Page 2 of 6
I would say any song that's a standard and socially accepted representation of the time period and the artists that created it, and nowadays even though they're good classic songs they hold no relation to the current time period or the artist covering them.

I.E. Stairway to Heaven, Let it Be, Imagine. Not saying that those kind of songs are the greatest songs in the history of music, and that it's taboo to cover them, but they were all written by very specific individuals to represent a time period in history.

For example Justin Bieber covering Let it Be at New Year's Eve, regardless of if it was good or not (never listened to it), should not have been done, because who knows maybe personally it does, but in the context of the actual lyrics of the song it held no meaning for him and it holds no meaning for the world today, whereas back when it came out it was a milestone a representation of that culture. It was more of just "Hey, I think I'm as culturally significant as the Beatles, I'm going to cover one of their songs."

TL;DR Just THOSE songs, the unwritten list of songs that everyone has shared in their minds that when someone covers them you can't help but say "What, they covered THAT?"
www.reverbnation.com/thepursuitmillerplace
Hard rock, blues, psychedelic, pop, something for everyone

Quote by Myfirstpubes
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.
Last edited by pursuit at Jun 17, 2012,
Quote by scorpsfan830
Anything by Ronnie James Dio or Chris Cornell, their voices are just too good.

I cover Soundgarden and Cornell songs at open mics and I usually get good feedback from them. I did Scream from his Timbaland crap album acoustically and people loved it.

EDIT: There's a cover of Burden In My Hand on my page... Somewhere, if you need proof I can do it.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Jun 17, 2012,
Quote by pursuit

I.E. Stairway to Heaven, Let it Be, Imagine. Not saying that those kind of songs are the greatest songs in the history of music, and that it's taboo to cover them, but they were all written by very specific individuals to represent a time period in history.

Uggghhhhh. Please explain how Stairway and Let it Be represent a time period. If Stairway represented a time period, it would probably have to be the Middle Ages. And Let it Be is just a song. I'll give you Imagine, but that just because I can't forget that abortion of a cover Perfect Circle did.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Uggghhhhh. Please explain how Stairway and Let it Be represent a time period. If Stairway represented a time period, it would probably have to be the Middle Ages. And Let it Be is just a song. I'll give you Imagine, but that just because I can't forget that abortion of a cover Perfect Circle did.

Stairaway-Regardless of if you like the song or not, and regardless of your favorite Led Zeppelin album, in regards to their career it was the peak of Led Zeppelin's fame, and it was the peak of 70's hard rock in general. Three years later the punk movement would begin and classic hard rock would be shelved until, well... Now and how ever long it will continue to be shelved.

Let it Be- It was the end of The Beatles man! It just sums up that point in their career, they were ready to let The Beatles fade away and continue their solo careers. And The Beatles breaking up wasn't like Nickelback breaking up, you're talking about a band that represented everything the late 60's stood for, with fans who had grown up and evolved along with them.

Those weren't the only two songs I meant though, the TL;DR summed it up

EDIT: I noticed your name is Zeppelin 71, and I'm a HUGE Zeppelin fan myself, so I imagine as soon as you saw the words "Stairway" and "Heaven" your brain raged hahaha
www.reverbnation.com/thepursuitmillerplace
Hard rock, blues, psychedelic, pop, something for everyone

Quote by Myfirstpubes
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.
Last edited by pursuit at Jun 17, 2012,
A song can't be off limits
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I agree with a lot of these, but I don't get why The Beatles should be off limit. Ive seen plenty of good Beatles covers done
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Bob Dylan is probably the only artist that has more good covers of their work than the Beatles.

Metallica is my answer, not because it is hard to improve on them but because the people who like doing Metallica covers almost always suck.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by caeser1156
I agree with a lot of these, but I don't get why The Beatles should be off limit. Ive seen plenty of good Beatles covers done

Who knows.

Bowie did a pretty good cover of Across the Universe, and the reception of it is so split. It either has people saying it's absolutely repulsive and terrible or saying that it's pretty great and a good example of making a song into something else. For most of his other covers, though, this hasn't happened. Just the Beatles one.

People take songs by The Beatles to heart I guess and they feel that any other variation of any of their songs is most probably inferior
Quote by palm mute
Bob Dylan is probably the only artist that has more good covers of their work than the Beatles.

Metallica is my answer, not because it is hard to improve on them but because the people who like doing Metallica covers almost always suck.

I'm a fan of BfmV, but they have a pretty shoddy cover of Sanitarium, although a lot of that had more to do with production than their ability to play it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Just throwing this out there, Aerosmith Come Together > Beatles Come Together.

And I don't like Aerosmith at all.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I'm a fan of BfmV, but they have a pretty shoddy cover of Sanitarium, although a lot of that had more to do with production than their ability to play it.

I honestly can't think of one band who has done a good Metallica cover

Even Mastodon sucked at covering Orion, which on paper sounds like it would be decent.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. There's so many little things that make that song what it is. Its hardly replicable.
Quote by palm mute
Just throwing this out there, Aerosmith Come Together > Beatles Come Together.

And I don't like Aerosmith at all.

Even Mastodon sucked at covering Orion, which on paper sounds like it would be decent.

These guys do, click here
Last edited by Thrill-house at Jun 17, 2012,
Quote by Thrill-house

Trivium basically is Metallica though. The screams are the only thing that make the two distinguishable
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. There's so many little things that make that song what it is. Its hardly replicable.

I don't know, I think these lads did a fine job. These guys on the other hand...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by caeser1156
Trivium basically is Metallica though. The screams are the only thing that make the two distinguishable

Which makes it a good cover.
Quote by Thrill-house

I liked that more than the original.

I really dislike Hammet's solos. That was much better imo.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I don't see why people cannot cover a song for. Especially if the lyrics represent whatever to the original artist. Isn't the reason why people cover songs because the songs have their own individual meaning to the person?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Thrill-house
Which makes it a good cover.

If you ask me, covers should try to stray away from the original. What's the point otherwise?
Trivium do a good job playing the same thing, sure. I love covers that do something completely different with the song, though. Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower is an obvious but prime example of this. A recent example is Chromatics' cover of My My Hey Hey by Neil Young. It's the same song but it has such a different vibe now.

Neil Young's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawk2cMTnGo

Chromatics'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSycSBYHitc
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Jun 17, 2012,
Quote by palm mute

I beg to differ.

I'm gonna say Black Sabbath. Never heard a good cover of their stuff.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V (Duncan Quarter Pounds + Hipshot Kickass)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by palm mute

Dark Angel - Creeping Death
Destruction - Whiplash

Those two are pretty good. Vader also did a pretty respectable 'Fight Fire with Fire', but I don't really like the original song, and the cover doesn't really do much for my impression of it.

Quote by oneblackened
I'm gonna say Black Sabbath. Never heard a good cover of their stuff.

You have now.
Last edited by Nietsche at Jun 17, 2012,
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I love covers that do something completely different with the song, though.

You should check that link I posted a few posts up. And that new Chromatics album is really cool. We've got it in rotation and I always play something off of it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Trivium do a good job playing the same thing, sure. I love covers that do something completely different with the song, though. Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower is an obvious but prime example of this. A recent example is Chromatics' cover of My My Hey Hey by Neil Young. It's the same song but it has such a different vibe now.]

You might like this then, click here
EDIT: ^ Back when I was a huge CoF fan I loved the shit out of that. =]

Quote by theogonia777
You should check that link I posted a few posts up. And that new Chromatics album is really cool. We've got it in rotation and I always play something off of it.

Will do. You usually have good music up your sleeve.

Yeah it's one of my favorite albums of the year so far. It's just so chilled and breathtaking.
Quote by Thrill-house
You might like this then, click here

That's not really even that different from the original though.
Quote by Dave Frenzy
list the songs that amateur bands should NEVER cover at gigs

these can be the songs that are just bad in general or are the classics that shouldnt be atempted.

Im going to kick it off by listing the 2 obvious ones:

• Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCZT-PYo7XY
U mad bro?
^Streetlight's cover of Just was fantastic.

As were most of the covers on that album, but that's just because I'm such a fanboy.
edit: to pagan

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Nietsche
Dark Angel - Creeping Death
Destruction - Whiplash

Those two are pretty good. Vader also did a pretty respectable 'Fight Fire with Fire', but I don't really like the original song, and the cover doesn't really do much for my impression of it.

I'll concede those two, I forgot Dark Angel did that cover. Still not nearly as good as their original work though.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by theogonia777
That's not really even that different from the original though.

I thought it was different enough to count, sorry if it wasn't.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't know, I think these lads did a fine job. These guys on the other hand...

Well that was interesting? Haha
Surprisingly the first one somehow fit. Not lyrically, but structure wise.

Quote by moscaespañol
^Streetlight's cover of Just was fantastic.

As were most of the covers on that album, but that's just because I'm such a fanboy.
edit: to pagan

Which album is that?
Quote by Dave Frenzy
Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy

Wait a minute, hold the phone. Their version is crap. That's not acceptable at all. If it doesn't sound like this, this, this, etc it's just plain wrong. Simple as that.

Quote by me_llamo_juan
Where does it say anything about amateur?

In the first line of the OP. You quoted it!
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 17, 2012,