Page 3 of 12
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I've actually never played Halo. I just don't find a game that thrives on multiplayer to be good. And I don't need to play Halo (or any other FPSs) to know that the multiplayer FPS community is fucking horrendous.

The fuck?

I obsess over Halo's campaign. The story is great to me, I've even gone out and read most of the books that go along with it. The multiplayer is just sort of there.

I will admit the community is shit though, it's much better on the PC versions.

And as for Halo 4, the game's multiplayer is not looking too impressive. They're trying REALLY hard to be CoD with it. Weapon layouts? Perks? Infinite sprinting? ****ing hell.

I really hope they bring back smaller maps, I can't stand how every gosh damn map on Reach was so big that you had to constantly run around to get anywhere.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Games like CoD, Battlefield, and Halo all have the worst damn communities ever; there's no damn respect.

Try Blizzard or any DOTA game's community. Far worse.
Quote by Zzzonked90

Try any game community, they all got elitist hardcore players.
Quote by Flying Couch
I thought 3 should've probably been the last game, and Reach definitely should have been the last game. I've been very unimpressed with literally every contribution 343i has made to the series: gamewise, storywise, everything. Not got high hopes for this, but I might buy it if it looks good after release.

Uhhh, why? The only thing they've done is Halo CE: Anniversary. Which was just adding nice features to an already excellent game. Reach was made by Bungie and was a terrible game that tried to change the canon of the story but failed horribly and should be written off as irrelevant to the series.

I have quite a bit of faith in 343i though, they consist of a bunch of members from Bungie, and most importantly, Frank O Connor, who was the main man behind the first three games.

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Quote by Gaiad
Uhhh, why? The only thing they've done is Halo CE: Anniversary. Which was just adding nice features to an already excellent game. Reach was made by Bungie and was a terrible game that tried to change the canon of the story but failed horribly and should be written off as irrelevant to the series.

I have quite a bit of faith in 343i though, they consist of a bunch of members from Bungie, and most importantly, Frank O Connor, who was the main man behind the first three games.

Well, first, 343 does not "consist of a bunch of members from Bungie." There are about eight people from Bungie working at 343; the number jumps to about 15 if you include contractors that worked with Bungie. For a studio of 250+ people, that isn't saying much. Ex-employees from other individual studios, notably Pandemic Studios, responsible for the Star Wars: Battlefront games, outnumber them.

Anniversary is little more than a graphical update. It was done competently enough, I guess, but I'm not creaming myself because they reskinned an old game.

They created Waypoint. Nice idea, underwhelming execution.

They were responsible for most of Reach's title updates. These are a mixed bag. Reach was a flawed game to begin with, but it wasn't completely awful from a multiplayer perspective. But rather than working with what they were given, and making Reach better at being Reach, they implemented sloppy hack jobs to make it more like the original three. It goes from being flawed to schizophrenic. It can't decide if it wants to do what it did originally (albeit halfheartedly), which is establish a nice middle ground between other popular console shooters (which are fast and arcade-like) and the original games (which have more in common with classic PC shooters, comparatively).

Story-wise, yeah, Reach was completely baffling. No arguments there. But I think I like the directions 343 has taken the series (with the Forerunner novels, bringing John back, and such) even less. I could rant at length about both of those, if you want.

I'm not saying they're a shitty developer. I'm saying that Halo 3 was a good place to close the series and move on to new things, and I'm very skeptical of a company that has been decidedly average thus far trying to continue from there.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jun 5, 2012,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So...basically, assuming I bought it, I'd have to endure tons of rudeasses before I got to people who told me "good game". Yeah...no...

There's not a ton of rudeasses on Halo. I was just telling you where the small amount of them stop. But you don't seem like you'd be a very fun person to play with so I don't mind you not playing Halo.
Quote by ChrisBW
I'm sure I'll love the game as far as single player/co-op goes, but I'm hesitant on the multiplayer. I really miss Halo 3 multiplayer and especially miss Halo 2. I can't really stand Reach MP although I'm cool with the gameplay in single player. Really don't like the specializations and the reticle bloom in MP.

As far as people bitching about the community, honestly Halo 2/3 are where most of my XBL friends came from. Never made any friends on COD, only a couple over the past couple Battlefield games. It seems to me most people who play Halo seriously (once you get above level 40 or so) are usually friendly and actually want to work as a team. It doesn't help that it seemed that like 80% of Halo players used mics when I was playing and it's rare to even be on a squad in BF with someone with a mic.

At least they aren't remaking the same game every year

I have nothing against COD, but I can't play it anymore since MW2. Too much of it, too quick. COD is still huge but I think it will go the same way as Guitar Hero eventually unless they do something to change that path.

It's like you're inside of my head.
Quote by moscaespañol
funnily enough, what he said still holds true to halo ce

Halo CE was great, there's only a few things that I would change if I had the choice.
Quote by TheChaz

EDIT:
To get this thread back on the topic of Halo 4, I don't know why the hell Microsoft doesn't realize that they have the Xbox AND PC gaming market in their pocket. I can't believe they're not doing PC releases for a series as huge as Halo.

Titles exclusive to the Xbox are incentives for new gamers/different console gamers to purchase an Xbox instead of pirating it for PC.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Exactly! And the 12 year olds (or people who act like 12 years by camping your corpse and rubbing their jockstraps on your corpse, etc.) made it worse. I despise a game that only has replayability value because of the shitty multiplayer and its even shittier multiplayer community. Games like CoD, Battlefield, and Halo all have the worst damn communities ever; there's no damn respect.

No. Nope. Never. Especially not Halo...

Only bad players and the occasional douchebag do that. People who are decent and give a shit how they perform won't waste their time tea bagging.

Anyway, I am very excited for Halo 4. I thought about buying a 360, if just for that game. I played Reach a lot more than 3, and I hope they keep the Reach controls.

XBL: BuildTheWall Add me, I'll be on in the fall.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Jun 5, 2012,
Quote by super_strat
Just got my giant Master Chief poster for pre-ordering! +1 nerdlevel

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by super_strat
Just got my giant Master Chief poster for pre-ordering! +1 nerdlevel

The last time I pre-ordered a game to get a bonus (Skyrim, I was told it came with a big cloth map.) Instead I got a little folded paper thing in the game case, I was not happy.
Quote by Thrill-house
The last time I pre-ordered a game to get a bonus (Skyrim, I was told it came with a big cloth map.) Instead I got a little folded paper thing in the game case, I was not happy.

Yep. My roommate got that, too. The map was very helpful, but it was flimsy and weak like an Argonian!
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Yep. My roommate got that, too. The map was very helpful, but it was flimsy and weak like an Argonian!

Damn straight.
Quote by devourke
There's not a ton of rudeasses on Halo. I was just telling you where the small amount of them stop. But you don't seem like you'd be a very fun person to play with so I don't mind you not playing Halo.
When it comes to this gen of fps's, no, I'm not fun to play with. Why? Because I despise them. They place so much emphasis on multiplayer that that becomes the entire game; it lacks any replayability without multiplayer. The only one worth beans to me is the Mass Effect series (despite the bad ending).

Quote by Zzzonked90

I have. And that's why you joined a guild in WoW. Or why you play D3 with your friends. Ultimately, the forums are always (no matter what game) full of fuckwads. However, if you know your way around, so to speak...you can find helpful and useful posts. You can also generally find great community support on your server, if you do more than get on general or trade chat.

Is it perfect? No. Will a noob know how to figure out the community right off? No. But Blizzard's community is actually much better than some of the other communities.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 5, 2012,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I have. And that's why you joined a guild in WoW. Or why you play D3 with your friends. Ultimately, the forums are always (no matter what game) full of fuckwads. However, if you know your way around, so to speak...you can find helpful and useful posts. You can also generally find great community support on your server, if you do more than get on general or trade chat.

Is it perfect? No. Will a noob know how to figure out the community right off? No. But Blizzard's community is actually much better than some of the other communities.

Multiplayer games are better with friends? Pretty much how halo is more fun with friends instead of the random people online? Who woulda thought.
Quote by soundgarden1986
I could have sworn this was already out on Xbox live and PSN for 15 bucks

I think you're thinking of "I am alive"
Looks like the topic of discussion has moved away from Halo 4, but idgaf because I don't really want to discuss it. I just want to make one post and then leave the thread forever

The Halo 4 trailer yesterday at E3 looked really good, but I doubt i'll get it as Halo just doesn't interest me. I've played every Halo game but never actually finished one.
Quote by institutions
Looks like the topic of discussion has moved away from Halo 4, but idgaf because I don't really want to discuss it. I just want to make one post and then leave the thread forever

The Halo 4 trailer yesterday at E3 looked really good, but I doubt i'll get it as Halo just doesn't interest me. I've played every Halo game but never actually finished one.

Why would you start all of them but not finish any?
Quote by Thrill-house
Why would you start all of them but not finish any?

This. That voids any of your arguments concerning games.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Thrill-house
I think you're thinking of "I am alive"

Ah indeed I was. That clears up a lot of confusion.

EDIT: And I'm kind of with institutions on this one. The only one I really completed was three. One was alright, two was kinda bad, and I haven't played the others. I'm the same way with Dead Space. I get half way through and then lose any interest I had in it.
Last edited by soundgarden1986 at Jun 5, 2012,
The only reason I kept starting the newer games without finishing the older ones is that I was trying to give the series more chances to make me a fan.

Also, I guess I haven't even played all of them. I didn't play Halo Wars or ODST.
Quote by institutions
The only reason I kept starting the newer games without finishing the older ones is that I was trying to give the series more chances to make me a fan.

Also, I guess I haven't even played all of them. I didn't play Halo Wars or ODST.

Have you at least gone on youtube or something and watched the endings to all the games? I'm not saying it's some amazing thing that must be seen, but it does tie em all together. Maybe seeing the complete story would allow you to like it better? Just a thought.
I prefer the Halo games online mainly for the variety in game types, even though it's basically run and gun, you've got stuff like Infection and the crazy custom games in Action Sack, which other shooters like CoD don't have. I always enjoyed doing co-op campaign on legendary with my friends for a challenge and a laugh, it just seems like a pretty laid back type of game when with friends, probably because it's not an ultra serious realism military shooter.

This being said, i'm pumped for Borderlands 2 more than anything, Borderlands is the only game that's been holding my attention recently but i've completed it multiple times over now and its becoming stale.

I'll give Halo 4 a go, i've been through all others, not gonna stop now.
Guitars
Sterling by MusicMan JP100D
Ibanez STM1
Epiphone 1967 Flying V (Ltd Edition)
Schecter Omen-8 (2012)
Amps
Randall Diavlo/RD100
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Marshall JCM2000/DSL401
Links
Soundcloud
Facebook
YouTube 1
YouTube 2
Yeah i've seen all the endings and everything, other than Reach.
My cousin used to play the games and I watched him do them. I'm just personally not a fan of the story. Or the setting. Or the characters. Or half of the gameplay.

The only link I have with Halo now is that I regularly watch Achievement HORSE by the Achievement Hunter guys on youtube.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Generally, I'm not that anitsocial. I just hate online communities where it's considered the norm to be a dickwad.

I wonder why I come to the pit still for this very reason.
Quote by HelpTravesty
I wonder why I come to the pit still for this very reason.

Because everyone is a dickwad to everyone. It's a sort of mutual bro-love type thing (With the exception of actual females, who I think we all just assume as males).

I digress. If you can't handle some trash talk or douchebaggery, I guess the gaming world isn't for you, anyway. It's going to happen. If you like to play enough, you get over it or get even.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by soundgarden1986
Ah indeed I was. That clears up a lot of confusion.

EDIT: And I'm kind of with institutions on this one. The only one I really completed was three. One was alright, two was kinda bad, and I haven't played the others. I'm the same way with Dead Space. I get half way through and then lose any interest I had in it.

Its because you don't play at 1 in the morning, with all the lights off and the volume on maximum.

the best part is when you have to go down stairs because you've got the munchies.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Its because you don't play at 1 in the morning, with all the lights off and the volume on maximum.

the best part is when you have to go down stairs because you've got the munchies.

My friend got like that when he played Doom 3. I never thought it looked that frightening, but then again, I didn't stay up all night, alone, in the dark, playing it. It would flip his shit sometimes though
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I haven't watched the trailers yet, but I know I'll end up getting it. I didn't really enjoy Reach multiplayer all that much, although the forge community was as rewarding as ever. Halo 3 was lots of fun for multiplayer, but I was usually always playing with a buddy of mine. Social skirmish and rocket race were awesome.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Haven't been a fan of Halo since number one.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by angusfan16

Most horror games just don't phase me anymore. I've grown up with them (had Silent Hill and Resident evil on PS1 since I was 6 or so. I'm 19 now.) so there isn't much a game can do to scare me.
Quote by Flying Couch
Well, first, 343 does not "consist of a bunch of members from Bungie." There are about eight people from Bungie working at 343; the number jumps to about 15 if you include contractors that worked with Bungie. For a studio of 250+ people, that isn't saying much. Ex-employees from other individual studios, notably Pandemic Studios, responsible for the Star Wars: Battlefront games, outnumber them.

Sounds like a bunch to me. Wasn't aware of the Pandemic Studios ex-employees, having star wars developers working on a Halo game is concerning.

They were responsible for most of Reach's title updates. These are a mixed bag. Reach was a flawed game to begin with, but it wasn't completely awful from a multiplayer perspective. But rather than working with what they were given, and making Reach better at being Reach, they implemented sloppy hack jobs to make it more like the original three. It goes from being flawed to schizophrenic. It can't decide if it wants to do what it did originally (albeit halfheartedly), which is establish a nice middle ground between other popular console shooters (which are fast and arcade-like) and the original games (which have more in common with classic PC shooters, comparatively).

I suppose this is something I've not seen. I was never impressed with the multiplayer in Reach, however I don't feel it's any different now than when I first played it on launch day.

Story-wise, yeah, Reach was completely baffling. No arguments there. But I think I like the directions 343 has taken the series (with the Forerunner novels, bringing John back, and such) even less. I could rant at length about both of those, if you want.

I was pretty hesitant about bringing John back too at first. But I do like the direction it's taking with the forerunner bits. They're not talked about a whole lot in the games to great detail. It'd be nice to get some action with the forerunners being a bit stressed. And I would like for more Spartans to be introduced, since I know there are still a few Spartan II's floating around. I can't remember, were they introducing Spartan III's into the story? Or was that just for multiplayer?

But as hesitant as I can be with some things, I'm a sucker for Halo and love the John-Cortana relationship, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
Halo 3 was fantastic. Great graphics and smooth gameplay.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Really looking forward to this. I've played every Halo campaign, except Wars, and enjoyed all of them. Definitely gonna buy. Unless reviews aren't good, which is unlikely.
Yay another multiplayer FPS for people to get hyped up over despite the gameplay being largely the same as all the other multiplayer FPS's.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by institutions
Because I end up getting too scared by the flood to play on somewhere in the middle.

ftfy
Quote by Gaiad
were they introducing Spartan III's into the story? Or was that just for multiplayer?

What is this?
Quote by rgrockr
Yay another multiplayer FPS for people to get hyped up over despite the gameplay being largely the same as all the other multiplayer FPS's.

Aren't most FPS shooters these days going down the CoD (Look down sights) path, instead of the shoot forever in a straight line wherever your reticle is aiming path?
Actually since Gravemind Cortana has been slowly going insane. If anyone is as geeky for Halo as I am, you already that Cortana is one of those AIs and it's already been tied into the story line.

Reach is actually pretty cool. ODST was hard as hell for me because it was more of a horror/survival experience.

EDIT: But Master Chief is still a visual rip off of Doomguy.

And I am a bigger fan of Doom than Halo.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Jun 5, 2012,
Quote by bastards
Actually since Gravemind Cortana has been slowly going insane. If anyone is as geeky for Halo as I am, you already that Cortana is one of those AIs and it's already been tied into the story line.

Reach is actually pretty cool. ODST was hard as hell for me because it was more of a horror/survival experience.

EDIT: But Master Chief is still a visual rip off of Doomguy.

And I am a bigger fan of Doom than Halo.

You actually get to play as Masterchief though. You don't get to play as Doom Guy.
Quote by devourke
You actually get to play as Masterchief though. You don't get to play as Doom Guy.

Wait, what? You play as Doomguy. He's just known as Doomguy because he doesn't actually have a name to get the player to sink into the character a little more.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412