Page 1 of 4
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5
1,681 IQ
Ok im sure some of you have seen the thread in site feedback regardings UGs lesson section. What i propose is that some of the members of UG come forward to help sort it out. I have suggested in site that SilentDeftone, RHCPcure and the strat man would be good, if they are willing, anyone else thinks they are up to it let me know. At the minute i envisage the team going through the lessons section and identifying mistakes. I will oversee this, you pm me with links to problem lessons, if its small we can just edit the error, if the whole lesson is screwed i will get it removed. You guys can write lessons you think would be good, the rest of the team and myself will approve all lessons, those produced by the team and not. Any volunteers?
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
*raises hand* i volunteer! i may not be the best one in the forum but i would like to help and think i could be of assistance.
them_sell
BeingAN00bWasSoLastMonth
39 IQ
Can the lessons be regarding anything? i.e. theory,scales, aperrigos(sp?)
I'm on the left-wing
AxeAbuser#2
binned
31 IQ
^^ i should think so yeah.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
i would volunteer but i'm not much of a theory head.

great idea,the lesson section needs a lot of clearing up and i cant think of anyone better to do it that sd,the strat man and rchp.
Need.New.Sig.
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!
1,572 IQ
I'd be willing Beat, thanks for suggesting me.

Edit:
I also suggest Punkarse, and, when do we start doing this?
Last edited by The_Strat_Man at Nov 29, 2004,
ZoSo_420
Not Banned...yet
354 IQ
i wouldnt mind doing one on something, maybe reading sheet music or basic theory(but the other guys above me have that covered) maybe a little blues
Signature
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
Ok so far weve got:-

silentdeftone
rhcpcure
the strat man
zoso
bangoodcharlotte
and jof.

If punkarse is willing then id be happy to have him onboard, i think that will be enough then. When i have a final list i will start a thread in the SF, see if any mods wanna help out and get final approval from zappp.
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante
25 IQ
Yeah, I'm in.

I actually have a big series of lessons lined up on chord substitutions, what they are and when and where to use them, so it would be good to have some feedback and constructive criticism before I post them.

I'm glad some people are willing to clear up the mess in the Lessons section, and the new standards will make it a valuable asset, rather than a pit to trawl through or avoid.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
Last edited by Punkarse at Nov 30, 2004,
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
an idea....

what if this team proof read all of the lessons before they are posted on the site?
so they could edit info before they lead newbies down the wrong path...

just a thought
Need.New.Sig.
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante
25 IQ
an idea....

what if this team proof read all of the lessons before they are posted on the site?
so they could edit info before they lead newbies down the wrong path...

just a thought
And have <i>every</i> lesson submitted being posted to one of those people...

Not a bad idea, but how would you moderate it? I mean how would you make sure that the standards of all the 'evaluaters' are the same?

We know what lessons are there, and having a dedicated team of people reading through them and spotting mistakes should sort most things out. Once the existing ones have been sorted through, new posts of lessons are likely to be read through by at least a couple of people in the first few days they are up.

It is actually quite a good idea, but I can't see how it would work, unless someone devised a sort of 'holding pen' where lessons would be picked over before being sent through.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
Originally posted by Punkarse
It is actually quite a good idea, but I can't see how it would work, unless someone devised a sort of 'holding pen' where lessons would be picked over before being sent through.

surely something along the lines of the forum we have for UG columns would work?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante
25 IQ
Originally posted by Gurgle!Argh!
surely something along the lines of the forum we have for UG columns would work?
Yes, that's what I had in mind, but it's a big thing to ask zappp to create <i>another</i> new forum. Not as many lessons are posted as columns are.
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
ok final list is
silentdeftone
rhcpcure
the strat man
zoso
punkarse
bangoodcharlotte
and jof.

Ill get onto the rest of the mod team now.
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
could i change my mind?
im not good enough theory wise but i could be usefull as a begginer to complain about things the lessons don't make clear.
it might be hard for some of the hardened theory heads to get the perspective of a begginer.
Need.New.Sig.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
Originally posted by Gurgle!Argh!

Erm, that was my initial idea in SF.

I think more than just 1 of us should be reviewing these things, perhaps we can have a minimum of 50% approval of the people on the list (and if need be the Columns mods and other relevant mods - Beatallica, Bill43, Raindog, etc).
rhcpcure2826
Banned
20 IQ
well, im sure that the mods themselves would suffice as 'approvers.' Raindog, Bill43, and Beatallica will catch misleading info.

the columns forum doesnt get a lot of new threads, im sure it wouldnt matter if lessons were moved into it. A new forum? Seems a little drastic.

I have exams coming up, so i may not start until late this weekend.

Also, there is a newbie named 'Corwinoid' (i think?) that is rather promising... maybe someone can review his posts; he articulates his points very well and seemingly knows what he's talking about.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
Perhaps we should consider him for the 'Who To Listen To' list first just a thought? but I agree, he's been helpful to quite a few people lately.
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
Originally posted by SilentDeftone
Erm, that was my initial idea in SF.

I think more than just 1 of us should be reviewing these things, perhaps we can have a minimum of 50% approval of the people on the list (and if need be the Columns mods and other relevant mods - Beatallica, Bill43, Raindog, etc).

i hadn't read there at the time...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!
1,572 IQ
Originally posted by ZoSo_420
would you want to co-write one?

Yeah sure.

Originally posted by SilentDeftone
Perhaps we should consider him for the 'Who To Listen To' list first just a thought? but I agree, he's been helpful to quite a few people lately.

Hell, I'm not even on that list yet.
But yeah, I think he knows his stuff, that's for sure.

++++++++++

I like the idea of a new forum for new lessons being posted. I think adding into the Columns would make it a little more confusing there. Who knows, it's up to zappp and the rest of the mods.
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
I may propose a sub forum in columns, we could rename column 'Site contributions' or something, and then have sub forums, for columns, lessons maybe even other sections. This n00b guy, while appearing to know his stuff wont be on the team, i want people i know are reliable and are consistant posters on UG. Slash sorry but i have my guys now, dont want too many cooks to spoil that broth, if anyone drops out youll be my first port of call, and you can still contribute lessons etc.

Right now guys what i would like you to do is trawl through the lessons section and pick up any majorly flawed lessons, and i mean majorly, when youve identified a few pm me the links, its up to you guys how you divvy up the lessons section and who does what.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
I had some time, so here's the Beginners section:

For Beginners

What Guitar Is Really About
Trash
Covers CAGED chords. Should've been a Column if anything. Trash this one.

Harmonics For Beginners
Covers Natural Harmonics well, needs improvement on description of Pinch Harmonics. Add to this one.

Playing By The Numbers
Good idea w/examples. Not the best explanation, and definitely shouldn't be in Beginners section. Also neglected to establish a difference between scale degrees and chords (did not use roman numerals). Also assumes prior theoretical knowledge about chord formation. Perhaps we could move this one.

Barre Chord Forms
Trash
Duplicate Lesson, can be found in Chords section.

What Is A Capo?
Good lesson, save.

Ear Training
Good lesson, the comments need to be edited though. Keep it.

Playing The Guitar - Step by Step
Trash
Decent lesson, but I feel it's relatively unnecessary. I'd trash it, but someone else should give their opinion IMO.

Tuning Your Guitar
Good lesson, uses "5th fret" method. I'd recommending tuning to your A string rather than low E, but that's not very important Keep this one.

Bass Tabs Template
Trash
Someone copy/pasted this. Trash this.

Guitar Tabs Template
Trash
Same as Bass Template. Trash it.

Guide To Tab Notation
Very comprehensive lesson. Keep!

Tablatures Definitions
Similar idea to above lesson, but this one explains how to do techniques. I'd keep/combine the two.

Sliding Technique
Covers using a (metal) slide, not the technique of using your finger to slide. Uses STH as an example - wtf? I didn't think a slide was used in that solo? anyways, it doesn't specifically say that you should not push down all the way when using a slide. Could be edited a little to be a good lesson (along with a title change).

Reading Guitar Tablature II
We already have a lesson like this, although this was well explained also.

Tuning Your Guitar By Ear
Trash
Explains technique well, but there's already a lesson on this and he doesn't explain how to tell if it's in/out of tune. I'd throw it away.

Harmonic Tuning
Good article, keep.

Set Up For Floyd Rose
I don't know anything about Floyd Roses (I have a Tune-O-Matic bridge on my Epi), but this article seemed decent. Maybe someone else should give it a once-over, but I think it's a keeper.
Last edited by SilentDeftone at Dec 5, 2004,
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante
25 IQ
I'm a little busy, but I've noticed that several 'lessons' in the Chords section are just someone pasting a load of chords it looks like they got off the Internet. All by UG Team. All with no explanation or even an introduction. One is 'Basic Chords' and the other is 'All Chords'

One of these threads is 5 star rated and keepable (although the lack of an introduction makes it seem a little cold). The second similar thread (by the same bloke) has less chords and also has no introduction.

I say, scrap one and keep the other(with intro added), <i>or</i> scrap both. Do lists of chords make a lesson? I'm not sure.
Last edited by Punkarse at Dec 1, 2004,
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
ok guys, well the ones that should be deleted totally keep a note of, when we have a comprehensive list i'll talk to zappp and see what he says. The ones that need a litte poilish, well get polishing, ha ha.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
I think this "UG Team" character is stealing lessons from other sites, as it has different names for authors on each lesson.
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
Dont worry about the UG team thing, thats back room staff who get lessons from other sources, legally i might add, its zappp or one of his backroom staff.
rhcpcure2826
Banned
20 IQ
S.D., I read your post, but is that how this whole thing works? I was under the impression that we ourselves edit the lessons. I feel that it'd be more beneficial (and yes, slightly harder work) if this was conducted that way. Unless you are already on the same page as I.

SUGGESTION: Maybe the editors can take lessons that are not 'trashable,' but in need of heavy fixing, and create threads in the Column's forum showing original and editted versions. That'd most likely be the most organized way to conduct this, IMO.
beatallica_fan
1,681 IQ
Originally posted by rhcpcure2826
S.D., I read your post, but is that how this whole thing works? I was under the impression that we ourselves edit the lessons. I feel that it'd be more beneficial (and yes, slightly harder work) if this was conducted that way. Unless you are already on the same page as I.

SUGGESTION: Maybe the editors can take lessons that are not 'trashable,' but in need of heavy fixing, and create threads in the Column's forum showing original and editted versions. That'd most likely be the most organized way to conduct this, IMO.

Yep i think thats how it will work, we will use this thread for now, we may not even get a forum to ourselves. I cant give you access to edit the lessons directly so youll just have to resubmit, but let me know before you do, i'll talk to zappp about the best way to replace faulty lessons so we dont have double lessons.
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!
1,572 IQ
Here's a few lessons I thought were garbage. I don't have much time today to major poring over. I might just look over an entire section like SD did and comment on each, if I have the time. I think each section should be given to a member of this lessons team (someone stated that earlier, I'm just backing it up). That way each of us has like 2 - 3, or we could all look at each individual.

The Lessons!
Blues Chords
Well, this one was actually a lesson by me, before I knew what I was talking about. It probably should be trashed, or completely reiterated. Not very good, in fact, it's bad.

C Major Scales
Sure, the key is in C major, but it's a bunch of modal patterns. It doesn't really incorporate how to use them either (the description said it would). The fact that it only shows scales in C is pretty limitting in itself. There should be more added about the modes because that is all he talks about. It needs a lot of work, and more specifically it needs more than one key.

Full Pentatonic Scale Minor
It just needs rewording and reworking. F pentatonic minor does not equal Gb major...at all. That needs to be changed. There also needs to be added theory behind the minor pentatonic. The different patterns in there are good, but like earlier, they need to be in a nonspecific key arrangement.

Minor Pentatonic Scales
Aha! There's the nonspecific scale charts! Now, just add the theory and ditch the one above.

Naming Chords
Wow, this one has potential, but a lot needs to be added. It gets a bit intertangled inside there. It needs more extensions, diminished and augmented need to be covered , it needs the alterations. It just needs more. Like I said earlier, it has potential.

And now...
SD, Punkarse, RHCP, bangoodcharlote, jof: How would you guys like to divy it up if we do seperate the lessons that way?
Last edited by The_Strat_Man at Dec 1, 2004,
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
i went through each section and counted all the lessons in each. they are as follows:
Beginners: 18
Basics: 33
Chords: 25
Techniques: 43
Scales: 10
Soloing: 17
Bass: 16
Practice: 8
Styles: 27
Gurus: 2
Songwriting: 9

Grand Total - 208

SD did 17 from the beginners section, he missed one called Reading Guitar Tablature, I checked it out and its very short. not much information at all, so should probably be trashed since SD said there was already a good one.

Strat Man did a few, but i dont know other than the ones he said so ill just use those as a count for now.

208-18-5= 185 lessons left. divided by the seven of us is 27 lessons per person. or we can each do 30 so its all equal all over.

I dont know how you guys want to divide it up from there, but we might want try to get everyone into an area they are good at. as in someone who plays bass should do that section, and so on. i can probably do S&L pretty well as i know a bit about writing. lemme know what you guys want to do, and we can get working on it. ill read a few later, but i dont know how you all want to divide it up.
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!
1,572 IQ
I'll do the Soloing ones tomorrow to knock out 17, and I might be able to do some of the Styles section. This really won't be a tough project, but it'll take some effort by all of us.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
I've got chords, although I might be biased towards my own lesson

If I have extra time I'll take a look at some of the Basics lessons.
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!
1,572 IQ
^ Okay, sounds good. What does everyone else have. I'm glad this is getting organized. Techniques can probably be split into two if need be.
SilentDeftone
UG God
1,732 IQ
Chords
Beyond Basic Chord Types And Some Music Theory
Trash
Bad lesson, builds up to chord formation and then? ends. Trash.

Chord-Melody Guitar: An Organized Approach
Trash
I skimmed about 1/3 of this lesson. There was enough wrong information to constitute throwing it out IMO. Feel free to read through it if you'd like, but I'd just trash it.

Guide To Chord Formation
I initially learned chords from this lesson. Good lesson, a few diagrams are not lined up properly, but it should be kept.

Basic Chord Comprehension
Trash
Rather unnecessary considering other lessons. Get rid of it.

Open Chords and Associated Exercises
Covers Gmaj and Dmaj. Either expand it to cover CAGED or trash it. WRITTEN BY ZAPPP, has pictures (why can't we do that?! ).

Barre Chords and Associated Exercises
Same as above, only limited chords covered. WRITTEN BY ZAPPP.

Power Chords Part 1
Decent explanation, I'd add a diagram with scale degrees. Also his power chords for the Em key aren't notated correctly (the roman numerals have capitalization problems, and he neglected to realize that Locrian has a b5). Also needs to explain naming (e.g. C5, G5, etc). Will change soon.

Power Chords Part 2
Trash
Really short, nothing unique about this lesson. Get rid of it!

Poly Chords
Trash
Quite a bit of wrong info, poly chords do not have to be sequential chords in a key. Someone should write a lesson on poly chords, but this one isn't quite correct.

Barre Chords
Good lesson, needs to have the "Cmaj9" diagram removed.

Barre Chords II
Trash
Same thing as the first Barre Chords lesson, only less in depth.

How The Chords Work
Trash
There are already lessons on this.

Two Hands Chords
Trash
Really bad rating, it's kind of an unnecessary lesson. A lot of people were confused by it.

Guitar Fretboard - A Slice Of Chords
Trash
Some confusion, a bad way to explain chord construction, it's not using the root note's major scale + formulas, which is the general practice for guitar. It would be more applicable to piano.

Barre Chords Forms
Same as http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/barre_chord_forms.html ! Save this one, the other one is now marked to trash. Doesn't cover D-shape barres.

Basic Chord Theory
Trash
A few chords are wrong, Fm, C. Easily fixable. This is covered in another lesson though.

Basic Chord Theory II
Trash
Short lesson, covered by other lesson.

All Guitar Chords
A list of guitar chords, supposedly all of them. Useful for people who hate theory.

Basic Chords In Easy Format
Trash
Many are wrong.

Basic Chords
Trash
Already have a list of chords.

Naming Chords
Trash
Not all correct, claims root is always lowest (inversions don't exist anymore, apparently). Covered in other lesson.

Power Chords II Part 1
Trash
4 Basic power chord shapes.

Power Chords II Part 2
Trash
Is about playing other chords than power chords

Power Chords Extension
Trash
About how to play other things than power chords, such as sus2 or triads.

What Chords Are In What Key, And Why?
I wrote this, it's not up to me to pass judgement.
Last edited by SilentDeftone at Dec 5, 2004,
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
Ok, ive read all the Songwriting and Lyrics lessons. Here goes:

Inspiration
This is ok, not too much info here but its not stupidly written and could maybe be expanded a bit. That and fix a few grammar errors and fix the lines, because they are messed up. Doesnt need to be changed but could be better.

Rhyme (How Do You?)
Very good, definatly keep this one. Fine as is unless someone wants to touch up grammar or add a couple of things.

Writer's Block and Overcoming It
Well written, and it should stay. Nothing amazing but it is worth keeping.

Lyrics (Briefly Sumarized)
Keep it, short and a bit basic but it has some good stuff here.

Writing Lyrics (Things to Consider)
Good here. Well written and informative. Keep it

Repetition
Very good article, keep it.

Just Give It Time
Ditch this one, not that well written and doesnt really say much

Writing Songs & Lyrics Based On Experience
Not too bad, but not that good either. I'm not 100% sure on this one, probably get rid of it but im not sure

Alternative Techniques For Writing Music
Not very good, basicly gives random ways to make a song different by changing how you set it up. Delete it.

Thats it for S&L, i should be able do more tomorrow. let me know what you want me to do.

EDIT: forgot to mention, the first six of those article were all written by the same person, username benjmc. dont know if it is worth anything but i thought i would let you know.