Page 5 of 12
Quote by ChemicalFire
Focusrite, don't even think about it.

The 2i4 is the model that's replacing the Saffire 6. I should really update the first post.

I have just checked the Dawnsons site and they have two Saffire 6's left as clearance at a reduced price of £119 (down from £149).

I can afford the £149 Scarlett, but saving £30 is always nice. But I also want the best I can get for my money.

Is it worth pay that extra £30 for a more up to date product?
The Saffire6 is a work horse and is still supported by Focusrite. I know I don't plan on updating mine anytime soon if that helps.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Every interface can potentially have latency issues. Considering the large amount of people on this board who have the Saffire 6 or other Focusrite interfaces (including myself) and the minimal amount of complaints about issues, I wouldn't worry about it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Every interface can potentially have latency issues. Considering the large amount of people on this board who have the Saffire 6 or other Focusrite interfaces (including myself) and the minimal amount of complaints about issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cool thanks. So do you think it is worth saving £30 and going Saffire 6?
Considering Focusrite already has released drivers for it on Windows 8, it works great on Macs & its their best selling interface, they'll probably have support for it for a while so its totally okay to go with it.
Kind of kicking around the idea of getting an interface to record from my Kemper, but not quite sure exactly what I'd need. Be nice to be able to capture both processed and re-ampable (raw) tracks. And honestly, since the KPA is already in the digital realm, wouldn't I be better off with something that has coax spdif in & out? Or for dicking around, would I really notice the difference? Also would need USB, my current motherboard doesn't have a firewire controller.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Well the first post has a lot of options. You can get a thing that splits signals, called a Reamping box.

BUT I've done this is the past instead:
Recorded through an interface into an amp sim. Turned the amp sim OFF then sent the guitar signal out of my interface and through my amp to record it again back into the interface.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Hi,

so I've read the first post, there is a question:
What about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? It's about 30% cheaper than the 2i4. Is there a major difference in quality?
Yes, the 2i2's don't have a 10db Pad Switch which makes it a little tougher to to track direct guitars and the preamps can't handle as much of a load.
What if I have a 2W full valve amp with lineout (Vox Lil' Night Train) and I run the guitar through the amp into the 2i2?
Quote by lockwolf
How much are you willing to spend? You're going to want at least something with 8 inputs if you plan on recording a full band. If you've got a Mac or a PC Desktop where you can slap in a Firewire Card, get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which runs about $350-$400 on eBay.

Though, you're going to fork out a lot of cash on other things like Mics. Micing a drumkit isn't cheap since it requires so many mics to get a good sound and the cheap bundles are absolutely terrible. Even then, you've got other things like Studio Monitors, cables, software & such that add up as well.

Quote by GaryBillington
Sounds like a Zoom R16 could be worth investigating - it's got the 8 inputs Lockwolf recommended, but is portable so can be used in the bedroom & easily transported to the rehearsal room for band recordings. You could also play it through the PA at practice so the other guys canhear the riffs you came up with at home.

Obviously all the mics etc are stil required, but that would act as your portable recorder for band stuff as well as an interface for your home recording.

Sorry for the really delayed response. I just got a microphone and have been looking into getting an interface again.

I think I might want to get something that can record drums sometime in the future and get the mics then. Not a live recording but to individually record each instrument and vocals and put it all together. Drums take like 4-5 inputs right, so could I get something cheaper than what you two recommended?
tl;dr: I want something cheap now that I can expand upon later without having to buy a whole new interface, so I can use said money on monitors and mics and stuff.

I'm not too sure what the pricing on recording interfaces is because it's not really my territory, but I'd say 300 would be a good cap but that's pretty flexible. I don't want to spend too much.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 26, 2012,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Drums take like 4-5 inputs right, so could I get something cheaper than what you two recommended?

Not 100% sure, but that sounds like a low estimate. It depends on how you set up the mics, but you'll probably want, at the very least, one for the kick, one each for snare top/bottom, one for overhead, one for room ambience, and one for the hat. If that doesn't put you over 5 inputs, the toms definitely will.
Quote by Cavalcade
Not 100% sure, but that sounds like a low estimate. It depends on how you set up the mics, but you'll probably want, at the very least, one for the kick, one each for snare top/bottom, one for overhead, one for room ambience, and one for the hat. If that doesn't put you over 5 inputs, the toms definitely will.

I've heard good drums recorded with 1 or 2 mics but personally, I like having at least 4 (Kick, Snare, Overheads). With my old band, we used 7 between Kick, Snare, Overheads & 3 for toms. Half the reason for 3 tom mics was because my old drummer had 6 toms and would do huge fills with them.

I recommend going with an 8 channel interface because you'll use at least 4 and possibly go more in a home setting. If you need more than 8 in a home situation, you probably know what you're doing :p
Yeah, usually with a good pair of condensers for overheads, you'll get a good sound from the rest of the kit. It really comes down to the kit you're micing & who's drumming. You want to get the most accurate recording of the drummers performance. If your drummer uses mainly kick & snare and doesn't do much in the way of major tom fills, you'll be fine with 4 mics. Though, if your drummer has 6 toms & does massive 4 bar fills on mostly toms, you'll probably want a few more mics.
I looked into the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and it says it has 20 inputs and 8 preamps. Is that basically 8 microphone inputs or is it a bit excessive?
Does anyone have any experience with the Tascam 1800 in the original post? I read a few things about it being unreliable and stuff.
I own the Pro 40, what it means by 18 inputs/22 outputs is that it's capable of having up to 20 in and 20 outs. You can add an extra 8 inputs via ADAT light pipe and 2 more via SPDIF (same as outputs)

As far as the Tascam versus Pro 40, I'd go Pro 40 any day
I'm not sure if I'd ever use 20 inputs other than a live recording maybe. I just want something with a minimum of 8 so I can record demo stuff in the future with a band without spending too much money now. I'm just afraid the tascam will break down or be unreliable or something.
My Saffire Pro 40 and Behringer ADA8000 are for sale in the Classified section

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579869

I had a Tascam US-800 on Windows XP and it was rock solid, but I have a friend using it on Windows 7 now and he said that it's given him nothing but issues. He too was thinking of upgrading to the 1800 for more channels, but he's since ditched that idea, cause he already gets latency recording 4 mics and can't imagine doing 8 with it, plus he gets pops and clicks, as well as dropouts from the drivers. Honestly, I'd probably stay away from the 1800.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well a saffire pro 14 has caught my eye. It's basically the 40 but $100-150 dollars cheaper and only 8 inputs, 2 xlr 6 1/4" I just am having trouble digging up information on it. 24 also looks good and it's in the same price range.

edit: I might get a 14 or 24 (which I hear has better preamps) and then when drumming comes around, getting an 8 input mixer to plug into the audio interface. Would this be a waste of money and not work properly or be ok?
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 29, 2012,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Well a saffire pro 14 has caught my eye. It's basically the 40 but $100-150 dollars cheaper and only 8 inputs, 2 xlr 6 1/4" I just am having trouble digging up information on it. 24 also looks good and it's in the same price range.

edit: I might get a 14 or 24 (which I hear has better preamps) and then when drumming comes around, getting an 8 input mixer to plug into the audio interface. Would this be a waste of money and not work properly or be ok?

You could try that but I think (and I could be wrong) you'd be better off with enough channels to record separate parts of the drum kit separately so you could control the mix better.

If you record with a mixer down into 2 channels you really have to nail the original recording. If you want just a bit more volume out of your snare or want to back off the high hat a bit after the fact you're pretty much screwed.

Then again stepping up to an interface with that amount of dedicated mic inputs isn't cheap and plenty of people have fun recording a drum kit with a simple setup.
I was thinking, maybe the studio pod/toneport recommended as budget could be replaced by either the UX1 which is like $5-$10 more to get a mic port (even though it doesn't have phantom power) or even better, the Steinberg CI1 which gives you a Mic/Line and a Mic/Line/Hi-Z for $10-$15 more. These are still well below the Saffire/Scarlett but well above the toneport for only a few dollars more.
My biggest complaint with putting the UX1 on the list is the lack of Phantom Power and how much that would confuse a noob. If I was a noob with no real recording knowledge and I found out that I couldn't use like 75% of the mics out there because my interface won't support it, its a huge turnoff.
Good point, but that could just be included in the pro's & con's for it.

The way I see it, if that has an xlr input & the current recommendation doesn't, then it's a bit of a step up for not much more money. I'd guess most people looking at the cheaper end of the interface market would only be using whatever mic they have lying around, and that's a lot more likely to be something like an SM57/8 than anything that needs phantom power.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Okay then, why not the Steinberg? That has Phantom power, and is only $15 more than the Toneport/Pod Studio. Also, I'm pretty sure most of said noobs buying an interface that cheap will be looking at similarly cheap mics, and they probably aren't too familiar with condensers either.
True, though most people buy the POD Studio series for POD Farm instead of micing an amp (Hell, thats the selling point of the POD Studios). If I had bought a UX1, I'd probably be using the direct in for guitar and want to use the XLR for a mic for vocals. Most of the time, a Condenser mic is better for vocals than a Dynamic. Obviously, you need Phantom Power for a condenser which the UX1 doesn't have.

We could list it in the Pros & Cons but it really feels like it would cause more confusion and we'd have to edit every other interface to say that it has Phantom Power or else we'll get questions.
So we just recommend all noobs buy an SM57. After all, it is the industry standard

There was a bit of talk a while ago about adding a section about mic's. If that happened, all interfaces could have a Phantom Power Yes/No bit, then the mic's section would just need a couple of sentences explaining that some mics need it, some don't, then you have a Yes/No section there too.

It's only a few extra words, most of which will be known about anything that gets recommended & would help the new guys decide what they need for a full setup.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thing is... I owned a UX1 and in retrospect the thing is garbage and I would never recommend one to anyone, the preamps are so damn muddy. With the original post I tried to limit things I know a bit about or have used in the past. The StudioPod was only put there because I didn't know any other decent interfaces in that price range, I'd really rather of put something else in there. If anyone has a better suggestion I'd gladly change it.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I think the GX should stay partly because its good at what it does. It $80-$100, comes with POD Farm and is decent for those only looking to do guitar or bass & only guitar or bass. Sure, the input isn't as nice as a Saffire 6 or Scarlett 2i4 but you're looking at $50-$100 more. I mean, if all you're going to do is demos & youtube covers, all you need is a GX.

The UX1 on the other hand, as I've already pointed out, is pretty bad.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Thing is... I owned a UX1 and in retrospect the thing is garbage and I would never recommend one to anyone, the preamps are so damn muddy. With the original post I tried to limit things I know a bit about or have used in the past. The StudioPod was only put there because I didn't know any other decent interfaces in that price range, I'd really rather of put something else in there. If anyone has a better suggestion I'd gladly change it.

Okay, then I'll just mention the one that seems to have been forgotten/ignored in my previous posts. The Steinberg CI1. 2 XLR/Jack inputs, phantom power, all that stuff is in it, just not as good as the Focusrite. Doesn't have MIDI but that's just another reason that the recommendation here is the Focusrite.
Whatever does/doesn't get recommended here, what we really need is for UG to create an area in the reviews section for recording gear.

I've said it before, and I'll probably have to say it again before anything happens, but I just think it's ridiculous that there are so many questions about recording kit but there's still nowhere for people to find reviews of it.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by chatterbox272
Okay, then I'll just mention the one that seems to have been forgotten/ignored in my previous posts. The Steinberg CI1. 2 XLR/Jack inputs, phantom power, all that stuff is in it, just not as good as the Focusrite. Doesn't have MIDI but that's just another reason that the recommendation here is the Focusrite.

The only problem I have with listing the CI1 is there aren't many people here who own/have used one. I'd rather list a product we all know works well & sounds good instead of throwing something up for the sake of throwing something up.

If the 2 or 3 guys that recently bought them would come back after using the thing for a decent amount of time (like a couple weeks instead of an hour or two like most reviews) and they said good things, I'd be willing to throw it up.
^ Maybe they don't come back because they don't have any problems they need help with
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Another Firewire/USB question: Do most computers come with a Firewire input? I've never seen one so I'm not sure what it looks like.
No, its actually gotten harder to find computers with stock Firewire ports. If its a desktop, you can buy an addon PCI card to add firewire. If its a laptop, you're not going to be able to add one easily unless you buy a Professional Laptop with an expresscard slot and that puts you in the $1500+ range