something might come up.

I would go used with a Mac if I could find someone IRL willing to sell one, but again I'm kinda reluctant to buy used online. Either way, I definitely won't be buying the Retina display, though.

Buying more RAM online is a good idea, I think I'll definitely do that when I have the spare money.

Thanks

Totally understood with the eBay thing for the Focusrites. I'll just say from my experience, since half of my current gear has come from eBay, I've had no problems.

Is there not a Craigslist or some sort of online classifieds where you're at? Usually, there are some good deals on there, especially now that people are looking to get some extra Christmas $$$$

No prob on the RAM. I remember when Apple used to offer to upgrade the RAM from 4 to 16gb for $100-$150 or something ridiculous like that. Not only can you buy RAM for it for dirt cheap (around $50), Apple gives you instructions on how to do it.
We have gumtree I think, I've never really looked into it though. At a quick glance, there seems to be quite a few good deals.

Cool, thanks. Upgrading the RAM seems relatively easy. Do you think that's something I would have to do straight away if I want to record several tracks at once, or could I do without for a while?

You can get by with 4gb. Depending on what DAW you plan on using, how many virtual instruments you plan on using & how many plugins you decide to throw on your tracks is how you'll want to justify how much RAM you buy. Obviously, the more plugins & virtual instruments you load, the more RAM is eaten up and some get large fast (Like virtual drums can eat anywhere between 300mb to over 2gb of available ram).

A lot of people here get by with 4gb but its starting to look like 8gb is a better minimum.
Quote by Gerard_xD
We have gumtree I think, I've never really looked into it though. At a quick glance, there seems to be quite a few good deals.

http://edinburgh.craigslist.co.uk/

EDIT: Also as I don't know where in Scotland you are...
http://aberdeen.craigslist.co.uk/
http://dundee.craigslist.co.uk/
http://glasgow.craigslist.co.uk/

Quite narrow minded and ignorant of me to assume Edinburgh is the only place in Scotland.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 2, 2012,
Hi, I am buying a new audio interface. I will use it for recording electric guitar, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals and harmonica. I will use it mainly at home, but not only at home so it will have to be a portable unit that can fit in a ruck sack.

My budget it around £150 and it has to be USB.

I was going to buy a Saffire 6 but it has been discontinued. Though I'm sure they can be found if searched for.

I will most likely buy from GAK as they have good prices, a good reputation. Andertons is another option.

What are your opinions on the new Focusrite Scarlett 214 that has replaced the Saffire 6?

What are your opinions on this Steinberg one? http://www.gak.co.uk/en/steinberg-ci2-usb-powered-audio-interface/29440

I really like the features, but is it good quality? No free gift though...

GAK also have dropped the price on the Line 6 POD Studio UX2 by a large amount.
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/line6-pod-studio-ux2/18736

Any advice you can give will be much appreciated.

Recommend any thing else you like.

Thanks =)
Avoid the UX2, not sure about the Steinberg, the 2i4 is just the new Saffire 6.
The Pres & DI are pretty subpar compared to other interfaces in its price range like the Scarlett 2i4. You're basically paying for Pod Farm which has pretty much been proven to be a waste of money compared to the largely growing number of free amp sims out there.
On the 2i4, the 4 outputs are meant for running out to a DJ mixer and to DJ with. Realistically, you won't need more than 2 outs for a typical setup (Left & Right Stereo). If they weren't RCA outputs & traditional 1/4" balanced jacks, you could use them for running outboard gear like EQs, Compressors & Reverbs (You still can but thats a different story).

I'd stay away from the 2i2 because it doesn't have a Pad switch like the 2i4 has. Without getting too technical, the Pad switch lowers the input volume so you have more room to turn the gain up without the interface clipping. This is really important when recording DI guitars as the 2i2 doesn't have much headroom without it and has been known to hit clipping with DI guitars.
Quote by lockwolf
On the 2i4, the 4 outputs are meant for running out to a DJ mixer and to DJ with. Realistically, you won't need more than 2 outs for a typical setup (Left & Right Stereo). If they weren't RCA outputs & traditional 1/4" balanced jacks, you could use them for running outboard gear like EQs, Compressors & Reverbs (You still can but thats a different story).

I'd stay away from the 2i2 because it doesn't have a Pad switch like the 2i4 has. Without getting too technical, the Pad switch lowers the input volume so you have more room to turn the gain up without the interface clipping. This is really important when recording DI guitars as the 2i2 doesn't have much headroom without it and has been known to hit clipping with DI guitars.

Thanks for the information. Its very helpful.
That is my question from a few days ago answered as well, cheers.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
So guys my recording llama keeps making loud screeching noises when I try to plug anything into it.

What do?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Is there something I could get that would be good for making a serious recording with a band, but still use it in a bedroom to get the general riffs and stuff down?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Is there something I could get that would be good for making a serious recording with a band, but still use it in a bedroom to get the general riffs and stuff down?

How much are you willing to spend? You're going to want at least something with 8 inputs if you plan on recording a full band. If you've got a Mac or a PC Desktop where you can slap in a Firewire Card, get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which runs about $350-$400 on eBay.

Though, you're going to fork out a lot of cash on other things like Mics. Micing a drumkit isn't cheap since it requires so many mics to get a good sound and the cheap bundles are absolutely terrible. Even then, you've got other things like Studio Monitors, cables, software & such that add up as well.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234

Sounds like a Zoom R16 could be worth investigating - it's got the 8 inputs Lockwolf recommended, but is portable so can be used in the bedroom & easily transported to the rehearsal room for band recordings. You could also play it through the PA at practice so the other guys canhear the riffs you came up with at home.

Obviously all the mics etc are stil required, but that would act as your portable recorder for band stuff as well as an interface for your home recording.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Can I have some opinions on two interfaces. Features are almost the same, prices are both the same, brands are different, both are newish releases.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-interfaces/pid25545/cid712/roland-duo-capture-ex-usb-audio-interface.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-interfaces/pid25712/cid712/focusrite-scarlett-2i4-124-2-in-4-out-usb2-interface.asp

Focusrite, don't even think about it.

The 2i4 is the model that's replacing the Saffire 6. I should really update the first post.

Quote by DisarmGoliath