Page 4 of 6
I don't know any songs that are so sacred. No cover has ever ruined an original song for me.

RATM - Killing in the name of
They have lots of other songs that are much better, but no... when a band covers a RATM song then it has to be this piece of shit.
Guess what! Fans aren't going to enjoy hearing some obscure album track from your favourite band... If you're gonna cover something, make sure it's a good song that people know.
We've recently brought both 'All Along the Watchtower' and 'Bohemian Like You' into our set and it's gone down incredibly well.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Leonard Cohen - "Hallelujah"

Covers are what made this song. Shut the **** up.
Quote by Random3
Machine Head don't tend to do bad covers though

Me personally, I can't stand their version of Message In A Bottle..or Hole In the Sky for that matter.

I normally tend to prefer covers that stray away from the original, but not if it's done in a way I don't like

Anyway, how did this turn into "songs amateur bands shouldn't cover" to "covers done by famous bands I don't like"?

OT. Sweet Child Of Mine, Stairway to Heaven and Smells Like Teen Spirit are obvious ones..they always tend to be butchered, especially the first two. Though I did di SLTS and it didn't turn out bad at all.

I'd also like to add that Bohemian Rhapsody is the number one enemy at any karaoke event. F*ck that shit...

Everybody hurts, Sweet Home Alabama and Wonderwall..just because they're so overdone now that whenever a band covers them at a concert you feel like leaving.

Kinda like the way Smoke on The Water is so overplayed I forgot that I would actually like that song otherwise.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Leonard Cohen - "Hallelujah"

Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Last edited by Krieger91 at Jun 18, 2012,
Rodrigo y Gabriella's cover of Stairway to Heaven is better than the original by a rather large margin.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Any Led Zeppelin song
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by MusicMan24
Any Led Zeppelin song

I have to agree with this, just because everybody and their dog has done one.

My band's covering Sweet Child O' Mine and Enter Sandman (not either of my choices)
Quote by robertsanidiot
Jesus died for their sins. It would be a waste if they just didn't sin it up. If you ask me, it's almost unchristian if you DON'T eat the kiddies.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote by due 07
LOL manlet
None, this thread is stupid.

A personal peeve is when bar bands or musicians play covers but always seem to choose the obvious choice of song. It just usually ends up being shitty versions of songs you've heard a million times before. Like...i'd rather see a band (assuming they're doing Zeppelin) covering Heartbreaker rather than Whole Lotta Love or Stairway. Not an unpopular choice but otherwise you get the feeling that they're appealing to the lowest common denominator in terms of music fans. Sorry if that sounds hipster-esque.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Enigmatic564

My band's covering Sweet Child O' Mine and Enter Sandman (not either of my choices)

They must've looked far and wide to find those gems, i'm surprised anyone else has even heard of them
Quote by Lightning_Ray
I dare you to say that about Johnny Cash's cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJm0RFc

Edit: Oh, didn't read that line . Then I absolutely agree.

Yeah, I agree. Johnny Cash's version is a million times better than the original.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
Yeah, I agree. Johnny Cash's version is a million times better than the original.

They're DIFFERENT. They each have their own meaning and feel behind them, i personally prefer the original for its uniqueness and because i know it from the context of The Downward Spiral. It's the epitome of a perfect ending to a perfect album.
In my view Johnny Cash turned it into a lovely, heartfelt acoustic song, touching but not quite so original an idea.
To each their own.
Last edited by Basti95 at Jun 18, 2012,
Quote by theogonia777
Wait a minute, hold the phone. Their version is crap. That's not acceptable at all. If it doesn't sound like this, this, this, etc it's just plain wrong. Simple as that.

****ing A.

The Dubliners should never. EVER. be covered.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
i covered some rammstein when i first started out. That shit is so easy a monkey could pick up a guitar and play ich will within 5 minutes
This song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Grq0epcLc
Quote by scorpsfan830
Anything by Ronnie James Dio or Chris Cornell, their voices are just too good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2DlueFfxuU

Quote by Random3
Machine Head don't tend to do bad covers though

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I'm a fan of BfmV, but they have a pretty shoddy cover of Sanitarium, although a lot of that had more to do with production than their ability to play it.

I thought their Creeping Death cover was actually quite good. The solo is BADASS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-J5LYPfrA
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 18, 2012,
Quote by Basti95

They're DIFFERENT. They each have their own meaning and feel behind them, i personally prefer the original for its uniqueness and because i know it from the context of The Downward Spiral. It's the epitome of a perfect ending to a perfect album.
In my view Johnny Cash turned it into a lovely, heartfelt acoustic song, touching but not quite so original an idea.
To each their own.

fanboy spotted
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
All these terrible covers make me want to listen to a good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quPliK3eAy4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
fanboy spotted

How does liking X over Y but admitting the merits of Y make you a fanboy?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by TOMMYB22
None, this thread is stupid.

A personal peeve is when bar bands or musicians play covers but always seem to choose the obvious choice of song. It just usually ends up being shitty versions of songs you've heard a million times before. Like...i'd rather see a band (assuming they're doing Zeppelin) covering Heartbreaker rather than Whole Lotta Love or Stairway. Not an unpopular choice but otherwise you get the feeling that they're appealing to the lowest common denominator in terms of music fans. Sorry if that sounds hipster-esque.

Well if your in a cover band or any other band for that matter it is playing to the lowest common denominator. Want to play rock? Be prepared to play the most boring shit on the plannet with "deep" lyrics, want to play metal? Breakdowns everywhere! You need to appeal to the greasy 12 year olds who wouldn't know heavy if it smashed them in the face with a hammer! Alternitive same crap. Blues have fun playing to a room of old people or guitarists that fevorishly masturbate to SRV. People do not want different music they want the same old crap.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Basti95

To each their own.

THIS

Sometimes I feel like Cash's version is only really loved because it has a video and because of the fact that he died.

/flameshield
Quote by Jyrgen
THIS

Sometimes I feel like Cash's version is only really loved because it has a video and because of the fact that he died.

/flameshield

I agree actually.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I've seen some good covers of Comfortably Numb, but the atrocious ones I've seen cancel them out. And then some. So I'm gonna say that.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Basti95

To each their own.

At the end of the day, it is still the same song though, so the comparison is perfectly valid.

Quote by Jyrgen
THIS

/flameshield

It is irrelevant to me, I did not know it when I first heard it. IMO Cash's version is superior because of the vocal delivery, and I really appreciate how the simple chords brought out the best of song.

I am not a fan of the dirty guitar, atonal piano variations or Trent's vocals, or the instrumentation in general, on the regular version.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Jun 18, 2012,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And there's 1460 versions better than Buckley's.

Fun fact:
you can have a number 1 hit if you record Hallelujah and then die.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Jeff Buckley's cover was awful.

/we've been over this, that's already been said, read the whole thread first, etc.

Quote by Todd Hart
How does liking X over Y but admitting the merits of Y make you a fanboy?

It doesn't, but it's a fairly well known fact that Basti is a huge NIN fanboy.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 18, 2012,
Quote by neidnarb11890
people need to stop covering Beethoven songs, because they will never be as good as the original!

+1
Quote by -Mantra-
I don't know any songs that are so sacred. No cover has ever ruined an original song for me.

RATM - Killing in the name of
They have lots of other songs that are much better, but no... when a band covers a RATM song then it has to be this piece of shit.

I saw a great jazz arrangement of Killing in the Name a while back. You can check it out here , it's surprisingly awesome. Got me trying to make jazz arrangements of other famous 90's songs before momentarily breaking down because I was terrible at it.

And also

Quote by Todd Hart
Rodrigo y Gabriella's cover of Stairway to Heaven is better than the original by a rather large margin.

+1000
*insert trying-too-hard-to-be-ironic link to my crappy music here*
Quote by Demon Wolf
At the end of the day, it is still the same song though, so the comparison is perfectly valid.

The problem is that the two songs belong to very different genres, which means you have two entirely different crowds liking one or the other song. In general it seems Nine Inch Nails take some getting used to, while Johnny Cash is very easy listening, and this goes for the song as well.

Also there's something to be said for the context of Cash's version: everyone knows he's an old man who isn't going to be around for long, it's not about drugs, it has a very well made video and his voice being that of an elderly man makes it sound all broken up and emotional. Basically he could have been singing Oh Mandy and people would've cried.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

And I bet you can't find even one of them anywhere.
Quote by Paraffinity
And I bet you can't find even one of them anywhere.

A guy covering Hallelujah by farting on a snare drum would be better.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Paraffinity
Covers are what made this song. Shut the **** up.

No. Leonard Cohen made the song and his version is still superior. Obviously.

I wouldn't like to hear anyone covering Tim Buckley however as no one can come close to his voice and it would just sound lame.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jun 18, 2012,
Wonderwall, much as I love the song I'm fed up of hearing people cover it.

Unless I cover it, then it's obviously amazing.