Page 5 of 6
Quote by frankv
Why is everyone ripping on Jeff Buckley? To be fair, Hallelujah is probably my second or third least favourite song on Grace, but still. What makes it sooo terrible?

I didn't say Jeff's version is bad at all. It's a good song. But Cohen's version is so powerful. Especially the second verse. Goosebumps.

"Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah"

I think Cohen manages to put together his voice and the lyrics a lot better and makes it so goddamn powerful at specific words and lines.

And I might be bitter on Jeff because I think his father, Tim, deserves more credit than Jeff.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jun 18, 2012,
"Sex on Fire". I hate playing that damn song. Mr Brightside too. I do a lot of covers, and loathe both of them.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

And "Rosanna" by Toto, because most drummers **** up the "Porcaro shuffle", the harmonies are hard to get right, and most guitarists mess up the run at the end of the solo and fluff the outro solo too.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I thought their Creeping Death cover was actually quite good. The solo is BADASS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-J5LYPfrA

Wow, that was a great cover!
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I didn't say Jeff's version is bad at all. It's a good song. But Cohen's version is so powerful. Especially the second verse. Goosebumps.

"Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah"

I think Cohen manages to put together his voice and the lyrics a lot better and makes it so goddamn powerful at specific words and lines.

And I might be bitter on Jeff because I think his father, Tim, deserves more credit than Jeff.

I meant comments like:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
A guy covering Hallelujah by farting on a snare drum would be better.

I suppose you make a good point. While Jeff sounds pretty, he's also being a bit of a pussy with his delivery. It's actually why I dislike John Mayer's Free Fallin' cover so much. If you really feel like you're falling from the sky towards the Earth, why don't fucking act like and scream, boy?
Quote by jimbob78
"Sex on Fire". I hate playing that damn song.

That song should never be. period.
Quote by frankv
I meant comments like:

I suppose you make a good point. While Jeff sounds pretty, he's also being a bit of a pussy with his delivery. It's actually why I dislike John Mayer's Free Fallin' cover so much. If you really feel like you're falling from the sky towards the Earth, why don't fucking act like and scream, boy?

In fact, I was ripping on the song. IMO, there's no 'good' version of it, including Lenny Cohen's original.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by losing battle
Well if your in a cover band or any other band for that matter it is playing to the lowest common denominator. Want to play rock? Be prepared to play the most boring shit on the plannet with "deep" lyrics, want to play metal? Breakdowns everywhere! You need to appeal to the greasy 12 year olds who wouldn't know heavy if it smashed them in the face with a hammer! Alternitive same crap. Blues have fun playing to a room of old people or guitarists that fevorishly masturbate to SRV. People do not want different music they want the same old crap.

as much as I hate to agree, this is true.

its the reason that good amateur bands cant seem to get anywhere now. people want to hear the same old crap instead of new, original music.

people would rather watch a cover band than hear something new. it sucks but thats why the bottom rung of the metaphorical ladder is so hard to climb. you need to be so good that people want to hear terrible covers of YOUR songs.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Anything by Syd Barrett more or less.
Except when I do it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I suppose when a signed band, i.e. one that is at least marginally famous, does a cover, they put there own style on it. They make it there own and do not just trudge through the same song everyone has heard a million times e.g. Joe Cocker's and Richie Haven's cover of "With a Little Help from my Friends" both sound different from the original and each other.
Would you pay for UG?

Quote by Duffman123
Fuck no lol.

If I want to pay for awful news articles I'll buy the Daily Mail.
Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody comes to mind immediately. In a bar once, there were these two fat guys at the Karoake and guess what song they chose? That's right--Bohemian Rhapsody. What were they thinking? They totally butchered the song. They could not even come close to hitting the high notes that Freddy did. I could actually see some of the bar patrons hitting the exits to get away from the "sheer awfulness" of the scene. Yuck.

ron666
Milk It - Nirvana. Simply because it's a song that would be terrible by any other band.
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Quote by SOADplayer2
I don't know what you'll all make of this, but I think this is a good cover of Stairway to Heaven :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEk8wTB7UfU

A terrible cover by great guitarists.

On topic: Any Rolling Stones song, seriously, stop covering Gimme Shelter and Wild Horses if you don't even know what tuning these were in to begin with.
Quote by 5thCircuitRider
A terrible cover by great guitarists.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't like it?
Quote by SOADplayer2
Do you mind if I ask why you don't like it?

Completely misses the mark on the mood and vibe of the original. Like I said, they are great guitarists, I am a fan, but this is barely even a cover in most places.
Because I Got High by Afro Man, should never be covered.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by SOADplayer2
I don't know what you'll all make of this, but I think this is a good cover of Stairway to Heaven :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEk8wTB7UfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPOIy4Kb9M4
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by 5thCircuitRider
Completely misses the mark on the mood and vibe of the original. Like I said, they are great guitarists, I am a fan, but this is barely even a cover in most places.

I see your point, it does barely resemble the original, but I still enjoy the cover as a piece of music, almost completely separate from the original.

And @treborillusion, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the Rolf Harris video (maybe you were saying the the Rodrigo y Gabriela version bore as much resemblance to the original as Rolf's?), but it made me laugh anyway.
I've seen covers bands do Sweet Child O' Mine and it was awesome because I was smashed and they didn't take it too seriously at all, wearing wigs and doing the encore late etc.

If it's completely serious and it sucks, well that's pretty bad, even doing it well and serious can be quite cringeworthy.

If it's a joke, everyone sings along regardless. Happy days .
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
I've seen covers bands do Sweet Child O' Mine and it was awesome because I was smashed and they didn't take it too seriously at all, wearing wigs and doing the encore late etc.

If it's completely serious and it sucks, well that's pretty bad, even doing it well and serious can be quite cringeworthy.

If it's a joke, everyone sings along regardless. Happy days .

Does this fit into the first category or the second?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfT-Yhi6Wg
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 20, 2013,
I think any cover is cool as long as the band tries to do something new with it. Note-for-note covers are boring.
Quote by PacificOcean

Seek & Destroy.

I think RHCP do a really good live cover. Their studio version is not aggressive enough though.
The Times They Are a-Changin', Bob Dylan.

No one should be able to cover this song. Ever. Period.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Opposite of the thread title, but I heard "Roundabout" by Yes on the radio today and thought it would sound awesome if Protest the Hero covered it. I'm not a big fan of them but I think they would do a good job.
sunbather is shit
Quote by PacificOcean
Paranoid android.
Seek & Destroy.
Tears in heaven.

I thought Weezer's version of Paranoid Android wasn't bad
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm