User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
EndTheRapture51
SK8R BOI

Teaching

Hello UG

Some of you are teachers - not guitar teachers but actual teachers. I've seen a lot of people I know recently go into teaching and that is great, especially if they're passionate about it. Personally it's not for me but it'd be interesting to hear why you find teaching great and what brought you into it.

I've also recently seen one of my masters supervisors finish her PhD and become a teacher. I find this an odd decision to say at the least since it seems like a waste of resources and training in high level academic research at the cutting edge of science only to become a school teacher.

c u l8r boi
EndTheRapture51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
korinaflyingv
Pick Rich

All my friends who are teachers now wish they had never become teachers.
korinaflyingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Dreadnought
Casually aloof

I would love to be a teacher. That's my plan after my "main career" is exhausted
Old 01-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

I'm a teacher because it's part of a tuition waiver I get. I mean, I like it and all, but I wouldn't choose it as a profession. I talked to a guy who also got his M.A. in English, but he went into teaching. He said it was just year after year of trying to fix the same problems that never actually got fixed and he got really burnt out. He went into higher ed administration after that, which is also where I'd like to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
MeGaDeth2314
UG Addict

I love teaching private lessons/tutoring. I feel like I'm really good at working individually with students but I've been in several classroom type environments and I just get extremely stressed and feel guilty if not all the students are understanding the material.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Neo Evil11
Feminist

Some people find out too late that they like teaching.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

I think it would depend on what you are teaching, where and to whom, right?

I wouldn't mind going into teaching (among other things) when I'm older, but only in a specialized subject related to my career that I'm invested in and like, and to a group of college students or other adults trying to learn that.
However, I would never try to be a highschool teacher for instance, specially not in the public sector (with the constant infrastructure and institutional problems, low pay, problems with parents, constant strikes and fighting with the goverment, etc). I wouldn't see me having any sort of passion teaching geography/history/etc and stuff like that

Last edited by gonzaw : 01-01-2016 at 07:55 PM.
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Mistress_Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinaflyingv
All my friends who are teachers now wish they had never become teachers.

As a secondary school teacher, yeah basically this.

And you're right, it is a waste of your knowledge to spend all day stopping little Timmy from punching little Sophie.

If you want the best work/life balance and the best intellectual challenge, teach at a 6th form/FE College where you can actually engage with the learners as responsible adults and teach your subject, not 'how to sit in a chair' or 'how to use a pen without snapping bits of it off to throw at little Timmy'.

Mistress_Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

It feels like school/highschool teaching is more about you trying to be a positive influence on someone else's life, which, if done right, may shape them up to live a great life (and you feeling good about that), rather than being passionate about "passing down your knowledge" or stuff like that. Something like being a secondary parent.

Seems like something like "teaching" can either mean something more emotional to you, or something more technical/rational (teaching down specific knowledge), and everything in between.

Shouldn't there be different labels for it then?
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
Rossenrot
👻

Teaching history at a high school level has always appealed to me.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
neidnarb11890
maybe partying will help

I just wanted to keep studying & reading/writing about books so I figured I'd go to grad school & some day way down the road I would end up teaching (I was doing English lit., so that is pretty much the only thing you do), but I wound up getting a position teaching freshman composition with acceptance into a M.A. program, so I kinda got thrown into it, & then I though "hey, this is alright." I don't really have the will to go through the PhD. process, so now I am trying to go back & get a state teaching certification.

To be honest, I was kinda trying to avoid teaching, at least until I could see what else was out there, but after spending 5 months applying to positions with no luck, I found myself interviewing for a couple sales/marketing gigs only to hear that I did not have enough experience -- fine by me, 'cuz they would have fucking sucked anyway. So I figured "Jesus Christ, I got a damn graduate degree & I'm not qualified for a job. Might as well just teach."

I don't know, maybe I'll end up doing something else in the future, but it seems dumb to hang around spinning my wheels at a bunch of crummy jobs or scrambling for adjunct paychecks just to pay the rent when I could have a pretty good job doing something I'm actually interested in. I mean, teaching seems to me like a pretty good job, anyway.
neidnarb11890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #12
jakesmellspoo
UG Monkey

i'd have to teach at some Catholic school where i could get away with throwing a desk or combo lock at a shithead kid.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
personally, i like butt
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neidnarb11890
I just wanted to keep studying & reading/writing about books so I figured I'd go to grad school & some day way down the road I would end up teaching (I was doing English lit., so that is pretty much the only thing you do), but I wound up getting a position teaching freshman composition with acceptance into a M.A. program, so I kinda got thrown into it, & then I though "hey, this is alright." I don't really have the will to go through the PhD. process, so now I am trying to go back & get a state teaching certification.

To be honest, I was kinda trying to avoid teaching, at least until I could see what else was out there, but after spending 5 months applying to positions with no luck, I found myself interviewing for a couple sales/marketing gigs only to hear that I did not have enough experience -- fine by me, 'cuz they would have fucking sucked anyway. So I figured "Jesus Christ, I got a damn graduate degree & I'm not qualified for a job. Might as well just teach."

I don't know, maybe I'll end up doing something else in the future, but it seems dumb to hang around spinning my wheels at a bunch of crummy jobs or scrambling for adjunct paychecks just to pay the rent when I could have a pretty good job doing something I'm actually interested in. I mean, teaching seems to me like a pretty good job, anyway.

that's the thing with English degrees. you can always fall back on teaching if you have to

Quote:
brot pls
Old 01-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
chrismendiola
Income tax is illegal

Teacher? I hardly know her.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #15
mattedbird
i've never heard of that

Why are teachers always saying they don't make enough? Didn't they look into what it pays before they went and got that masters?

Last edited by mattedbird : 01-02-2016 at 09:43 AM.
mattedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #16
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedbird
Why are teachers always say they don't make enough? Didn't they look into what it pays before they went and got that masters?

I don't think they understand. Not everyone goes into a career because of how much it makes. At the same time, some careers do not earn enough based on the work put in. Teachers do not earn enough based on the time they have to put into their jobs, the training required, and what they have to deal with.

Quote:
brot pls
Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #17
Rossenrot
👻

Ha, my gym teacher made $60k for working 9 months a year from 8:00-2:30 with spring break, winter break, and every federal holiday off.

Slavery.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #18
stratdud39
poopdud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51

I've also recently seen one of my masters supervisors finish her PhD and become a teacher. I find this an odd decision to say at the least since it seems like a waste of resources and training in high level academic research at the cutting edge of science only to become a school teacher.

"only to become a school teacher"? I feel like that's rather condescending..
Teaching can be immediately rewarding whereas "high level academic research" takes months upon months to even get the ball rolling - depending on the type of research it can take years upon years to finish just one project. This could be why she chose to teach
stratdud39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #19
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossenrot
Ha, my gym teacher made $60k for working 9 months a year from 8:00-2:30 with spring break, winter break, and every federal holiday off.

Slavery.

Our teachers make like 40,000 a year working 40 hours a week, plus all the stuff they have to do on their own time. Plus all the supplies they have to buy for their classes due to a lack of funding.

and kids, man. I don't know how anyone fucking stands them getting paid that much after getting a college degree and shit. and dealing with the parents

Quote:
brot pls
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #20
Rossenrot
👻

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
Our teachers make like 40,000 a year working 40 hours a week, plus all the stuff they have to do on their own time. Plus all the supplies they have to buy for their classes due to a lack of funding.

and kids, man. I don't know how anyone fucking stands them getting paid that much after getting a college degree and shit. and dealing with the parents

They don't make $40,000 a year. They make on average over $50,000 for 9 months, minus the above mentioned holidays. It's a lot of money, plus retirement, plus benefits, plus union protections. I'm also not sure where you get this lack of funding idea either; we spend more per pupil than any other nation.

Also, lets face it, BAs in Education are a joke. I'm not sympathetic to anyone who chooses to work with kids that complains about working with kids, either.

Rate This Thread: