Page 3 of 6
Quote by theogonia777
Wait a minute, hold the phone. Their version is crap. That's not acceptable at all. If it doesn't sound like this, this, this, etc it's just plain wrong. Simple as that.

In the first line of the OP. You quoted it!

Well, didn't read all that text at the start.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Which album is that?

99 Songs of Revolution Volume I

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by oneblackened
I beg to differ.

I'm gonna say Black Sabbath. Never heard a good cover of their stuff.

Pantera's Hole in the Sky?
Ugly Kid Joe's NIB?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by oneblackened
I beg to differ.

I'm gonna say Black Sabbath. Never heard a good cover of their stuff.

HIM do a good cover of 'hand of doom' but that's because Ville Valo is a much better singer than Ozzy.

edit:

I can sense the flames coming for me right now :3
^ My flame senses tingled but alas I am tired.

If there was one good Sabbath cover Pantera did it would be Planet Caravan
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Jun 17, 2012,
Any blues song ever if they are performed by a white person, its so rigid and boring.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jun 17, 2012,
I don't like Planet Caravan enough to like the cover, but the Hole in the Sky one I thought was good, didn't know it was a Sabbath song the first time I heard it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by losing battle
Any blues song ever if they are performed by a white person, its so rigid and boring.

lolwut

nobody should cover an allan holdsworth or steve morse song live. even if the person could play the notes, the tone will always be way off. at least for every cover i've seen of any of these artists songs (hell even guthrie govan can't cover a steve morse song well).
Quote by Dave Frenzy
at this stage I'd like to add

Metallica - Enter Sandman

I hate you for that. I've played that song and i sound just llke the actual recording.
Quote by Axelfox
I hate you for that. I've played that song and i sound just llke the actual recording.

lulz.
you're a stone fox
Quote by theogonia777
Fact: there are at least 1459 covers of that song that are better than the original.

A cover of that song is better than the original by default.

Edit: Guitarists that love Metallica are awful or mediocre 85% of the time. Fact.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 18, 2012,
Quote by theogonia777
Wait a minute, hold the phone. Their version is crap. That's not acceptable at all. If it doesn't sound like this, this, this, etc it's just plain wrong. Simple as that.

Dat Jerry Garcia version
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Axelfox

OT: Most anything by the Deftones.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Axelfox
Reggae,most of it is so repeative and stuff. I don't get how people can like a song that seems repeative.

got my daily iron intake from that post, thanks.

Last edited by moscaespañol at Jun 18, 2012,
Quote by Axelfox
Reggae,most of it is so repeative and stuff. I don't get how people can like a song that seems repeative.

There is absolutely no way this guy isn't a troll. Nobody can be like this.
Quote by Axelfox

You love Metallica so you can't criticize anyone's music taste.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Axelfox
Reggae,most of it is so repeative and stuff. I don't get how people can like a song that seems repetitive

Quote by Axelfox
deleted post already.

maybe if you didn't shitpost your inane opinions everywhere you wouldn't have to delete them.

Quote by moscaespañol
maybe if you didn't shitpost your inane opinions everywhere you wouldn't have to delete them.

It's been a long day,couldn't sleep last night at all. and today feel tired.
Quote by Axelfox
deleted post already.

well it doesn't matter though

everyone will still see it if someone quotes it before you delete it

which i did
Quote by Aays
****ing Adele songs.

Everywhere you go there's a new cover of a tool (or a twat) holding an acoustic and screeching out Someone Like You or Rolling in the Deep.

Yeah, can't even get a decent cup of coffee anymore without hearing that shit.

I'd have to throw in Hey Jude by the Beatles. Nothing against the song, it's just I've never heard a good cover of it.

Honestly, the only time a Beatles cover sounds good to me is if it's been significantly retooled from the original version, just because the originals are often inimitable.
Quote by Dave Frenzy
list the songs that amateur bands should NEVER cover at gigs

these can be the songs that are just bad in general or are the classics that shouldnt be atempted.

Im going to kick it off by listing the 2 obvious ones:

• Guns n Roses - Sweet Child of Mine
  • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

(If you happen to have covered any that appear in this list you should feel bad... unless it was a dam good cover)

edit:
Thought I'd make this list after headlining a gig tonight and the first support band doing incredibly bad covers of:

• all along the watch tower - Bob Dylan/Hendrix (Hendrix is better imo)
  • Come Together - The Beatles
  • Back in the USSR - The Beatles
  • Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy

amazing stairway cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZu7ilKC1ak
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
What artists need to do when covering songs is:

1. Take a lesser known song, not the band's big hit.
2. Do something radical to make it your own

there's a reason most people forget that "Hey Joe" and "All Along The Watch Tower" weren't Hendrix originals isn't "Wind Cried Mary" a Bob Dylan cover too?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Me and my pal are doing a favour for our friend and playing an small set at my friends wedding. We've got me on lead and him on rhythm and I've created decent drum backing tracks for a few of the songs that aren't acoustic.

We were asked to do Sweet Child and while I thought 'Hmmm' it doesn't sound that bad. Mainly because we're not trying to copy the version exactly and be a GnR tribute band.

If it makes them happy on their wedding day I'll do it and I think you should judge the version and not the song based on a hatred of a song just because it's liked by a lot of people.

Yea it's very cheesy, it's over played and liked by a lot of people who use it as their 'Oh yea i love rock music' song, but should it never be covered? Nah. If people have a good time it's fine. Just make sure it's done well.
Quote by Axelfox
Layla? White Room? o.O

I like those songs, but he's talking about blues covers. Like when Eric Clapton did 'boom boom' in the 60s or 'hideaway', it was very weak and bland sounding.

Clapton in Cream was good stuff though when they were doing their own songs.
For whom the bell tolls used to annoy me but I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Any song can be covered if its done well. Its not the song that makes the cover good or bad, its the execution of how well its done that matters. Rodrigo y Gabriella do an amazing version of Stairway to Heaven because its done so well.

If you enjoy it, play it.
people seem to have been misreading the first line of the thread.

its not about what songs you shouldn't cover.

its about what songs you shouldn't cover in front of a live audience by an amateur band some people can do a fantastic job covering the songs mentioned in a recording studio but when it comes to playing them live in front of people they tend to fall flat on their face.

for example my band have been nagging me to play Stairway for months now because at college I did a pretty decent recording of it and have managed to play it as an assessed piece (yet another distinction for it) as well BUT I will never play it live because its just one of those songs you CANT f**k up on and I dont feel confident enough to nail a song that huge live.

some bands are arrogant enough to think that they can and just end up ruining the point/feel/energy/emotion of the song.

like in the OP, the supporting band performed Whiskey in The Jar, Back in the USSR and Come Together and shouted all the lyrics, played them in a way that you could class them as really bad punk covers. even the promoter of the gig was saying how they shouldn't have done those songs because they just weren't good enough.

TLDR; Read the OP properly lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Last edited by Dave Frenzy at Jun 18, 2012,
Any song written by Eric Clapton or Mark Knopfler. As they are both horrible songwriters.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Covered in what?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Basti95
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt.
I dare you to say that about Johnny Cash's cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJm0RFc

Edit:
(...)list the songs that amateur bands should NEVER cover at gigs(...)
Oh, didn't read that line . Then I absolutely agree.
Last edited by Lightning_Ray at Jun 18, 2012,